T Nation

Mangosteen

So a couple of my buddies have gotten involved with this company that sells supplements that utilize this fruit that I’ve never heard of before. Has anyone else tried this stuff or supplements based on it? Is it as fantastic as they say it is?

(I don’t want to link to the company but I’m sure you can find it)

[quote]briansays wrote:

So a couple of my buddies have gotten involved with this company that sells supplements that utilize this fruit that I’ve never heard of before. Has anyone else tried this stuff or supplements based on it? Is it as fantastic as they say it is?

[/quote]

I’ve never seen any supplements utilize it, but man that stuff tastes incredible!

They are quite delicious. Don’t know about any magical properties though. However, my wife’s grandma is 97 and going strong and they eat a crapload of them where she is from so who knows.

[quote]briansays wrote:

[/quote]

Not to sound unduly cynical, but it is almost never as fantastic as they say it is. Especially when “it” is the next magic bullet cure-all from this or that exotic, little known plant from some far flung corner of the globe i.e. mangsteen, acai, noni, goji etc and “they” are people who are marketing said magic bullet. This doesn’t mean I don’t think it might have benefits, but it is unlikely to cure cancer, diabetes, the common cold and make you feel like you’re 18 years old well into your 90’s.

What is your interest? Are you considering getting involved in the business or is your interest just in trying the product? If you are looking into the business, I suggest you do some due diligence both in terms of the claims being made about the product and the structure and reputation of the company. You put your own personal credibility on the line when you do the whole direct marketing thing and I would want to be pretty sure of who and what I was putting it on the line for.

A cursory search tells me that the main active constituents of the juice seem to be antioxidant and/or anti-tumour. The benefits of the antioxidants (catechins and polyphenols) are fairly well documented in substances like green tea and grape seed. Nothing magical, but beneficial. The anti-tumour properties of the xanthones as far as I can tell are far less documented and much more vague and hypothetical. So, in short, I don’t know how good it really is and I don’t know if anyone else does either.

You might get more response if you throw this up over in Supplements and Nutrition.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]briansays wrote:

[/quote]

Not to sound unduly cynical, but it is almost never as fantastic as they say it is. Especially when “it” is the next magic bullet cure-all from this or that exotic, little known plant from some far flung corner of the globe i.e. mangsteen, acai, noni, goji etc and “they” are people who are marketing said magic bullet. This doesn’t mean I don’t think it might have benefits, but it is unlikely to cure cancer, diabetes, the common cold and make you feel like you’re 18 years old well into your 90’s.

What is your interest? Are you considering getting involved in the business or is your interest just in trying the product? If you are looking into the business, I suggest you do some due diligence both in terms of the claims being made about the product and the structure and reputation of the company. You put your own personal credibility on the line when you do the whole direct marketing thing and I would want to be pretty sure of who and what I was putting it on the line for.

A cursory search tells me that the main active constituents of the juice seem to be antioxidant and/or anti-tumour. The benefits of the antioxidants (catechins and polyphenols) are fairly well documented in substances like green tea and grape seed. Nothing magical, but beneficial. The anti-tumour properties of the xanthones as far as I can tell are far less documented and much more vague and hypothetical. So, in short, I don’t know how good it really is and I don’t know if anyone else does either.

You might get more response if you throw this up over in Supplements and Nutrition.[/quote]

I was/am still pretty cynical about it all, the supplement and the business deal sounds too good to be true honestly (my friends seem to be doing pretty well even after just starting, but I’ve seen this before.) I was thinking about getting involved but I don’t have the cash right now to do so, but 6 months ago I’d have been all over it. Might show this to supps & nutrition and see what they say.