Man Eating Couch

I have managed for the last year to stay uninjured. Warm up way more than when I was younger, do stretching now that I’ve never done before…I try to be careful.

So damn hot here this week, decided to stay inside Sunday and watch the race. Propped myself up on the couch, and settled in. Was a little stiff when I hit the rack Sun. night. Damn, could hardly get out of bed in the morning, had to have the wife tie my shoes. Canceled the gym tonight and sitting here cozied up to a bag of ice. Daught er said I was like the guy in the movie Crank, if you sit down, you will die.

Sorry, sounds like I’m whining, getting old is way overrated.

Anybody need a couch, cheap?

I’ve had days like that.

Ouch, that hurts! Good luck and get better.

I thought this thread was going to contain a funny video of a fat guy getting stuck in the sofa after it collapses under his weight.

You can imagine my dissapointment.

I thought this thread was going to contain a funny video of a fat guy actually eating a sofa.

LOL…good one greystoke. Sounds just like my Sunday,'cept I got in a bunch of yard work before the thunderstorms hit, then found the couch and watched the race.

OK, now I need some advice. The night before the couch, I pulled a all nighter on the computer playing a damn game. I think between the sitting in a chair and the dreaded man eating couch, my back got totally po’d. Had an Mri done and I have a herniated disc L3 or L4. Spent a week and a half on my living room floor. Back at work and feel pretty good now. Hit the gym last night for the first time, weak…damn it goes so fast.

The advice I nedd is from anyone who lives with a herniated disc…what do you do…what do you not do? I’m going to push it, I just want to be semi-smart about it. I know for fact I have had this for awhile. I probably did this when I was in my 20’s. I never have hurt myself lifting, it’s always outside the gym I aggravate it. Last time was 3 years ago,crawling around under the stairs.

I have been squatting and doing deadlifts, the back felt great,up until this crap. I figure if I quit my muscles get weak, I’ll just have more problems. Just wondering if anyone else deals with this.

Sorry for the long ramble, but this has been the argument I have had with myself for the last 2 weeks…to lift or not to lift…

[quote]greystoke wrote:
OK, now I need some advice. The night before the couch, I pulled a all nighter on the computer playing a damn game.>>>>>>>[/quote]

Must have been a good game, holy shit.

[quote]greystoke wrote:
OK, now I need some advice. The night before the couch, I pulled a all nighter on the computer playing a damn game. I think between the sitting in a chair and the dreaded man eating couch, my back got totally po’d. Had an Mri done and I have a herniated disc L3 or L4. Spent a week and a half on my living room floor. Back at work and feel pretty good now. Hit the gym last night for the first time, weak…damn it goes so fast.

The advice I nedd is from anyone who lives with a herniated disc…what do you do…what do you not do? I’m going to push it, I just want to be semi-smart about it. I know for fact I have had this for awhile. I probably did this when I was in my 20’s. I never have hurt myself lifting, it’s always outside the gym I aggravate it. Last time was 3 years ago,crawling around under the stairs.

I have been squatting and doing deadlifts, the back felt great,up until this crap. I figure if I quit my muscles get weak, I’ll just have more problems. Just wondering if anyone else deals with this.

Sorry for the long ramble, but this has been the argument I have had with myself for the last 2 weeks…to lift or not to lift…[/quote]

1. get your abs strong. All of them: sides, upper, and lower.

2. move around outside of lifting weights, but gently. I’ve started taking walks with my wife.

3. If you have access to a reverse hyper machine, do high rep, light weights. or just the weight of your legs. That hydrates the disks gets circulation going and helps remove any stuff that might have come out of the disk.

4. do whatever upper body stuff you can, keep the growth hormone going through the bloodstream - it helps speed healing.

5. take lots of fish oil to keep inflammation down.

6. reduce carb intake to keep inflammation down. I have a good plate of pasta and my back starts to hurt…

7. get off painkillers as soon as possible so you can tell what hurts and how much and not do those things that make it hurt.

8. If it doesn’t get better on it’s own, get multiple opinions and an MRI as soon as possible and decide what you want to do from there. I chose not to get an operation that I was strongly encouraged to undergo, but which would have debilitated me 15 years down the road. 85% of these things get better on their own, anyway.

That’s all I got. Hope it’s helpful.

thanks skidmark,

I’m moving around already. Back to work, I’m a auto tech, so I’m on my feet all day.

No drugs since the weekend,thing that bothers me the most is sitting.

Had the MRI done, won’t do surgery unless I have no choice. My dad has had 3 back surgeries. He messed his up in his 20’s (he’s 80 now) his whole adult life has been ruled by the pain in his back and legs, and the mass amount of drugs he has had to take.

A year ago if you said the word core,my first thought would of been, the part of an apple you don’t eat. Now, after spending so much time on T-Nation, you get it drummed in your head to focus on core exercises. And with the back issues, core work is a bigger deal, so I’m on it. Never was one for much direct ab work, times are a changing.

Christ your old I bet you fart dust =)

Yes - the ability to fart dust helps one to spell more accurately. Less pressure on the brain, you see.