T Nation

Male vs. Female Strength Comparison

Hi,
I’m looking for a way to compare male vs. female powerlifters.
I ‘think’ I’m on the right track using this approach:

Male lifters; convert lift / total using the Schwartz formula.

Female lifters; convert lift / total
using the Malone formula.

Directly compare the points obtained to find the best lifter.
(bodyweight is taken into acount with both formulae)

Thanks for any input guys!

Dax

Anybody??

Would you care to share the formulas?

According to the only source I know (Supertraining), male-female strength discrepancies tend to be different for different muscle groups. E.g., females fall most behind men in abdominal and arm strength, if memory serves.

But I’m not sure how Siff’s study obtained those standards–whether they were observations of athletes on the same training regimen, or whether they reflected differences in untrained subjects, or whether training was not monitored at all.

Havent got the formula re se, but here’s a link
http://www.virginia.edu/ims/imsports/rules/Schwartz-Malone.pdf

You can’t have 2 variables in an experiment. Use both formulas on male and female, then average them out.

WTF?
What experiment?

As far as I can gather the two formulae are established, I’m just not certain that the Malone formula has been produced with the intention of being compatable with the Schwartz for the purpose of direct comparison.

If not, there must be a fairly accurate method already developed to allow this comparison?

Dax

Schwartz is outdated. Wilks would be a better standard. IMO.

Do you need a link?

I realise Wilks is better, but I was uder the opinion that Schwartz and Malone can be used to directly compare male & female lifters.
i.e. male lifter Schwatz = 500points, female’s Malone = 510 points, therefore female is best lifter?

Dax

Quite honestly, I have not given that much thought…I have been away from the Schwartz for years and have not much experience with Malone (basically none).

I will drop an email to someone who might have a different angle. Will let you know the outcome. Could take a day or two.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
I realise Wilks is better, but I was uder the opinion that Schwartz and Malone can be used to directly compare male & female lifters.
i.e. male lifter Schwatz = 500points, female’s Malone = 510 points, therefore female is best lifter?

Dax[/quote]

[quote]Old Dax wrote:

Dax[/quote]

Depending on what you mean by best.

apwsearch,
thanks.
Cap’n,
best as in strongest, taking into account their sex and body weight vs their lifts.

It would answer this question:
Female, B.wt. 58kg, totals 315kg
Male, B.wt. 75kg, totals 542.5kg
who is best?

Dax