Male Muscle Dysmorphia Study

Height in cm? Who the fuck knows that?

Just write “x feet y inches in cm” in Google, and it will spit out the result. Or do it the hard way, 30.5 cm to a foot, 2.5cm to an inch.

[quote]gregron wrote:
On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn’t have any lunch. In fact, I didn’t eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn’t ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. “Mom, it’s just for a school project”. “What project?” “I don’t know mom I just started it!”. A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don’t want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don’t. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear “Do you want a cookie I just baked”. I know I do not have time for this **** now. “No mom I do not want a cookie” I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?

The creatine has entered my veins, I can feel it raging inside of me. I look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. I’ve become scared of my own strength. My mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door…I dont want her to see me like this. Just a few moments later, I catch myself looking at myself in the mirror…I can barely recognize myself.[/quote]

Dude have you been spying on my life?

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
Height in cm? Who the fuck knows that?[/quote]

Haha Australian study,all metric.
Thanks everyone who has done it,I know some of the questions are a bit repetitive!

As a result of participating in this study it is unlikely that you will experience distress or discomfort, but if this does occur, please contact the Butterfly Foundation on 1800 334 673 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

What is the Butterfly Foundation? Do they help people get off da creatinz?

[quote]gregron wrote:
On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn’t have any lunch. In fact, I didn’t eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn’t ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. “Mom, it’s just for a school project”. “What project?” “I don’t know mom I just started it!”. A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don’t want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don’t. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear “Do you want a cookie I just baked”. I know I do not have time for this **** now. “No mom I do not want a cookie” I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?

The creatine has entered my veins, I can feel it raging inside of me. I look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. I’ve become scared of my own strength. My mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door…I dont want her to see me like this. Just a few moments later, I catch myself looking at myself in the mirror…I can barely recognize myself.[/quote]

Reminded me of this…

^^exactly

I eat alone…YEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH with nobody else, cause you know when I eat alone…I prefer to be by myself.

I love that regular people think protein is what physique and strength athletes worry about exclusively haha.

PROTEIN!

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
Doing the survey, one of the things that I do not care for, one of the questions is:

*I use legal or illegal supplements (creatine or anabolic steroids) to help develop my muscles

Now anyone who takes any supplement, even creatine, has to answer yes to that question… Why would those two things be considered in the same category?

Food for thought, anyway
[/quote]
This type of false equivalency is routine when a study is being used to advance somebody’s agenda (not necessarily the student’s agenda).
*** EDIT:
Having discovered that I was able to see all the questions even though I put my real age of 52, now I am not so sure the question really implies any false equivalency.

This question is not being used as an indicator of a bad thing in and of itself. This question is asking whether or not you go to extra trouble to put a substance most people don’t use into your body to try to improve it in some way. Other questions and answers are being used as an indicator of the supposedly bad thing; and then this question is just to see whether or not there is a correlation with that supposedly bad thing.

The thing I found dubious about the questionnaire was that it seemed there was nothing in it that would provide a really solid indicator of a false perception of one’s body. Dissatisfaction does not equal false perception.

If anyone has tips on developing male muscle dysmorphia I’m all ears. I look at myself in the mirror and think I look fine.

That mindset is not going to cut it to get to 18 inch arms

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
If anyone has tips on developing male muscle dysmorphia I’m all ears. I look at myself in the mirror and think I look fine.

That mindset is not going to cut it to get to 18 inch arms[/quote]

Driven people are mental to the average mind.

You have a home gym, don’t you?

I am pretty sure you meet criteria.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Reminded me of this…[/quote]

Hahaha.

In addition to the obvious data invalidation coming from equating creatine with steroids, and the overly obvious and very disgusting agenda possibilities that question raises, this survey needed two things–1) a series of questions, or at least two questions, defini.g whether the survey participant ever played competitive sports in the past or considers themselves to have a competitive sport mindset (NOT just “competitive bodybuilding”, but having a competitive mindset) and 2) a comments/feedback section on the survey to let the researchers know concerns or problems with the survey.

