Male Nurses

I am 100% for male nurses and 100% for anyone pursuing the career that they are most happy doing. If everyone was doing a job they loved and found satisfying then it would be one heck of a better world.

Male nurses also are theoretically stronger on average and that is very, very handy especially with the fatties that come in to hospital these days.

Also handy if patients have a problem being seen by a woman (for whatever reason).

The pay can be excellent especially in countries where there is a shortage.

The work can be flexible for hours etc… and there is a bit of a career path.

It can also be rewarding and also, hard work.

It is a field that no doubt has growing demand with aging population. It is a field that isn’t vulnerable to overseas competition in a global economy … there is a worldwide shortage, and cheap labour from China won’t make you obsolete.

Past notions of gender roles need to be dropped.

I have 10x the respect for a man working the job of a nurse than I do for a man in the manly job of manager, CEO, or other office work.

I know quite a few male nurses. Some of them are gay. Big deal.

And to back up what someone else said about going into a female-dominated field:

Good idea. I did the same thing, only instead of RN, I am an MT (medical technologist), which is just as female-oriented as the nursing field. I am having a field day with this.

Consider going into laboratory medicine, and maybe I’ll get you a job. :slight_smile:

As long as a male nurse didn’t give me a sponge bath I would be cool with it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I am amazed there are still people who see being a nurse as a “female job”. You would think that by 2006, that would have died down more than this. When I was in high school, I believe the average income in Texas for an RN was about 65,000 a year. [/quote]

Pretty much amazes me too. Haha, maybe the film “Meet the Parents” perpetuated this notion.

At any rate, I’ve got a couple of friends that are nurses and they do get payed quite well and because of the demand for nurses, can pretty much choose at will where they’d like to live. But as with anything else, don’t base your decision to pursue a nursing career soley on money alone. It’s a very demanding job and I know at times requires working some brutal shifts and long hours. I know that both of my friends have wrestled with job burnout at times. I guess the bottom line is to make certain you have a vested interest in the field. Good luck.

TUBE STEAK BOOGIE

Hey are male hairdressers gay in your book too?

[quote]Tithonus81 wrote:
*What’s your opinion of men being nurses? Do you think men should be nurses?
[/quote]

Works for me.

Well it hasn’t negatively affected me as far as I know. And yes, I did score on some of my female nurses in nursing school.

No one in my life has ever thought I was gay because I was a nurse, not my patients and not the women I meet. They all seem to think it is cool. Ok, there was one exception; this Middle Eastern dork gave me a hard time about it until I told him how much money I made, then he shut up.

That is a cultural thing. People don’t seem to be uncomfortable with a male doctor, so for the most part a male nurse is the same. However, I have been told by some women that they would not want me as there nurse because they would be attracted to me and not want me to see them in the hospital without makeup, etc. So I guess that if you are an ugly male nurse no one would have a problem with it, but if you are good looking it may cause some tension at times with the women.

Again, no different for a male doctor. The usual drill is to have a female nurse or other staff member also in the room to keep it comfortable and protect yourself from potential accusations of inappropriate behavior.

Most of the other male nurses I have worked with are very sharp and do a great job. So I would be fine with a male nurse. However, if I had a choice between a hot female nurse and a male nurse I would have to choose the female, for purely academic reasons of course!

I have never been treated differently that I know of.

I have personally found it to be the opposite. Male nurses, like males in any profession, tend to get promoted at a faster rate than females. Male nurses are looked upon as a better resource in general than female nurses. That has just been my experience.

As for duties, we often get the job of lifting heavy patients over females. But this has never bothered me. It’s just part of being a guy.

[quote]
*If you’re a male nurse - SPEAK UP![/quote]

What else do you want to know?

[quote]electric_eales wrote:
TUBE STEAK BOOGIE

Hey are male hairdressers gay in your book too?

[/quote]

The two that work at the place I get my hair cut sure as hell are.