T Nation

Manny Pacquiao is a Greedy Douche

Hatton calls off fight with Pacquiao

After Philippine boxing star Manny Pacquiao fails to meet a deadline for a deal on a May 2 fight in England, Ricky Hatton tells his promoter to seek other opponents.
By Lance Pugmire

12:16 PM PST, January 21, 2009

What would’ve been Manny Pacquiao’s most lucrative fight yet has been called off by his scheduled May 2 opponent Ricky Hatton, whose camp grew tired of waiting for the Philippine star to sign a contract.

Hatton’s camp on Tuesday informed his promoter, Richard Schaefer of Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, that Pacquiao had until early today to agree to terms in a signed deal or that Schaefer should begin seeking other opponents for a May 2 fight in England, including De La Hoya.

When that signed contract never materialized by fax at Schaefer’s downtown Los Angeles office, and there was no indication it was coming, Schaefer proclaimed, “The fight is off.”

Schaefer said he has canceled a press tour with the fighters to promote Pacquiao-Hatton in the U.K. next week, and that he feels as burned as he did about two years ago when Pacquiao accepted a briefcase filled with $250,000 in cash from Schaefer and De La Hoya to join Golden Boy Promotions, then recanted and signed with Bob Arum’s Top Rank promotions.

“I don’t know what he’s thinking,” Schaefer said. "What a waste of time, money and effort. Am I surprised he’s changed his mind? No. He did it to me two years ago. We had booked the planes, the hotels, printed the press kits for the press tour. It was all ready to go, a big production.

“Frankly, I’m disgusted at the behavior of Manny Pacquiao. He’s a spoiled young kid who doesn’t know how to behave.”

Pacquiao produced a fighter-of-the-year campaign in 2008, beating Juan Manuel Marquez by decision to win a world super-featherweight title, knocking out David Diaz to claim a world lightweight belt and then hammering De La Hoya in a non-title welterweight bout.

Arum late Tuesday also expressed great frustration at Pacquiao’s hesitance to sign a deal, which would have given him a slightly greater split of a verbal 50-50 split of the purse with some extra promotional profits thrown his way. Arum had boarded a plane to Los Angeles this morning and was not immediately available for comment, a Top Rank spokesman said.

Hatton has told Schaefer to explore possible May 2 foes at Wembley Stadium, including the winner of next month’s lightweight bout between Marquez and Juan Diaz, or De La Hoya, or Floyd Mayweather Jr., who knocked out Hatton in late 2007 and has let it be known he’s ready to end his brief retirement.

De La Hoya is in Southern California this week to watch his fighter Shane Mosley challenge world welterweight champion Antonio Margarito at Staples Center. It appeared he was headed to retirement after his sluggish showing against Pacquiao on Dec. 6, when De La Hoya failed to answer the bell for the ninth round after a thorough beating.

“I’ll talk to Oscar,” Schaefer said. “I don’t know what he’ll do. We’ll sit down and talk about it this week.”

What the hell is he thinking? He’s got a chance to build a legacy for himself by facting Hatton then possibly Mayweather jr, to become a fighter of the year for 2nd year in the row (if he beat either men that is) but now he’s going to act the typical greedy piece of shit seen my most overpaid athletes? He got recognition and a fan base he never would have had without the De La Hoya fight and he’s going to piss that away? What a fucking moron. If he does end up facing Mayweather, I hope he get’s knocked on his ass.

Hatton’s father was interviewed on BBC Radio 5 this evening. The general impression that while Manny is indeed being a greedy douche, and is messing everyone around over his contract, this is essentially brinksmanship and the fight will probably still happen.

I hope so. It’d be a Fight of the Year immediately, and I’d hate to see it get canceled. i’m sure you guys get more news on it then I do- whatever I get comes off the wire, being as our fucking TV stations never cover boxing. Ever.

…manny would be the last boxer i would call a greedy douche.

this guy does more charity work than the fuckin vatican.

simma down now eh?

besides, manny vs mayweather would be a better fight anyway

Manny has produced 5 years of BRILLIANT Boxing matches, he has spent hundreds of hours training, dieting. The kid is rich, he’s a fucking superstar in the Philippines, and so he doesn’t need Hatton, doesn’t need Boxing, doesn’t need the fans or their money. And he DEFINITELY doesn’t care about some guy on the net, who’s worth 1% of his wealth, calling him a “douche”.

Can’t blame Pac for wanting more money. He’s in a sport where you can be permanently injured or die. So he should make as much money as he can. Also, because of his past wins he’s gained more power to bargain for what he wants.

I disagree. Hatton is the champ at 140, and brings way more money to the table than Manny does.

Not for nothing, but the Philippines doesn’t buy fights like the UK, and sure as fuck doesn’t gamble on it like the British fans do. And they sure as hell don’t fly 3,000 miles to go see their boy fight.

