Maltodextrose

Yes, I stole my name from art vandalay, the renowned architect. Glad to see you enjoy your homebrew. The point I’m hammering home is whey protein+carbs after training is sufficient. The carbs can be from powders(gatorade,malto,dex) or most any other source. High GI carbs work well, so chow down on a few bowls of kiddie cereal if you want. Have a banana. Drink a shake w/ skim milk, protein, and bananas. Throw in sugar-free, fat-free jello packets for thickening if you want. Its malto, so it’ll work just fine. Its not that complicated, and too many people obsess over the small details(i.e. must use whey hydrosylate cross-filtered extra-special pre-digested particles w/ a BV of 22244 for lightning-fast protein synthesis)

Actually most don’t use any hydrolysates. The stuff tastes horrible and is relatively expensive. I’d recommend and isolate in a pinch which is a little easier to get. I’d say thought that the protein is the lesser half of the equation.

If given the option to just drink malto or just hydrolyzed whey… It’d be malto. But I’m just trying to get across that quick-acting wheys are preferable to slower acting one. Micellar casein being a prime example of a very slow acting protein.

A pre-workout meal is important, but I wouldn’t consume anything that causes big spikes in insulin lest you run low come workout time (1.5 hours is enough for the low to really hit you). I will agree that something is better than nothing, but if you’re spending a bunch of cash on supplies for PWO etc. It could be worthwhile to invest the money and take the extra step.

Most people don’t want to train w/ food fresh down the hatchet. An hour and a half before the workout w/ oats and Low-Carb Grow! won’t cause any insulin crash. If one is overly concerned, have a TBSP of natural PB for some healthy fats and slower absorption.

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
Most people don’t want to train w/ food fresh down the hatchet. An hour and a half before the workout w/ oats and Low-Carb Grow! won’t cause any insulin crash. If one is overly concerned, have a TBSP of natural PB for some healthy fats and slower absorption.[/quote]

Vandalay,

I’m sitting here watching Seinfeld now…the bubble boy episode. Vandalay no doubt was a great-great architect…but wasn’t he also in Latex?

Getting to your point. I had oatmeal and Grow! prior to my a.m. workout. I waited 1.5-2 hours and then went to workout. It was my dead lift/heavy row day. I felt great from start to finish.