Male Pattern Baldness

Hey Im in my twenties and my hair is starting to thin, thinkin about rogaine and propecia,( although propecia blocks DHT, dunno the pathway so a little leary) wondering if anyone had any advice/anecdotes to help a brother out.

Shave your head.

Why waste your money on that stuff, if it only “reduces” or slows down hair loss. The biggest loss will be to your wallet.

I used Propecia several years ago for about a year. It may have slowed loss, but that’s about it. I took the better route and shaved my head. It was the best decision I made. I love it now.

I have friends who have used the shampoos or other things, and they are all pretty much the same. They may slow it down, but you won’t escape it, and you’ll wonder why you wasted your money when you can look damn sexy if you shave it.

I’m with Nate Dog. I am 25, and my hair started to really thin at about 20, 21. I never really bothered to waste my time or money on any products that may only slow hair loss. If you are sensitive to male pattern baldness, it’s going to fall out anyways, and there’s nothing as of right now you can really do. If you are in shape, and have a confident attitude, you won’t have problems with getting chicks. …and what else is hair good for anyways besides aesthetics? Just as a side note, MANY women really love a shaved head, as I have found out of the past couple of years. Just my $.02.

I would advise throw in the towel and embrace your baldnes, shave it. I have shaved mine a couple of times. I loved it, and got some real good feedback from different folks,but my wife hated it. She said it made me look mean. So to keep the wife happy, I don’t shave it anymore, but I would if she would go along with it.

Try hairsite.com. A lot of great info over there!

Shave it.

You will accept it after a while. I wouldn’t waste my money on rogaine or any pills. It might slow it down or make you think it’s slowing down, but there is really no stopping the inevitible. Just let it go.

Start practicing your Donald Trump combover.

just kidding :slight_smile:

There’s a new drug out there called Dutasteride… it’s supposed to be much more effective than finasteride. I haven’t tried it yet… I just cut a proscar tab into four pieces.

a hairdresser friend of mine told me that the best thing to use would be Johnson and Johnson’s (sp?) baby shampoo. Won’t help with new growth but it does not have the other crap like that added to other shampoos that can ‘foul’ or clog hair follices. I am not entirely sold on that explanation, but I have adopted it.
Just an idea…
ps… why use 'sham’poo, use real poo…:wink:

Is Donald Trump’s hair really a combover?

shave it, save your money to buy something that is useful…

You know, not everyone looks good with a bald head. Just to let you know.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
You know, not everyone looks good with a bald head. Just to let you know.[/quote]

but everyone looks effeminate fretting over their hair.

Dumb me 2 years ago-

5 years of hair restoration products, hair cuts = $6,000

Smart me now-

1 clipper for 2 years = $20

Nice bald head that girls love to rub = Priceless

I wish I only knew a long time ago.

[quote]Kyubert wrote:
Dumb me 2 years ago-

5 years of hair restoration products, hair cuts = $6,000

Smart me now-

1 clipper for 2 years = $20

Nice bald head that girls love to rub = Priceless

I wish I only knew a long time ago.[/quote]

EXACTLY!

Oh yeah, before I shaved my head, I was worried that I wouldn’t look good with it shaved, so that was one reason I didn’t do it until three years ago. Had I known then what I know now, I would have shaved it a year or two earlier and not wasted my money or time with those stupid products!

Besides, if you’re confident and secure with yourself, you’ll be just fine without hair.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Is Donald Trump’s hair really a combover?[/quote]

Do a search - many have commented on it:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=donald+trump+hair+combover

I love the comment, “He looks like a reject from auditions of the 1996 Farrelly Brother’s film KINGPIN.”

Even with all the financial success he’s had, the man is insecure about his baldness. More power to those of you who have the courage to shave it rather than comb it over.

(I’m lucky enough to have inherited my maternal grandfather’s hair genes. He died with a full head of hair. At 42, I have no signs of baldness.)

And everyone ALSO looks like an asshat for hijacking a thread, and trying to convince someone seeking advice to give up.

[quote]doogie wrote:
nephorm wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]nephorm wrote:
And everyone ALSO looks like an asshat for hijacking a thread, and trying to convince someone seeking advice to give up.

doogie wrote:
nephorm wrote:

[/quote]

An asshat!! That will help him.

This is always a touchy subject with you, Nephorm. Do you have coat hanger scars on your head from where the doctor just knicked you?

Don’t project your “mommy issues” onto ME, doogie. I’m sure she really was just “washing” you “down there.”

Anyway, it’s not a touchy issue for me… it just follows a predictable pattern: Someone asks a reasonable question about a drug, and 20 people have to chime in about how he shouldn’t use it, should just learn to accept it, etc. Which sort of seems counter to the whole idea of this site. Just think of it this way: how pissed would some of you be if every time a question were posted about steroids, 90 people flooded it by saying “Hey! Train natural! Like me me me!” Oh. Wait.

Unlike you, doogster (can we have pet names for each other, now?) I wasn’t insulting anyone. I was pointing out that some guys don’t look good with the bald look. You respond by saying that guys that care about their hair are effeminate. I guess the same could be said about muscles and bodyfat. Go figure.

[quote]doogie wrote:
This is always a touchy subject with you, Nephorm. Do you have coat hanger scars on your head from where the doctor just knicked you?

[/quote]