Maltodextrose

I’ve come upon a few packages of maltodextrose…

anyone mind telling me what this is good for?

It’s really fucking sweet, and I know it’s basically sugar (xtrose was a big clue).

I’ve just mixed it with my orange juice, creatine, vitamin c, and a liquid mineral (magnesium, etc) substance I have and use that as my during/post workout drink. (followed up with protien immediately after)

So what the hell do I use this for?

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
I’ve come upon a few packages of maltodextrose…

anyone mind telling me what this is good for?

It’s really fucking sweet, and I know it’s basically sugar (xtrose was a big clue).

I’ve just mixed it with my orange juice, creatine, vitamin c, and a liquid mineral (magnesium, etc) substance I have and use that as my during/post workout drink. (followed up with protien immediately after)

So what the hell do I use this for?[/quote]

Didn’t you answer your question in there? PWO drink…

It would work well with your PWO drink.

Add your Whey, creatine, glutamine and Maltodex…boom nice PWO drink.

I think is a disaccharide that has just a tad higher GI than pure glucose. By the way, the old powdered Gatorade was pure crystalline glucose (and you can still find it). Combined with whey and a little BCAA’s its nutritionally almost identical to Surge.

I’m not sure what’s in liquid Gatoraide (I think it has high fructose corn syrup) but I do know its a little different.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
I think is a disaccharide that has just a tad higher GI than pure glucose. By the way, the old powdered Gatorade was pure crystalline glucose (and you can still find it). Combined with whey and a little BCAA’s its nutritionally almost identical to Surge.

…OOHHHHHH You said a bad word.

Gatorade contains a lot of sucrose, which is a complex sugar. It takes the body longer to digest it than, say pure dextrose or maltodextrin.

I do not think you got maltodextrose, since maltodextrose does not exist. Either dextrose or maltodextrin. Dextrose is very sweet, and IMO actually tastes better than table sugar. Maltodextrin is not sweet. So if you say it’s sweet, it’s probably dextrose.

[quote]lmjudek wrote:
Gatorade contains a lot of sucrose, which is a complex sugar. It takes the body longer to digest it than, say pure dextrose or maltodextrin.
[/quote]

Not true for POWDERED GATORADE unless they’ve changed it in the last year or so it is pure crystalline glucose.

As far as making your own Surge, Surge is more convenient and tastes a little better, but 50 grams of powdered Gatorade and a scoop or so of whey is about 60 cents a serving and Surge is only about 95-probably worth the time.

By the way, anyone ever consider taking some fructose during or pre-workout to preserve liver Glycogen-then all the post workout carbs go to the muscle instead of the liver first? I heard that fructose will preferentially fill up iver glycogen first.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
By the way, anyone ever consider taking some fructose during or pre-workout to preserve liver Glycogen-then all the post workout carbs go to the muscle instead of the liver first? I heard that fructose will preferentially fill up iver glycogen first.[/quote]

That’s why fructose shouldn’t be used post workout; glucose/maltodextrin won’t refill liver glycogen first.

In endurance sports, maltodextrin is the stuff of choice for sustained blood glycogen during long and intense work. Usually, you can find some at growers mart or farmers co-op for cheap. I get mine at the do it yourself beer store! I drink it all day long during sprint race tournaments and I don’t get any suger crash!

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
lmjudek wrote:

Not true for POWDERED GATORADE unless they’ve changed it in the last year or so it is pure crystalline glucose.

As far as making your own Surge, Surge is more convenient and tastes a little better, but 50 grams of powdered Gatorade and a scoop or so of whey is about 60 cents a serving and Surge is only about 95-probably worth the time.
[/quote]

I am looking at powdered gatorade right now. The first ingredient is sucrose, and the second one is dextrose. But then again, I do live in Canada. Maybe glucose just wouldn’t survive in the cold:)

I have some Gatorade in powder form and it lists Sucrose and then Dextrose as the first two ingredients.

I have some liquid Gatorade and it lists water, Sucrose syrup, Glucose-fructose syrup as the first three ingredients.

