Maltodextrin Powder

So I have to gain 15 pounds over the course of July. Body Composition is not an issue, I just need to put on the pounds. The problem here is that I need use a weight gainer in between my high-calorie meals to supplement. I figure if I make a 3/1 Carb/Protein mix, it aught to be a good boost to the calories I’m taking in.

I’m trying to find the cheapest Maltodextrin I can. I’ve found 2 options so far: Carbo Gain, which goes for about $13 for 7 pounds. The other option is a 50lb bag of Malto for $50-60.

I have a couple of questions though. Is the bulk malto going to be soluble enough to mix easily in water? Is the 3:1 mixture good, or should it be even 4:1 (NOTE: This is not for PWO shake)?

dont worry about the ratio. Just stuff yourself. Mix it w/ milk. pour in olive oil and, drink a lot of it before bed.

Malto mixes well. You’ll be alright.

And dont fuck up your insulin sensitivity. Have those shakes too often and that is a fuck load of insulin spikes to be having each day.

Potential diabetes?

[quote]helga wrote:
And dont fuck up your insulin sensitivity. Have those shakes too often and that is a fuck load of insulin spikes to be having each day.

Potential diabetes?[/quote]

yea def. but its just for july…right???

[quote]helga wrote:

Potential diabetes?[/quote]

Which is worse? Diabetes where you can get a prescription for insulin or being small?

outside of training window, mix in lots of olive oil . It’ll slow down digestion plus give u massive calories. vinegar also drastically minimizes insulin spikes

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
helga wrote:

Potential diabetes?

Which is worse? Diabetes where you can get a prescription for insulin or being small?[/quote]

Good point.

But seriuosly, my comments were probably a bit extreme considering it is only for a month.

Hell, fuck the malto and go for the cheap table sugar, should achieve the same thing.

[quote]allNatural wrote:
vinegar also drastically minimizes insulin spikes[/quote]

Tasty.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Which is worse? Diabetes where you can get a prescription for insulin or being small?[/quote]

are you freaking kidding me? diabetes is a terrible disease. you don’t just fix it with somne insulin injections.

[quote]allNatural wrote:
outside of training window, mix in lots of olive oil . It’ll slow down digestion plus give u massive calories. vinegar also drastically minimizes insulin spikes[/quote]

Wouldn’t olive oil make the shake taste weird?

i use carbo gain…good stuff, lasts a while…

i only use half a serving, and my original intent was to use it preworkout, but since i train late at night it kept me up almost til the morning…so i switched to pre-training and it worked great…

You may want to go to www.NutraBio.com and read up on a product named “CarboMax.” A 20-pound bucket sells for $37.97, which is approximately $1.90 per pound. Been using it for over a year, with no complaints.

depending on how the malto you buy is manufactured, it has a GI of 100. it’s the same as dextrose. if you take it all the time, you’ll just get fat. if i was you, i’d take it in the morning and pre/post workout.

Why not just use dextrose? It is cheaper per gram.

Are we the knights who say knee to you?

[quote]georgeb wrote:
So I have to gain 15 pounds over the course of July. Body Composition is not an issue, I just need to put on the pounds. The problem here is that I need use a weight gainer in between my high-calorie meals to supplement. I figure if I make a 3/1 Carb/Protein mix, it aught to be a good boost to the calories I’m taking in.

I’m trying to find the cheapest Maltodextrin I can. I’ve found 2 options so far: Carbo Gain, which goes for about $13 for 7 pounds. The other option is a 50lb bag of Malto for $50-60.

I have a couple of questions though. Is the bulk malto going to be soluble enough to mix easily in water? Is the 3:1 mixture good, or should it be even 4:1 (NOTE: This is not for PWO shake)? [/quote]

Check out a product called Rice Oligodextrin at Protein Factory. According to their site it is low glycemic and only $3.79/lb. I don’t know much about it, but it may be a better option than maltodextrin. That and some Biotest Whey would make for an affordable weight gain drink.

I’d say your best bet is

Whey
Oats
Honey
Natty Peanut Butter
Whole Milk

enjoy the cals.

[quote]BASTARD GUY wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Which is worse? Diabetes where you can get a prescription for insulin or being small?

are you freaking kidding me? diabetes is a terrible disease. you don’t just fix it with somne insulin injections.

[/quote]

I was joking, my old man’s Type 1, I’m fully aware of what diabetes is :P.

[quote]georgeb wrote:
allNatural wrote:
outside of training window, mix in lots of olive oil . It’ll slow down digestion plus give u massive calories. vinegar also drastically minimizes insulin spikes

Wouldn’t olive oil make the shake taste weird?[/quote]

I use it and it doesnt taste bad. Are we trying to bulk or make our tastebuds happy?