Male Strength and Voice Are Related

whut?

Same study:

[quote]florin wrote:

[quote]
“It’s not pitch, not amplitude, not volume, it’s not how fast you are talking,” he said. “It’s one of those mysteries. We really don’t know.”[/quote][/quote]

If it’s not any of that then what the hell is it? It sounds like they are saying "yep it’s voice. Wwe can’t figure out what it is about the voice, but it’s definitely the voice.’

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
whut?[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA

From page two of the article:

"Estimates of strength from the voice were “accurate and highly significant across all six male samples.” The accuracy was similar to the accuracy of assessments from a visual image of the face in earlier studies, but lower than estimates from images of the body."

So physical appearance, not voice, is still the primary means of assessing strength, and they even admit that in their findings…thanks for that random boffins.

I think the whole study is an exercise in grant acquistion. From page three of the article:

“The big question in evolutionary psychology is whether or not natural selection is important to understand if you want to understand human behavior. We’re arguing that’s the process that built the mind, so if you want to know how the mind works you’re really hamstringing yourself if you don’t study natural selection.”

Natural selection built the human mind? Garbage. The instinct to survive built the human mind. Natural selection ceased to become a determining factor the moment man started to defend himself and the rest of his kind against predators and disease…it’s called ‘society’.

You can make your voice deeper by screaming a lot.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
You can make your voice deeper by screaming a lot.[/quote]

Then why doesn’t my wife sound like James Earl Jones?

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Then why doesn’t my wife sound like James Earl Jones?[/quote]

zing!

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Then why doesn’t my wife sound like James Earl Jones?[/quote]

An amusing response would be “Get her to lose 50 pounds and we’ll see.”
But I don’t really know you well enough to make a joke like that. ;')

It’s probable that the researchers were looking for evidence of something different to what readers of this forum might expect, or that the journalists put their work into a different context.

I’ve noticed the correlation betwen voice and strength also. My theory is that voice depth, like certain physical features, is a signal that people subconsciously pick up on to form judgments about others. The correlation is only a correlation, though, and the relationship is far from absolute. Testosterone levels influence both voice depth and physical strength, but both characteristics are also influenced by things other than testosterone levels. The result is that the correlation between voice depth and strengh is only a loose one.

[quote]roybot wrote:
From page two of the article:

"Estimates of strength from the voice were “accurate and highly significant across all six male samples.” The accuracy was similar to the accuracy of assessments from a visual image of the face in earlier studies, but lower than estimates from images of the body."

So physical appearance, not voice, is still the primary means of assessing strength, and they even admit that in their findings…thanks for that random boffins.

I think the whole study is an exercise in grant acquistion. From page three of the article:

“The big question in evolutionary psychology is whether or not natural selection is important to understand if you want to understand human behavior. We’re arguing that’s the process that built the mind, so if you want to know how the mind works you’re really hamstringing yourself if you don’t study natural selection.”

Natural selection built the human mind? Garbage. The instinct to survive built the human mind. Natural selection ceased to become a determining factor the moment man started to defend himself and the rest of his kind against predators and disease…it’s called ‘society’.

[/quote]

Yeah and obviously there is no natural selection within ‘societies’… Oh wait…

Assuming that the data isnt falsified or something they are pretty interesting findings if they can be replicated.

It was a poorly described experiment in the article but I think I got the gist. They measured each mans strength somehow. Maybe grip?

Then they recorded their voice (many different men, many different languages).

They played the voice to a person who rated them in terms of strength. Obviously they would not have been allowed to see them as that would ruin the study. The people were able to guess using voice at a reasonably significant rate.

They also said it wasn’t depth. So mike tyson is not precluded even when you realize that there will be notable exceptions to any rule.

The only thing I can think of is skull shape / bone frame. I think of Rampage Jackson or most NFL players. They are some thick skulled, heavy browed, lantern jawed motherfuckers and probably not all because of HGH. I mean look at Mike Singletary’s thick ass skull. Mike Tyson is the same way come to think of it. I dont know shit about acoustics but maybe there is some other effect a cavernous skull produces on the voice. Im just spitballing here.

[quote]Eli B wrote:

Yeah and obviously there is no natural selection within ‘societies’… Oh wait…[/quote]

Define ‘natural’ selection, then (hint: a physically healthy, strong and reasonably intelligent guy getting run over by a bus is not ‘natural’ selection as it pertains to this study).

So, my question is, did they take a lot of guys, record, measure test whatever thier voice, then square them off in an octagon? how exactly are they determining who would win in a fight? Do they go bare hands? Are there any rules? Are they just playing tekken or something?

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
So, my question is, did they take a lot of guys, record, measure test whatever thier voice, then square them off in an octagon? how exactly are they determining who would win in a fight? Do they go bare hands? Are there any rules? Are they just playing tekken or something?

V[/quote]

The fact that all of those questions exist is why this article is lacking any info that could actually make any scientific impact.

Tay Zonday: The anti-Ronnie Coleman (deep voice, not swole or strong)

Edit: awww shit. I missed the links earlier. Flame the noob everyone!
Here’s some tits so I don’t have to GTFO:

Here’s a link to the actual study:
http://www.psych.ucsb.edu/research/cep/papers/voice_sell%20et%20al%206.2010.pdf

I haven’t read it yet so I won’t comment, but I’ll try to have a close look after I get back home. I’m knee deep in frog studies right now so I probably wouldn’t understand anything with the word “human” in it until evening anyway…

B.

Did anybody even read the article? A whole page of irrelevant Ronnie and Mike references, that was honestly embarrassing…

[quote]Deorum wrote:
Did anybody even read the article? A whole page of irrelevant Ronnie and Mike references, that was honestly embarrassing… [/quote]

Then you clearly misunderstood the point of mentioning them.

Yes, we read the article. yes, we know that pitch and tone were not used…we also know they didn’t say what WAS used…which makes the whole fucking article pointless.

I pointed out Mike Tyson because no one doubts he is strong…yet would you think he was fucking strong as hell from his voice alone?

I am betting hell no and I am betting these scientists would screw up someone like Ronnie as well especially since they can’t even put their own fucking guidelines into words.