Manchester Terror Attack

Both Syria and Yemen aria in large part shia vs. sunni, or to be precise kind-of-shia (both the Alawites and the Houthis are shia heretics/sects) vs. sunni.

Interesingly, for some reason Kurds are not considered sunni and in their identity the ethnic takes precedence over religious.

You are correct in the top-down hierarchy, both in terms of religious structure and terrorism, but there are some crucial differences. It’s a slippery slope comparing terrorism to terrorism but I’ll try nevertheless.

Shia Islam doesn’t have the proselytizing element - they’re not seeking converts. Which means they’re not trying to convince a petty criminal of Arab descent from the suburbs of Brussels to blow himself up. Likewise, all terrorist acts were organized and carried out by the Iranian regime, which makes them more similar to the former USSR than to Sunni radicals.

Also Shia Islam is amenable for change, which means that they don’t have to be stuck in literal interpretation of a 7th century religious text. This can be both good or bad.

I have to disagree with this.

Perhaps your experiences were shaped by Sadr City, but I’ve worked in construction in most of the ME countries and the rank-and-file Iranians are by far the most pro-American of all ME nations, perhaps excluding Lebanon.

The Saudis, Qataris and Kuwaitis on the other hand… much, much worse.

In Iran, the religiousness is imposed from above by the regime while the regular people are opposed to this. Also, they pretty low on the religious devotion scale, . Another parallel with the USSR - everybody repeats the official dogma but very few believe in it, including the people in power.

Again, have to disagree. Most of the people running Iran are more interested in staying in power, running their family side businesses and oppressing the people because they know that a noose like Saddam or a metal rod up their ass (Qaddafi) awaits them from the Iranians should they loosen their grip on power.

Not one of them is interested in apocalyptic self conflagration. Neither is Assad Jr. for that matter.

They’re a bunch of ruthless cynical bastards but they’re not insane. The only person who kind of believed in part of the official dogma was Ahmadinejad (his popularity in the countryside was primarily due to the fact that he wasn’t corrupt) so they ruling elite immediately barred him from this Presidential Election. They don’t want someone who might be crazy in charge.

Well, that’s the point. A lot of people are fluffy and liberal when they can afford to be, especially when they are young. But when shit gets real, life gets real, they get conservative. Shit just got real, real for Ariana Grande. It’s natural for her to want to get mad and get these fuckers back.
I remember, after 9/11, a lot of celebs backing Bush all of the sudden… I would not say this is about logic, it’s about emotion.
I could be wrong, who knows… It’s just a thought. Something like this is bound to change something inside her. After all, she’s the reason all those people were gathered there. Not her fault at all mind you, but it’s something that’s natural for her to think about.

1 Like

I agree. People have a right to feel Islamophobic, if they so choose, in light of all that’s happened. How many times do you have to get attacked, before the mere words simply won’t work anymore. The only people who can change Islam’s PR problem is muslims and not by blaming everybody else. They can root out the evil if they wanted to. Too few do too little.

Tom Holland has done a service with that one. One that has put his security in jeopardy as well.

Correct. We need to start treating Salafism like the radical political movement it actually is. Friend of mine lives next to a Wahhabi Salafi mosque in London. The fact that such a thing exists is an affront to common decency.

2 Likes

It’s come out that the bomber was the son of a Libyan refugee.

I gotta agree with you here. The ideal would not to deal with any of them in any way, no business, no military nothing. But it’s not pragmatic. Essentially, while no prize, as thefourthruffian said, the lesser of two evils or many evils.

Let me act shocked as hell…

You’ve got to be real troglodyte to kill yourself at 22 years old and take a 6 year old girl with you too.

1 Like

You miss the point though. Not everyone is so blind to partisan politics that they’ll just support whatever buffoon from their party is in power. It’s one thing to say she’ll become a conservative. It’s something else entirely to think she’ll become a Trump supporter. They are not one in the same

Good point there Greggy. She better lose her liberal daisy chain making self after reality hit her like a ton of bricks last night.

I prefer simpler lexicons like ‘asshole’ or ‘pig’, but your sentiment is duly noted…

1 Like

It’s pithy analysis on my part, at best. I don’t know her, I don’t know her state of mind. I just know tragedy and what it tends to do to people. She’ll go through the stages, one of them will be ‘mad as hell’, but who knows when that comes. And I have no real way of knowing what she will do.

I do tend to think she will forever think about terrorism and terrorists, now personally, having experienced it, very differently than she has in the past. And I do believe it will be a more negative and serious approach then maybe her less experience colleagues.

1 Like

I am just figuring she wants to “…bomb the shit out of ISIS” now, too.

1 Like

This is disgusting:
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/866988283615641600?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmilo.yiannopoulos.net%2F2017%2F05%2Fbbc-europe-manchester%2F
Cannot believe people would say things like this.

4 Likes

I am surprised you’re surprised.

1 Like

Yes. If you’re Salafi/Wahabbi in a Western country you’re by definition trying to overthrow the government and the political system and should be treated accordingly.

When in the West one says “religious” it means about observance of specific rituals from the spiritual sphere, not a radical political movement - hence the unintended tolerance to these creeps.

Salafi Islam is the latter, it’s a full-fledged political system masquerading itself as a “religious” movement.

3 Likes

“Born in Manchester in 1994, the second youngest of four children his parents were Libyan refugees who came to the UK to escape the Gaddafi regime. His parents were both born in Libya but appear to have emigrated to London before moving to the Fallowfield area of south Manchester where they have lived for at least ten years.”

quoted from the telegraph

You’d think people’d be more grateful when they’re literally accepted into your country as a means of an escape from whatever dumb ass shit they have going on in that god forsaken place.

The only solution I can think of is along the lines of… Proceed with extreme prejudice. If there is even a hint of extremism to be found, take them the fuck out. Don’t ‘monitor’ them cause we all know how’s that going, take them the fuck out. Someone watches too much ISIS material and books a flight for him/his family to somewhere near ISIS controlled territory? Who in the right mind would think that’s normal.

Man,I don’t know if I sound naive, pretty sure I do.

That and this is somewhat awkward for me to say considering the fact that 15% of my country’s population are Muslim. That being said though, none of them be trying to blow shit up so that’s fine. Hell, most of them don’t ever bring up religion. They just mind their own shit, go pray when they’re supposed to and go on with their lives like normal people.

PS: I try not to post in PWI but this was just too hard to resist.

1 Like

You bigot.

Do we indeed? Then why is Eastern Europe basically terrorism free while France has a higher terrorism rate than Turkey?

TRULY A FUCKING MYSTERY. THE WORLD’S SCHOLARS ARE BAFFLED.

3 Likes