Man Returns $45,000 Found in New House

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Legally I do believe it becomes the property of the new owner. (I am not a lawyer though, so don’t take legal advice from me.)

But morally, that money was meant for something and somebody else, so I would give it back. I just imagine that guy spending his life saving up that money for his family, only to have it accidentally lost. I wouldn’t feel right taking something somebody spent a life building.[/quote]

You answer makes me again think that natural law is written on Man’s heart. (That’s a good thing.)

Legally, it’s “personalty.”

Typically, one buys “realty and improvements” when you buy a house – that is, the dirt and everything physically attached to dirt, directly or indirectly — the house, wires, plumbing, fixtures, etc.

Personalty, is everything else. Like boxes in the attic.

If this was hidden inside walls (as opposed to just sitting in the attic), it might become “realty.”

Regardless of the civil law, “theft” is in the top 10 list of things not to do, and this reeks of theft.

this would be a fight in my mind i cant give you an answer since it hasnt happened to me but ill gladly tell ya about it if it does.

also i think the guy he gave it too should most definitely compensate him

This thread is full of liars.

I’d also like to know how someone sells the house of their dead father without going through all of its contents beforehand?
This makes me wonder if the kid was estranged and maybe didn’t deserve dad’s money.
$45,000 falls in my lap like that, I’m leaving it in the attic for a few months and if nobody says anything about the shit…it’s mine.
That shit is a YP not an MP.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
No will?

The son was never told about the money, even when his son had become an adult?

I’m on the fence about this, to be honest.[/quote]

Old people do this, it’s quite common. Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have wanted his children to have it. As a matter of opinion, I think it’s an indicator he wanted his kids to have it because old people start getting paranoid and think the bank is going to take it or the Gov is going to tax the shit out of it. I would give it back.

Now, if a bag falls out of a Brinks truck, I’m keeping it if I think I can get away scot free.

I’d return it, but with modest hopes that they would kick me back a few grand in appreciation. And if they didn’t do that, I would burn their fucking house down in the middle of the night.

It’s definately not stealing to keep it, and if the son couldn’t be bothered to thoroughly search the house before he sold it, I wouldn’t feel bad about keeping it.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
It’s definately not stealing to keep it, and if the son couldn’t be bothered to thoroughly search the house before he sold it, I wouldn’t feel bad about keeping it. [/quote]

Holy crap, you haven’t been around for a while.

Tough to say without it happening to me.

That said, I’d like to think I would give it back. But, the grief of keeping it, would be easily relieved by the reduced stress of paying back our $90k in student loans

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
It’s definately not stealing to keep it, and if the son couldn’t be bothered to thoroughly search the house before he sold it, I wouldn’t feel bad about keeping it. [/quote]

I agree.

The son KNEW him to hide money in odd places. So, why wouldn’t he go over the house with a fine tooth comb before selling it?

[quote]Simon Adebisi wrote:
This thread is full of liars.

I’d also like to know how someone sells the house of their dead father without going through all of its contents beforehand?
This makes me wonder if the kid was estranged and maybe didn’t deserve dad’s money.
$45,000 falls in my lap like that, I’m leaving it in the attic for a few months and if nobody says anything about the shit…it’s mine.
That shit is a YP not an MP.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

I’d keep it.

My first instinct would be to give the money back. But it wouldn’t take a lot of convincing to keep it, and let the guilt slowly fade… Maybe spend the first $1,000 - see how you feel about that, and then continue sliding down that slippery slope.

Alternatively, it might feel pretty damn good to give $45,000 to another human being in an arguably random act of kindness.

Either option is ultimately self-serving though.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
No will?

The son was never told about the money, even when his son had become an adult?

I’m on the fence about this, to be honest.[/quote]

Old people do this, it’s quite common. Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have wanted his children to have it. As a matter of opinion, I think it’s an indicator he wanted his kids to have it because old people start getting paranoid and think the bank is going to take it or the Gov is going to tax the shit out of it. I would give it back.

Now, if a bag falls out of a Brinks truck, I’m keeping it if I think I can get away scot free. [/quote]

What about using the money to buy a Brinks truck of your own and then hittin’ the road conning mini marts out of their money?[/quote]

Spoken like a true entrepreneur.

There is no way I am giving the money back, a few reasons:
-Legally, it is mine
-The old man should have put the money in the bank and mentioned it in his will…not doing so is pretty retarded, and who knows if he passed those retard genes to his son, who would just squander the money
-We are only assuming that he was saving it for his son, since he left no validation of this, I think it should be ignored
-Son should have gone through the house while clearing it out
-The house needed repairs and $45k would have helped that

I don’t really fault anyone for giving it back though I don’t guess…

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
There is no way I am giving the money back, a few reasons:
-Legally, it is mine
-The old man should have put the money in the bank and mentioned it in his will…not doing so is pretty retarded, and who knows if he passed those retard genes to his son, who would just squander the money
-We are only assuming that he was saving it for his son, since he left no validation of this, I think it should be ignored
-Son should have gone through the house while clearing it out
-The house needed repairs and $45k would have helped that

I don’t really fault anyone for giving it back though I don’t guess…[/quote]

lol…and next time you leave your wallett in the back of a cab, I’m going to take your cash and use your credit cards because

-You should have been more careful, obviously you’re so retarded for losing your wallett that you don’t even deserve the money inside of it
-We are only assuming you lost it, perhaps you wanted me to have it?
-You should have checked your pockets before you got out of the cab
-I need a new laptop

rationalize it however you want, it’s wrong.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705372941/Big-cash-discovery-leads-to-a-lesson-in-honesty-for-new-Bountiful-homeowners.html

What would you have done? [/quote]

Renegotiate the price of the home downward about $45000 - amount of reduction.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
If I bought a house believing that the AC and heater work and had been maintained and they weren’t…is that my problem or the previous owners? Most places the previous owner as he sold it and I bought with the expectation that the AC and heater were working.

Did I buy this house with the expectation of 45k in the attic? No then I don’t see it as mine.[/quote]

Jesus H. Christ, the Catholic cult member among us had to engage in the above gymnastics just to arrive at the obvious moral answer. SMFH and LOL

i think keeping it would be taking advantage of someone’s weakness for no good reason other than selfish personal gain. i couldn’t justify that to myself. 45k is a lot of money. i wouldnt want someone to do it to me. id rather live in a world where people wouldnt steal my money like that. its not like im some heroin junkie who needs a hit, or some starving african. i have all the basic thinks i need to survive, and im grateful enough for that. taking someones 45k just so i can buy a nice car or WHATEVER just doenst sit well at all.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Obviously I don’t think the owner would need the money that bad if they just had bought a house.[/quote]

lol you think first time homebuyers just have piles of money sitting around AFTER they purchase the house? Interesting theory…please elaborate…