Someone is whispering in Pac’s ear, or was. And he DID need Hatton, otherwise he wouldn’t have signed on. He thought he could take advantage in order to fuck Ricky, and I bet he was surprised when Ricky walked away… because that meant that Pac wasn’t going to get the the biggest purse he’d ever seen.

Either way, it will be a good fight now that its on. I hope Hatton demolishes him.

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
Manny has produced 5 years of BRILLIANT Boxing matches, he has spent hundreds of hours training, dieting. The kid is rich, he’s a fucking superstar in the Philippines, and so he doesn’t need Hatton, doesn’t need Boxing, doesn’t need the fans or their money.

And he DEFINITELY doesn’t care about some guy on the net, who’s worth 1% of his wealth, calling him a “douche”.[/quote]

Oh really? damn, because you know that was my intent. I really figured he’d be reading this now and the tears would be welling up.

Good thing you killed that one for me.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I disagree. Hatton is the champ at 140, and brings way more money to the table than Manny does.

Not for nothing, but the Philippines doesn’t buy fights like the UK, and sure as fuck doesn’t gamble on it like the British fans do. And they sure as hell don’t fly 3,000 miles to go see their boy fight.

Someone is whispering in Pac’s ear, or was. And he DID need Hatton, otherwise he wouldn’t have signed on. He thought he could take advantage in order to fuck Ricky, and I bet he was surprised when Ricky walked away… because that meant that Pac wasn’t going to get the the biggest purse he’d ever seen.

Either way, it will be a good fight now that its on. I hope Hatton demolishes him. [/quote]

I thought Pac made his biggest purse off DLH? Regardless, this is going to be the fight of the year.
With Hatton you pretty much know what you are going to get; great footwork to get inside and his ability to work the body.
With Pac, I believe he brings the unknown. Every fight he’s broght something new. He used to have bad balance and just a basic jab-left combination. Now Roach has cleaned up his footwork and he now has a very good jab and hook, to go with his straight left leads.
I believe it will come down to Pac’s speed and movement vs Hatton’s ability to cut off the ring.

According to the Telegraph the fight was finally confirmed for real yesterday, although there is no more detail than in that link Anthony50 posted- 2nd May, MGM Grand. press conference this Thursday to announce officially. Apparently a 50-50 split has been agreed on.

The same article says the David Haye vs Wladimir Klitschko fight has nearly been finalised,20 June at Stamford Bridge. I hope Haye wins, he’s an English lad after all, but I would rather see Wladimir fight Valuev.

Jaybee wrote:
Manny has produced 5 years of BRILLIANT Boxing matches, he has spent hundreds of hours training, dieting. The kid is rich, he’s a fucking superstar in the Philippines, and so he doesn’t need Hatton, doesn’t need Boxing, doesn’t need the fans or their money.

And he DEFINITELY doesn’t care about some guy on the net, who’s worth 1% of his wealth, calling him a “douche”.

Oh really? damn, because you know that was my intent. I really figured he’d be reading this now and the tears would be welling up.
[/quote]

Yes, really.

Well we’re only about 24hrs out and according to the books, Pacquiao is a solid favorite (-200).

Now I can appreciate Hatton’s skill no doubt, but the dude is just too white.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Now I can appreciate Hatton’s skill no doubt, but the dude is just too white. [/quote]

How about you go work on those lifts of yours instead of spouting platitudes?

ON TOPIC: I will be putting some money on Hatton. I think this is basically a 50/50 fight and the odds favour a bet on him.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Well we’re only about 24hrs out and according to the books, Pacquiao is a solid favorite (-200).

Now I can appreciate Hatton’s skill no doubt, but the dude is just too white. [/quote]

Who the fuck are you to say that?

If I said “Mayweather was just too black” I’d get crucified douchebag.

I dunno, I like Hatton, but I think Manny’s going to run a train on that ass. I guess we’ll see though.

You can’t compare racism like that. If I called you a cornbread honkey mother fucker it would be nothing like calling a black person n!!!.

[quote]drewh wrote:
You can’t compare racism like that. If I called you a cornbread honkey mother fucker it would be nothing like calling a black person n!!!.[/quote]

You’d still get fucking hit, so it doesn’t matter to me.

drewh wrote:
You can’t compare racism like that. If I called you a cornbread honkey mother fucker it would be nothing like calling a black person n!!!.

You’d still get fucking hit, so it doesn’t matter to me.[/quote]

I disagree that it’s not the same. I am a white European, yet my ancestors did not oppress black people, so I think it’s BS whenever someone thinks they can pull that card out on me. Also, my ancestors have been fighting for thousands of years, right down to my two grandads (WW1 and WW2)and my dad (civil war) and I have a few amateur and one pro boxer in my family.

Implying that whites can’t fight is like saying blacks can’t do math or something equally retarded.