This is because competitive bodybuilding is not the only damn thing one can do by pursuing long gym hours, and also because even if you are a weekend warrior who doesn’t play competitive sports it does not mean you can’t approach something with a competitive and goal-driven mindset. Why would anybody want to be “average”??

This is how it started for me - First I was going to the gym a couple times a week, then I started eating more protein, eventually using highly concentrated protein powders and experimenting with creatine. Now I walk around weighing 165 at only 5’7" with some 12% bf, train four days a week and lift HUNDREDS of pounds! I am still not satisfied and have added fish oil and even started taking the hormone known as vitamin D. Someday I may even get to 175 or 180 and keep lifting. I know this isn’t normal for human males, but in my eyes, I’m still not that big.

You know, I know that muscle dysmorphia is real. But every time one of these things comes up I find my hackles raised–it always just…STINKS. Obviously I am not calling into question the motives of the OP’s significant other in particular, nor the desire for better understanding of the topic and better treatment in general…but I can’t really help it. I smell a rat with most of this stuff in general.

How many days a week do high school football athletes train? How many days a week do top high school baseball players or hockey or wrestling or soccer players train on the field AND in the gym? How many supplements do many of them take? And why can’t we say that a guy who has serious goals and is very strict and driven in his way there is just being competitive and critical of himself? It is a well established fact that the majority of the all-time greats, not to mention most of the regular top level pros or even collegiate athletes are their own worst critics, relentlessly hard on themselves. Why is it that a guy who couldn’t play that level of sports but wants to excel at SOMETHING is always ready bait for the “must be abnormal, he’s not doing what the herd does and he won’t compromise” line of reasoning?

The minute you stop trying to beat your limits you accept mediocrity and become obsolete. The minute you stop learning the same thing happens.

[quote]Waylon wrote:
This is how it started for me - First I was going to the gym a couple times a week, then I started eating more protein, eventually using highly concentrated protein powders and experimenting with creatine. Now I walk around weighing 165 at only 5’7" with some 12% bf, train four days a week and lift HUNDREDS of pounds! I am still not satisfied and have added fish oil and even started taking the hormone known as vitamin D. Someday I may even get to 175 or 180 and keep lifting. I know this isn’t normal for human males, but in my eyes, I’m still not that big.[/quote]

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
You know, I know that muscle dysmorphia is real. But every time one of these things comes up I find my hackles raised–it always just…STINKS. Obviously I am not calling into question the motives of the OP’s significant other in particular, nor the desire for better understanding of the topic and better treatment in general…but I can’t really help it. I smell a rat with most of this stuff in general.
[/quote]
I hate to throw false data anywhere, and my age is not within the requested range: so I could not get to see any of the questions beyond the first page.

Is there at least one question on the survey that actually pertains to somebody having a false perception of reality? Or is it all just questions about behaviors, goals, and preferences?

edit: I’m dumb nevermind.

Some background on the scientist performing this survey.

Dr. Shaun Watson

Phone number: (03) 5327 9622 (Australia)

Bachelor of Applied Sciences in Information Management
Graduate Diploma in Psychology
Doctor of Philosophy, Monash University, Melbourne

Interested in factors that promote psychological well-being (i.e., mental health) and build resilience, and in particular, looking at the role of leisure and recreation activities, and our relationship to nature.

Examples of recent supervised projects
Nature connectedness: Associations with subjective well-being and pro-environmental behaviour.
Connectedness to nature and subjective well-being: The mediating effects of self-concept clarity.
Resilience and depression: The role of the positive cognitive triad.
Fostering resilience: Examination of the role of physical activity and self-efficacy.
The resilience of younger adults following major life events.
The relationship between physical activity, domains of self-esteem and depressive symptoms.
The role of perceived freedom in leisure in the relationship between leisure participation, and psychological distress in adults.
The relationship between age, participation in leisure activities, and perceived freedom in leisure in women.
The subjective well-being of single mothers: The role of locus of control and social support.
The role of social support in the relationship between stress and well-being in first year university students.

Always important to know whom one is dealing with.

Carry on.