T Nation

Maltodextrin

Is it ok to take an MRP with maltodextrin before sleeping? I’m specifically talking about Twinlab’s FuelPlex. It has maltodextrin as it’s main carbohydrate source (22 g) and although it also has 40+ grams of protein in addition to L-Glutamine and ZMA, I was wondering if the malto would cause unneccessary fat storage.

Not to ignore your actual question, but… ZMA should be taken alone or at least away from calcium. It’s generally a bad idea to put it in a protein product or anything else. Twinlabs was just using the old kitchen sink trick for label appeal. Next, glutamine is worthless unless you’re sick. See recent T-mag articles, one by Mr. Barr. So it looks like that’s a bad MRP to begin with, regardless of when you take it.

Fuelplex probably isn’t the best choice for pre-bedtime protein because it is all whey if I remember correctly. You probably want something that digests slower with a blend of proteins.

Before I started using Surge, I used to use maltodextrin as the main carb source in my post workout drink (it is also in Surge). It will give you quite a big insulin spike, so it’s probably not the best thing to drink before bed.

A few things I have read talk about drinking a good mix of fast absorbing proteins and slow absorbing proteins before bed. Some studies showed that fast absorbing proteins usually give you a positive nitrogen balance for 4 hours, slow absorbing for 7. So if you drink a mix, the fast absorbing protein keeps you going for the first 4 hours or so, and the slow absorbing for the next few hours.