T Nation

Management Resources

Anyone have an interest in management? Anyone know of good resources for personal study? (besides doing an MBA)

get a list of classes for a management degree from a good university.

find out which books you need for those classes and buy them. read them all.

they will be expensive, but if you really want to learn something, do it that way.

or, get a job and learn it on the fly.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
or, get a job and learn it on the fly. [/quote]

That’s how I learned it, bosses promoted me patted me on the head and then threw me to the wolves

I’m interested in this, too. I recently quit my server job and started as a manager at Abercrombie and Fitch (laugh all you want, it’s a decent step up for a guy with a Bachelor’s of Music) and want to get good at it.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
I’m interested in this, too. I recently quit my server job and started as a manager at Abercrombie and Fitch (laugh all you want, it’s a decent step up for a guy with a Bachelor’s of Music) and want to get good at it.[/quote]

Hey, no laughing going on here. It’s a step in the right direction for you. It’s better than sitting at home all day and not working at all.

I used to be in management OE, and managed a large group of high school and college kids (which you will be doing). If I can give you one tip on how to handle these groups of employees: don’t let your guard down. They will want to ask off weekends and certain days all the time, and on short notice.

Now I’m not saying to be a jerk to them, you can be their buddy, but you have to separate the line from buddy and boss. You can buddy with them all day, but when you need something done, you tell them in a proper manner, and this lets them know you’re the boss.

Only until they start proving themselves to you over a period of time they are exceeding at their job, then you can give them flexibility with their schedule, because they have done good work for you.

If you still want to read a book, I suggest The One Minute Manager by Dr. Kenneth Blanchard.