T Nation

Maltodextrin and fiber

What exactly is maltodextrin? I always thought it’s a simple sugar (combination of dextrose and glucose). Yesterday at BJ’s I saw a fiber supplement that provided 3g of soluble fiber and 3g of dietary fiber and the ingredients only list maltodextrin.

Also, does dietary fiber mean insoluble fiber? In some fiber products, if you add up the soluble fiber and the dietary fiber, it’s more than the total carbohydrate. I’m confused.

Different brands use different fiber sources - psyllum, maltodextrin, guar gum. Is one type better then the other or are they all equal? Thanks.

Maltodextrin is a branch chained glucose polymer. Basically this means it is a bunch of glucose molecules strung together that shoot off branches of other glucose strings here and there. Malto is structurally similar to starches, but behaves more like a simple sugar when ingested.
Dietary fiber can be broken down into two sub-categories: insoluble fiber and soluble fiber. Some ingredient labels will only print the total dietary fiber, while others will give you the full breakdown. I am not sure if one fiber is better than another, but it is important to differentiate between soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber will help to improve your blood lipid profile and increase the viscosity of your meal which retards absorption rate in the intestines. Insoluble fiber will mostly serve to keep you “regular”.