Malto/Dextrose

I know that malto & dex are the best form of carb to have PWO however I would just like to know what is the difference in them. Is one better than the other? Just curious to learn the details.

Here is some info about Malto/Dextrose, from “Lean eating II”,
by Dr. J. Berardi:

Maltodextrin is a glucose polymer (a string of glucose units put together, similar to the protein peptide). It is therefore, by definition, a complex carbohydrate. However it’s more complex nature does NOT slow digestion. Therefore, the GI and II remain high. Maltodextrin is the absolute best carbohydrate to consume during exercise for rapidly delivering blood glucose and for muscle glycogen recovery. It’s also best for fluid uptake.

Dextrose (glucose) is a simple carbohydrate unit (similar to the amino acid). While it’s good for exercise situations (malto is better), you’re probably better off adding some dextrose to your maltodextrin formula. A little bit of dextrose may enhance the already excellent fluid uptake that occurs with maltodextrin during exercise.

Based on the three studies I reviewed (Blom et al 1987, ven Den Burgh et al 1996, Piehl et al 2000), it appears that dextrose is 72% faster than fructose for muscle glycogen resynthesis . As a result, at the end of 8 hours, muscle glycogen was 30% higher with dextrose ingestion. However, in another study, at the end of 4 hours, muscle glycogen was 15% higher with maltodextrin ingestion vs. dextrose. So dextrose kicks fructose’s butt although malto beats up on dextrose.

[quote]Monster Wong wrote:
Here is some info about Malto/Dextrose, from “Lean eating II”,
by Dr. J. Berardi:

Maltodextrin is a glucose polymer (a string of glucose units put together, similar to the protein peptide). It is therefore, by definition, a complex carbohydrate. However it’s more complex nature does NOT slow digestion. Therefore, the GI and II remain high. Maltodextrin is the absolute best carbohydrate to consume during exercise for rapidly delivering blood glucose and for muscle glycogen recovery. It’s also best for fluid uptake.

Dextrose (glucose) is a simple carbohydrate unit (similar to the amino acid). While it’s good for exercise situations (malto is better), you’re probably better off adding some dextrose to your maltodextrin formula. A little bit of dextrose may enhance the already excellent fluid uptake that occurs with maltodextrin during exercise.

Based on the three studies I reviewed (Blom et al 1987, ven Den Burgh et al 1996, Piehl et al 2000), it appears that dextrose is 72% faster than fructose for muscle glycogen resynthesis . As a result, at the end of 8 hours, muscle glycogen was 30% higher with dextrose ingestion. However, in another study, at the end of 4 hours, muscle glycogen was 15% higher with maltodextrin ingestion vs. dextrose. So dextrose kicks fructose’s butt although malto beats up on dextrose.
[/quote]

Interesting. I use 50g malto, 50g dex, and 36 g of whey for my PWO shake. I agree that the blend is good. But based on what Dr. Berardi says, it sounds like it might be best to have a higher amount of malto than dex.

I use for PWO, 40 grams whey, 80 grams malto, 10 grams dextro. I?ve tried Vitargo carb and its the best i tried so far, but its too expensive. My tip to you is malto, it`s pretty cheap and absorbes more rapidly than dextro.

Thats what I use when my stock of Surge runs low. I am a big fan of Surge but will do malto/whey isolate/bcaa powder/creatine PWO.

However some of you guys put a bunch of protein in you PWO shake. I am under the impression that it could slow the carb intake a bit so I keep my protein PWO at around 25 grams. I would love to discuss the protein amount PWO. Any takers?

I’ve had to use my own mix once. I noticed a difference in my recovery the next morning. I simply bucked up and threw in more Surge (then needed) in my order. Rotate them to keep the fresh but never look to buy when you are on your last canister. I consistently stick to rotating 4 (1 month backup)

I agree I keep three and when 1 goes the next order is going in. Do you add any whey to Surge or do you wait for PWOII meal to get more protein in? Just curious