T Nation

Manny Pacquiao vs Oscar Delahoya

I know it’s three months away but I’m to excited not to talk about it. I’m gonna make a bold prediction, Manny TKO!!! A boxer
in his prime always beats a has- been. Height and weight won’t matter for a fight like this.

nobody likes boxing? or nobody likes me?

[quote]nomorewar wrote:

Manny TKO[/quote]

Concur

The only time Oscar got ko’d was against a bigger Hopkins. I don’t think Pac can do that, but I’m hoping he does.
Funny thing about Oscar, he makes 30+mil a fight, but his past super fights, Mayweather, Hopkins, Mosley twice, he’s lost. People just keep paying and it looks like I will too.

[quote]nomorewar wrote:

I know it’s three months away but I’m to excited not to talk about it. I’m gonna make a bold prediction, Manny TKO!!! A boxer
in his prime always beats a has- been. Height and weight won’t matter for a fight like this. [/quote]

Careful.

It should be well known my feelings on crossdressin Oscar- I don’t like him, and I hate Golden boy promotions.

However, last year he gave Floyd the best fight he’s had since Castillo in 2001, and even though he didn’t KO Forbes he still ran a clinic on the guy.

He’s naturally much larger than Pac, and Pac has never fought this high in his life. Although Pacman’s power translated well to the 135 class, I don’t know about 147.

Now, on the other hand, De La Hoya is old, and hasn’t fought at 147 in about 7 years. Draining down to that weight may take a lot out of him, and make him far less than fresh for the fight.

He is much taller than Manny however, almost four inches or so, and Oscar’s greatest weapon is his jab and left hook. Pacman is not a swarmer, either, so I don’t know that he’ll be able to close the distance effectively enough in order to get inside on DLH. Even if he did, he’s not a body puncher…

I don’t know. I love Pacman and hope he knocks DLH on his ass, but I don’t see it happen. The size difference is too great, and unless DLH comes in seriously dehydrated and old looking, I see him KO’ing Pacman sometime in the eighth.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
nomorewar wrote:

in his prime always beats a has- been. Height and weight won’t matter for a fight like this.

Careful.

It should be well known my feelings on crossdressin Oscar- I don’t like him, and I hate Golden boy promotions.

However, last year he gave Floyd the best fight he’s had since Castillo in 2001, and even though he didn’t KO Forbes he still ran a clinic on the guy.

He’s naturally much larger than Pac, and Pac has never fought this high in his life. Although Pacman’s power translated well to the 135 class, I don’t know about 147.

Now, on the other hand, De La Hoya is old, and hasn’t fought at 147 in about 7 years. Draining down to that weight may take a lot out of him, and make him far less than fresh for the fight.

He is much taller than Manny however, almost four inches or so, and Oscar’s greatest weapon is his jab and left hook. Pacman is not a swarmer, either, so I don’t know that he’ll be able to close the distance effectively enough in order to get inside on DLH. Even if he did, he’s not a body puncher…

I don’t know. I love Pacman and hope he knocks DLH on his ass, but I don’t see it happen. The size difference is too great, and unless DLH comes in seriously dehydrated and old looking, I see him KO’ing Pacman sometime in the eighth.[/quote]

Pacs team is smart for having DLH fight at 147, a weight that DLH will definitely have a hard time dropping to. A good example is how dehydrated Morales looked in his third fight with Pac.
But I think DLH’s jab is going to be too much for Pac to overcome. Pac has a hard time with fighters with good jabs, such as Marquez and Morales in the first fight. I’ve always found this strange since right handed fighters should have a hard time throwing jabs at lefties. Oh well.

nomorewar wrote:

Careful.

I don’t know. I love Pacman and hope he knocks DLH on his ass, but I don’t see it happen. The size difference is too great, and unless DLH comes in seriously dehydrated and old looking, I see him KO’ing Pacman sometime in the eighth.[/quote]

what happened to Ricky?

The big fight is this Saturday!!!
So I’ve resurrected this thread. Manny By Ko. Who wants to bet???

this is going to be an epic fight. Both competitors are incredible fighters but my money is on DLH.

Pacman is a wolverine but the natural weight issue is too real to ignore; all fighters suffer when they go too high or low in weight from what they are used to fighting at.

Combat Sports.

If you guys really think Pac is going to win, you’re delusional.

He’s fighting 12 pounds higher than he’s ever fought before, but he’s been wobbled by JMM at what weight? 130?

And now you’re putting him in there against a guy who’s fought at as heavy as 160 and who has one of the most gorgeous left hooks in the game. Not to mention Oscar is 4 inches taller.

Don’t get me wrong- I’m pulling for him. He’s an undersized southpaw slugger, and I admire that being two of those three things myself.

