T Nation

Man Boobs= High Estrogen?

is this correct?

It isn’t that simple. Your body works in ways to decrease one hormone by often converting that hormone to its antagonist or by increasing a seperate hormone that works against it. Very often, gynecomastia seen during puberty is due to an increase in the secretion of testosterone…which aromatizes to estrogen.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
It isn’t that simple. Your body works in ways to decrease one hormone by often converting that hormone to its antagonist or by increasing a seperate hormone that works against it. Very often, gynecomastia seen during puberty is due to an increase in the secretion of testosterone…which aromatizes to estrogen.[/quote]

That and many that worry about there man boobs simply have some fat and an utter lack of muscle development. Getting muscle goes a long way to the chest looking better. Less moobish and more manish.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Professor X wrote:
It isn’t that simple. Your body works in ways to decrease one hormone by often converting that hormone to its antagonist or by increasing a seperate hormone that works against it. Very often, gynecomastia seen during puberty is due to an increase in the secretion of testosterone…which aromatizes to estrogen.

That and many that worry about there man boobs simply have some fat and an utter lack of muscle development. Getting muscle goes a long way to the chest looking better. Less moobish and more manish.[/quote]

Good post. If you are 30% body fat, worry less about man boobs and much more about gaining some muscle and actually getting up and moving on a daily basis. Obesity related gyno is what comprises the majority of cases in men. Some are even lazy enough to request surgery to remove it…but they stay fat everywhere else as if that made them look way better.

I am twenty one years old and have had gynocomastia since I went through puberty. I am roughly over 17% body fat and the gyno is still quite present. I am soon going through doctors to have it removed, that is if all else fails.

Im about to take some Biotest anti-estrogen supplements for at least two months to gauge if it is really a hormonal imbalance, in which case I should see an “anti-aging” doctor who can treat it, or it’s there and not going anywhere, which surgery would be in place.

Its a poor experiment, and a faultily based one at that, but I hate seeing it when I look in the mirror and I want to know why it happened to begin with.

It’s not really all that horrible either, but it is present and notably identifiable, which leads me to believe the former.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
It isn’t that simple. Your body works in ways to decrease one hormone by often converting that hormone to its antagonist or by increasing a seperate hormone that works against it. Very often, gynecomastia seen during puberty is due to an increase in the secretion of testosterone…which aromatizes to estrogen.[/quote]

Ya, I have had it since I was about 13 and I’m fairly lean. Got to go see a doctor some day…

Other hormones also play a part in gyno(IGF-1,GH, and progesterone to be exact)

I’m no expert on AAS, but I’ve seen several cases (and heard rumors of several more) of gynecomastia in my patient population during the past year after taking Superdrol.

For those who haven’t heard of it, it’s sold as s supplement, but is really a desinger AAS. FDA is cracking down on it, but it’s still available online. These guys are either ignorant or naive, so they didn’t get the estrogen suppression or other chemicals needed to prevent this.

I’m not anti-steroids, but it bothers me that this product was marketed in a way that led to some young guys with this problem due to ignorance.

If you really want a more in-depth explanation on gynecomastia, here is a good page to read.

http://www.emedicine.com/plastic/topic125.htm

[quote]keaster wrote:
Other hormones also play a part in gyno(IGF-1,GH, and progesterone to be exact)[/quote]

I remember my mother telling me how she was on Progesterone when she was (un-knowingly) pregnant with me. I truly believe this may have something to do with my own case of the problem.

OK guys…what about possible solutions other than surgery.

I have had this same problem since 13 but do not want to have the keloidal scars…

Letrozole?

I really find it hard to believe a pill will solve a problem that took years in the making to achieve.

Im not saying it wont work, but I am insisting I wouldnt count on it.

Surgery in general sucks, its costly and inconvenient. I really believe its unavoidable, but Im not a doctor, so Ill let yours tell you that.

[quote]sawadeekrob wrote:

I have had this same problem since 13 but do not want to have the keloidal scars…

Letrozole?[/quote]

First see a doc. I went the letro route and it didnt work. The longer it has been present the more likely surgery will be required. I am now going to try the nolvadex route before going for surgery.

Hi,

When I went through puberty I developed a small lump (like a pea) under one nipple. It sort of got softer and a little bigger and has been there ever since - it’s not big, but if I’m wearing a t-shirt and stand up nice and straight I can definitely see it.

My girlfriend says it’s not very noticeable - but I wish it wasn’t there.
Anyone had a similar experience? I’ve heard it’s common during puberty and the doctor said it’s nothing to worry about - but I hate the way it looks and I wish it wasn’t there!

Thanks

[quote]sawadeekrob wrote:

Letrozole?[/quote]

Do you have a history of keloids?

Intraoperative with post-operative injections of corticosteroids will minimize or prevent the keloids.

Have you discussed it with a plastic surgeon? I would.

[quote]pwilliams wrote:
sawadeekrob wrote:

Letrozole?

Do you have a history of keloids?

Intraoperative with post-operative injections of corticosteroids will minimize or prevent the keloids.

Have you discussed it with a plastic surgeon? I would.

[/quote]

That is actually one of the first questions a surgeon will ask, if they have ever had keloids before. If you aren’t prone to them or already have them from other injuries, worrying about them forming for no reason is a waste of bodily resources. The incision is often made right at the base of the aereola following its curvature. That means the “scar” will barely be noticeable in most people after scar tissue heals (which can take upwards of one year in some people and months in others).

so i should just stick with trying to lose weight first, then if they don’t go away after the fat is gone, check for gyno.

would taking REZ-V help with fat loss from this area? i would be stacking it with HRX + TRIBEX Gold.

I’m 24, around 5’8" and 190Lbs.

[quote]gotoheel wrote:
so i should just stick with trying to lose weight first, then if they don’t go away after the fat is gone, check for gyno.

would taking REZ-V help with fat loss from this area? i would be stacking it with HRX + TRIBEX Gold.

I’m 24, around 5’8" and 190Lbs.[/quote]

See a doctor if your worried about it.

In my case I’ve already seen a doc and they’ve already said surgery is the only option. It’s just a matter of scrounging up the thousands of dollars I’ll need to pay for it and finding a surgeon that knows what they’re doing.

EDIT: Also, I’m 5’11 160 pounds so weight loss is out of the question.

For what its worth, I think I have had gyno since I was about 12. Not sure if it is gyno or not, but I always had a good amount of fat in my chest area.

Dieting and training took it away, but laying off and being a lazy slob drinking tons of alcohol made it come back with a vengeance.

I am dieting and training again and it is getting better. The fat around my chest continues to diminish and muscle continues to shape my chest.

You can check my profile for pics to see what I am talking about(if you can stomach them). I have seen some guys that have muscular chests and yet still have gyno, but building a good muscle base on your chest and cutting body fat seems like a valid option.