Male Birth-Control Pill?

[center]Scientists develop male birth control pill[/center]
Single dose, hormone-free drug prevents ejaculation of sperm

By Jane Weaver
Health editor
MSNBC
Updated: 8:05 p.m. ET Nov 28, 2006

When it comes to birth control, it may finally be the guy’s turn.

British scientists are developing a male birth control pill that could put a smile on the faces of a lot of women, according to a report by NBC’s Dawn Friesen on “Today” Tuesday. The hormone-free pill, which prevents the ejaculation of sperm, could be on the market in five years.

The pill, a single dose taken a few hours before having sex, affects contraction of the muscles that control ejaculation, but wouldn’t interfere with performance or orgasm sensation, researchers at King’s College London say. The result is a dry ejaculation.

“It’s not stopping sperm production,” Dr. Christopher Smith told NBC News. “It’s not a hormonal method. It’s just simply stopping the muscle which takes the sperm along.”

The scientists found the solution after noticing that drugs used in the treatment of schizophrenia and high blood pressure were effective at preventing ejaculation, according to a report in the British newspaper “The Guardian Unlimited.”

The pill would be more user-friendly than other male contraceptive methods such as vasectomy, injections or implants, researchers told NBC.

“Within half a day, the sperm is on the move again,” says Smith.

If the pill passes clinical trial, it could be a significant benefit for people who are anxious about long-term effects from hormones.

But if men can’t remember to take out the garbage, will they remember to take the birth control pill? Moreover, some men, worried that it could damage their virility, may object to taking any kind of pill.

“We know from international research that men want to take part in fertility control,” Rebecca Findlay from the London Family Planning Association told NBC. "It could be quite liberating for couples.

The pill would not prevent sexually transmitted diseases, she said.

What I would like to know is: Where the hell do the fluids go? If you take this pill everytime you have sex, will your balls eventually explode from sperm buildup? I’m serious!

Apart from this minor issue, I would be all for it.

How 'bout you guys? Would you take it?

Has anyone noticed that every 5 minutes for the last 5 years some scientist discovers a new method of male contraception and yet none of this stuff ever hits the market?

In response to the question, yes. If I ever needed it I would take it in a heartbeat.

I have read of people with “dry ejaculations” due to prostate surgery and their fluid goes in the bladder.

This is supposedly a less pleasurable and shorter orgasm for the man.

I would not take it.

so wait, no more money shots?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I have read of people with “dry ejaculations” due to prostate surgery and their fluid goes in the bladder.

I would not take it.[/quote]

Hmmm, unwanted babies or dry ejaculation…which is worse??

I would totally be up for this. Condoms suck. Most other methods of birth control suck too. My woman has numerous problems when taking the pill but does so anyway as we don’t want children. If me taking a pill every day would fix all these problems and stop the need for a vasectomy, power to the people working on this.

That said, for the past umpteen years we’ve been hearing about male-birth control pills, and as another poster said, they never make it to market.

[quote]AllTraps wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I would not take it.

I would totally be up for this. Condoms suck. Most other methods of birth control suck too. My woman has numerous problems when taking the pill but does so anyway as we don’t want children. If me taking a pill every day would fix all these problems and stop the need for a vasectomy, power to the people working on this.

That said, for the past umpteen years we’ve been hearing about male-birth control pills, and as another poster said, they never make it to market. [/quote]

Condoms suck. This sounds worse. At least condoms can help prevent the spread of STDs.

Agreed. Sorry, but some kind of limited, “dry ejaculation?” No thanks.

AllTraps wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I would not take it.

That said, for the past umpteen years we’ve been hearing about male-birth control pills, and as another poster said, they never make it to market.

Condoms suck. This sounds worse. At least condoms can help prevent the spread of STDs.[/quote]

Condoms suck. This sounds worse. At least condoms can help prevent the spread of STDs.[/quote]

I agree on the STD bit. But that’s not my issue when I’m not (and she’s not) sleeping around.
For serious couples looking for long term, low side-effect, birth control options…this may be the lesser of two evils.

I would not take it.[/quote]

Oh and by the way…

[quote]The Article that was quoted in the first post wrote:

The pill, a single dose taken a few hours before having sex, affects contraction of the muscles that control ejaculation, but wouldn’t interfere with performance or orgasm sensation, researchers at King’s College London say.[/quote]

“But if men can’t remember to take out the garbage, will they remember to take the birth control pill?”

Why the fuck is it that every article on male birth control has a comment like this? As if because I’m a male I’m some incompetent idiot who’s to stupid to handle the responsibility of handling birth control. They have one in every article and it always pisses me off.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
“But if men can’t remember to take out the garbage, will they remember to take the birth control pill?”

Why the fuck is it that every article on male birth control has a comment like this? As if because I’m a male I’m some incompetent idiot who’s to stupid to handle the responsibility of handling birth control. They have one in every article and it always pisses me off.[/quote]

Because that’s how women see men…until the run into a mouse or a spider, then we become hyper reliable and dependable all of a sudden.

Another effect of this pill would be to eliminate the eternal female question…“do I spit or do I swallow…?”

Who wants to start taking bets this drug will never see the light of day?

If its a “dry orgasm” I hope we can at least blow out some air out like a whale’s blow hole

And you have to take it 3 to 4 hours before sex. Talk about ruining the spontaneity of a quickie!

Cumshots: Real men’s birth control.

In other news, if it’s really that big of a deal, then that bitch can take out the garbage.

Not that I’m married, or ever plan to be. This shit just pisses me off.

I’m wondering how many people are worried that suddenly much fewer men are going to get married and have children now that THEY get to decide if and when they want to start a family.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
The Article that was quoted in the first post wrote:

The pill, a single dose taken a few hours before having sex, affects contraction of the muscles that control ejaculation, but wouldn’t interfere with performance or orgasm sensation, researchers at King’s College London say.

[/quote]

Orgasm sensation is tied directly to muscle contraction so that statement is utter bullshit.

Dry ejaculation. Uh uh. I wouldn’t take it. Anyhow, it hasn’t been around long enough. No one really knows potential complications in the longrun. The female pill has been around a long time. It has its own complications and can really mess with the hormone levels of some women. Some fair pretty poorly with it. But we at least know what they are.