And it’s possible for him to pull off an upset- De La Fishnets hasn’t fought at 147 in years, and may come out looking old and drained. But I doubt it.

I think it’s going to be more of a boxing match then a brawl, with DLH keeping him away with the jab and landed heavy left hooks that eventually will end the match sometime in the 8/9 round in a KO.

DLH is a pussy for doing this when he should be fighting Williams (who looked awesome last week) Margarito (the true 147 champ) or Cotto (the best boxer puncher out there now).

I won’t buy this fight. DLH may be conning casual fans with this, but he won’t get a fucking nickel of my money.

I think De la Hoya is doing this to lead up to fighting Margarito, to see if he can beat him.

[quote]drewh wrote:
I think De la Hoya is doing this to lead up to fighting Margarito, to see if he can beat him.[/quote]

You will never see De La Homo in the ring with Antonio Margarito. Ever.

drewh wrote:
I think De la Hoya is doing this to lead up to fighting Margarito, to see if he can beat him.

You will never see De La Homo in the ring with Antonio Margarito. Ever. [/quote]

I do hope Pacquiao upsets Oscar, I’ve never been a fan of his and it’s fun watching him bitch and whine when he loses. I do hope regardless of whether or not he loses, that Pacman gets the respect he deserves. Oscar refused to go up in weight to fight Pavlik but will go after a smaller fighter just to make himself look good and richer, and Pacman’s got the balls to fight a disadvantaged fight.

Plus, there is no way in hell Oscar will take on Margarito or Cotto, I personally think he’s hoping he can get Mayweather jr to come out of retirement for another huge payday pretty boy can’t refuse. He might try to go after Tito, knowing he’s past his best days and can have an easier time avenging his loss. Same thing goes for another fight with Mosley. Who knows what he does, after all, the asshole is the “savior” of boxing, whatever. He’s lost every major fight he’s had, and yet they consider him amongs the greatest? Gimmie a break, had he entered the peak of the Leonard, Hagler, Hearns era, he wouldn’t even be a footnote.

Hes definetely not retiring if he wins, so who does he fight, im saying Margarito or someone respectable. Please enough with the homo jokes the guys done way better than everyone on this site plus his wife is really pretty, he’s got two kids and the crossdressing photos were obviously photoshopped. Im mexican american and i laugh when people talk about how Mexican fans dont back him. Well duh hes Mexican American not Mexican, they are far from interchangeable.

That said, I am dissappointed in Oscars career I really think he had the talent to be top ten of all time, but he never seemed focused with fighting, with his promoting, singing etc… Even unfocused most fights lost were split decisions, the judges were on crack in the Trinidad fight and he was super close to beating Mayweather.

The way I want the fight to go is Pac dominates DLH with his hand speed, aggressiveness, and endurance.
But the gambler in me sees DLH using his superior boxing skills and jab to out-box Pac. DLH being left handed doesn’t have the power in his right hand to dominate Pac, but will use it to set up his left hook.
It’s a no lose situation for Pac. If he wins, people will praise him for beating a much bigger opponent. If he loses, well, he wasn’t supposed to beat DLH in the first place. No matter what, Pac gets the biggest pay day in his career.

[quote]drewh wrote:
Hes definetely not retiring if he wins, so who does he fight, im saying Margarito or someone respectable. Please enough with the homo jokes the guys done way better than everyone on this site plus his wife is really pretty, he’s got two kids and the crossdressing photos were obviously photoshopped. Im mexican american and i laugh when people talk about how Mexican fans dont back him. Well duh hes Mexican American not Mexican, they are far from interchangeable.
[/quote]

He has not done “better” than anyone on this site. Many people on this site probably like their lives, and are pretty damn happy with them and where they’re going. Especially in twenty years when Oscar could be shaking like Freddie Roach (not saying I want him to, but it’s a little likely with boxers). “Better” is a relative term, remember that.

On top of that, I could give two fucks if he has a pretty wife and two kids. So does kevin Federline. Wanna be like him?

[quote]
That said, I am dissappointed in Oscars career I really think he had the talent to be top ten of all time, but he never seemed focused with fighting, with his promoting, singing etc… Even unfocused most fights lost were split decisions, the judges were on crack in the Trinidad fight and he was super close to beating Mayweather.[/quote]

I don’t disagree with that.

You miseed the point of the post i just was saying hes far from gay hence the kids and wife mention

I hope Pacman deffies the odds and beats DLH. It would be pretty impressive. I have feeling he won’t though. Oscar is just too much bigger and fights well against smaller guys. I don’t think Pac will have the same speed and power as at lower weights and DLH’s precisejabs will negate the speed anyway. Plus Oscar is eating for his bloodtype (O+, very specialized plan I’m sure,so rare) and gobbling up a bunch of deer and kangaroo meat according to interviews.