Manorexia

This is from the front page of today’s Regina Leader-Post. Here’s the first paragraph of the article, entitled “‘Scrawny’ look is in with teens”:

It goes on to give some examples and throws around some what I assume to be big names in the fashion and entertainment world, and then talks a little bit about eating disorders in high school students (11 percent of total, 20-30 of which are male). It wraps up with some people (experts?) commenting on “how scary” this trend is.

I thought all was lost, until I read the quote from a guy involved in an international study on the genetics of anorexia:

“The media has some effect,” [Woodside] says, but adds, “I don’t think it will overcome the enormous drive for men in our culture to be big. In lay terms, the musculay guy gets the girl, not the skinny hipster.”

Perhaps there is hope yet…

Did this make it any other newspapers across the globe? You know life is pretty good when something such as this makes the front-page…

-FC

I think, like all things “pop”, this is only temporary. Maybe it is the backlash for the larger action-star physiques in the late 80’s and 90’s. Either way, I don’t base my life goals on what’s in at the moment. It comes and goes too fast. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be weak and skinny for the rest of my life. My goal was never to blend in completely anyway. I love standing out.

I’d bet a hundred bucks you had at least one ‘Eddie Murphy’ outfit, ProfX.

You know what I’m talking about…the leather one he wore when he recorded “Raw”?

dammit, picturing ProfX in an “Eddie Murphy” outfit from “Raw” is making me “Delirious.”

Kind of makes you want to “Party all the Time”?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’d bet a hundred bucks you had at least one ‘Eddie Murphy’ outfit, ProfX.

You know what I’m talking about…the leather one he wore when he recorded “Raw”?[/quote]

Yes, but mine was crotchless.

That just made me throw up a little bit.

To quip about the topic, I am quite surprised to see so many guys who are into new-punk-rock who wear tight black jeans tapering at the bottom, clinging to their skinny legs. I’m glad because they will kill two birds with one stone: they will not only let all other guys have the women, but they will soak up and absorb all the crazy girls who are into that type of physique, thereby keeping them out of sight of prowling men… like myself that is.

Which is bad, because they are probably the ones I have the best chance with, but don’t want to admit it.

good stuff heowww.

Truth is when it comes down to it most girls, at least that I know and have known, want a guy that makes them feel safe etc. The big guy will always be more desireable than the hip skinny guy.

Thin may be in, but there’s not one of those “manorexic” guys that doesn’t wish he was jacked. Recent studies have shown that 95% of college males are dissatisfied with one or more of their body parts. Ask ANY guy if he wouldn’t mind having bigger arms, and see what you get for answers. There have also been studies in the U.S., France, and Austria in which males were measured for height, weight, and FFMI (fat free mass index), and then asked to choose from a grid of 100 physiques varying from scrawny to hyooooooge (basically 10 levels of muscularity and 10 levels of fatness). They were then asked:

Which physique best represents you?
Which physique best represents your ideal physique?
and
Which physique best represents what you think women find attractive?

The results were that the ideal physique picked was on average 28lbs more muscular than the test subject, and the test subject thought that women preferred a physique that was on average 30lbs more muscular than himself.

Just some interesting info.

As a “manorexic” by nature, not by choice, let me give me perspective.

Woohoo, my look is in! Um…

Anyway, yes, I really hated hot skinny I was when I was a kid. I had a serious complex about it. Then, when I got into my late 20’s and early 30’s, working at Microsoft 60 hours a week, eating catered in crappy dinners and lunches made at Marriott food service (more crap), I developed a gut. Now, I don’t know about you, but there’s not much I find more unappealing than a skinny guy with a gut.

For many reasons, I changed over the past year. This past spring I got tired of my gut and just started eating right. Gut gone. Back to skinny. But you know what, I finally understood what RULES about being thin. I look so freakin good in clothes. I mean, I can pull off fashions that nobody else I know (personally) can do. I’m not ashamed of being thin anymore. And, to be honest, nice flat abs look pretty damn good nekid, even for skinny guys.

Still… I wasn’t satisfied. Which is finally why I hit the gym. And, which is why I found my way here.