I did a search and found that the sugar profile can vary batch to batch and HAS been changed from time to time. My memory was that the little orange tubs said Dextrose, but I think that since people didn’t like the taste as well, they added more sucrose. I’ll see if I have one of the old tubs at my parents house.

Also, glucose will fill up the liver, just not preferentially. My understanding is fructose has to go to the liver, but that glucose will go equally to liver and muscles.

my post workout drink contains maltodextrin, and dextrose that i bought online and whey protein powder. I’m pretty sure its cheaper then Surge, but its annoying to have 2 water bottles after a workout, and doubly annoying to have 3 times as many 5 gallon jugs lying around.

Does anyone sell plain old whey? Is whey that you buy at grain stores the same thing that you get in your protein tubs?

Plain ol’ whey isn’t the same stuff that is in Surge and won’t work near as well.

garret, whey+carbs will work fine. Surge may be optimal, but it really doesn’t make a huge damn difference in the overall scheme of things. If its cheaper and practical, just use some whey and carbs(gatorade,malto,dex,even skim milk, banana). What’s very important is the pre-workout meal. Slow/fast proteins like Grow! is great. Most any good protein source for that matter. Eat w/ oats and a piece of fruit an hour or 1.5hrs before your workout. Seriously, Surge is great and very convenient, but people will get great results using other, cheaper methods.

I’m almost positive theres a conspiracy against me and my handle. I give up. I must’ve spelled my name wrong.

Anyway, whey comes in different vareities: isolate, concentrate, hydrolysate. And all of these are produced to different qualities. Hydrolysates in particular can be in larger or smaller particles which directly affects their ability to be absorbed by the body.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;?id=459474

Here is JB discussing the topic in a little more depth. With a PWO drink you’re not trying to add in slow acting proteins for the long-haul. You’re trying to switch your protein balance quickly into the positive with very fast acting proteins. Isolates could work in a pinch, but hydrolysates are infinitely better. GNC doesn’t even use a cheaper protein in their PWO. You think they’d cut corners if it could be “almost as good”?

True by eating anything with sugars fructose, glucose, dextrose… You will be getting the desired insulin response that provides half the equation, but I’d just as easily skip a long acting protein that will have effects 4-6 hours later than ingest it and have it hamper the absorbtion of nutrients I need then and there.

I’m really baffled on how you can equate the absorbtion of Grow which contains no hydrolysates and milk-protein isolates to a a poorer quality hydrolysate. Especially with Micellar casein you start to move to a much longer acting protein. I’m seriously confused. Could you provide some information on the various absrobances of different proteins and their effect on nitrogen balance?

I’ve never seen a PWO offered anywhere without hydrolysates.

OK Garrett, my point is, eat some protein w/ your pre-workout meal. If you were to use Low-Carb Grow! in the meal an hour and a half before training, then use a whey protein after, you’d be good to go. Most of the less expensive wheys are a blend of concentrate,isolate, or hydrosylate.

Anyways, w/ your nitrogen levels already elevated because of the Low-Carb Grow! you had pre-workout, you will be fine using whey+carbs post-workout. There isn’t a great need to go buy the most expensive, fast-acting whey on the market. It really will not make a world of a difference. Yes, PWO nutrition is important. Take in some whey w/ carbs, and assuming proper nutrition is followed throughout the day, you won’t go wrong.

Oh, just re-read your post. Having skim milk PWO isn’t going to screw you up and hinder absorption. Mix some whey in skim milk and have a few bowls of cereal and a banana if you please. You’ve got plenty of carbs and protein there. Take around 25g of whey in 8oz. of skim milk w/ 25g of faster acting carbs(malto or some gatorade powder). Hell, you could use some kiddie cereal if you please. Then have some oats,piece of fruit, and some more protein maybe an hour later. This is fine PWO.

vandalay…would this be the Vandalay noted in several Senfeld shows??

I agree with both of you. There’s something to be said about quaility of the products used.

I agree with you 100%. I make my homebrew Surge with Whey, Maltodextrose, dextrose, creatine, glutamine, with ice water.

Works for me.