I want more definition. I want a real chest. I want arms that aren’t sticks. I don’t ask for much! But the cool thing is, unlike when my younger metabolism would let me eat anything and everything without gaining an ounce, and weight training did nothing, now I finally get results.

The point of my meandering story? I won’t give up thin. I just look too damn good in clothes. But I have already started building a chest, find lats muscles I didn’t even know I had, discovered biceps, and am working on the rest.

But I have no desire to look like a power lifter or even competition bodybuilder. I want “just enough” muscle, not a lot more.

My goal is to be well defined with some meat on me, without becoming “big”.

So far, so good.

Bottom line, most people want to be something else. Now here’s a success story ;0) found on the Net:

[quote]michaelv wrote:

The point of my meandering story? I won’t give up thin. I just look too damn good in clothes. But I have already started building a chest, find lats muscles I didn’t even know I had, discovered biceps, and am working on the rest.

But I have no desire to look like a power lifter or even competition bodybuilder. I want “just enough” muscle, not a lot more.

My goal is to be well defined with some meat on me, without becoming “big”.

So far, so good.[/quote]

Why are you on this site? Honestly. You think the skinnier you are, the better you look in clothes? What kind of clothes are you wearing? Not that everyone needs to look like a competitive bodybuilder, but you don’t think broad shoulders, a smaller waist and a decent chest look good in clothing? Girls just hate that, huh?

For the record, I have never seen a woman run up and start feeling on a skinny dude’s arms or rubbing on his chest. Things like that happen when your body fills out the clothes you are in. Reading your post, I almost forgot what forum I was on. Are some guys in pink polyester about to show up at my house and show me an eye for fashion? If so, let me grab my rifle.

The Tommy Lee and Syd Vicious wiry rock star types will always get chicks.

Thing is that those guys aren’t skinny geeks, they are rock stars, they are artists, they cater to many of the OTHER female fantasies.

Be nice, Prof.

If you don’t learn to let people move at their own pace, the advice you offer will fall on deaf ears. You’ve butted against this wall in at least a half dozen threads, I’ve yet to see anyone admit to an epiphany in response.

What if I’d derided you for wanting to be 185 years ago?

DI

[quote]KnightRT wrote:

What if I’d derided you for wanting to be 185 years ago?

DI[/quote]

I would ask you to ride elsewhere. I don’t do that kinky stuff.

I understand we all don’t have the same goals…however, I do find it strange that there seem to be quite a few who have no real goal as far as building any decent amount of muscle mass. I just don’t understand the mentality. I would expect that this site would not appeal to someone like that. It is a little like someone from here jumping on a website for fat acceptance and writing a long essay about how much they want to avoid obesity in the first place.

Lemme find one of these fuckin manorexic bitches so I can bash his motherfuckin skull in. Talk about a party man.

In my experience I see many women around the light in the ass guys but I don’t think the kid’s are getting any ass, most of the girls although they don’t admit it want the big guy

[quote]superpimp wrote:
In my experience I see many women around the light in the ass guys but I don’t think the kid’s are getting any ass, most of the girls although they don’t admit it want the big guy[/quote]

Let’s not kid ourselves. Do they really want the “big guy” or do they just want the confidence associated with the big guy? The same study that I spoke of above polled women in Austria as to which male physique they were most attracted to. The results were that they were most attracted to a male body only 5-7lbs more muscular than dead center average for that population.

I know for a fact that women are attracted to confidence, and I know for a fact that the muscle I carry around makes me a more confident, better poised individual. I think that muscle evokes not only the obvious physical change, but a distinct mental and attitude change in knowing that you are larger and stronger than the guy standing next to you. The women that will go home with the guy with the biggest thighs in the place are very few and far between.

This topic comes up all the time. Like every other issue between men and women, what men think women want and what women really want are two different things. Just like Jared’s study results show, men think women want BIG men, but when women are polled, their ultimate physique (on average mind you as there are exceptions) is an in-shape, but not much more muscular than average. One universal trait among women, however, is that they are ALL ridiculously attracted to men whose bank accounts are significantly larger than average. How else do you explain how Donald Trump makes the sexiest man lists every year? Women can crow all they want about his confidence and passion, but these are assumptions they make about him because sub-consciously, they are attracted to his money.

DB