Making Surge Taste Good

This is not a question, but an answer.

Mix it slowly with a spoon and water. Add a little bit of water, then a little bit of Surge, keep going and stir softly. Do not let it foam up.

The rest is backstory on how and why I came to this. Read it if you care to know. But it is not necessary.

I hated the taste. Mixed it in my shaker, plug my nose and gulp it down. Half done I would punk out and dump the rest. Tried this for a week hoping it would grow on me. It did not, so I shelved it and went back to Grow! or a good meal. That was a year ago.

A few days ago, ran out of Grow!, and had no time for a meal. So I tried Surge again (checked the expiry date, still good), I now mixed with my milk shake mixer (better than a shaker for Grow!). It created 2 layers. Bottom layer of tasty liquid, real tasty. Top layer of evil death foam. The foam was more foul than any food product should be.

So tonight I figured to mix it slow, create no foam, and see. This Friday, when the Grow! bars go on sale, many a Surge will be ordered.

Hope this helps people who have tried and hated try it again.

I will have to try this. I am hitting Surge again during this cycle because it is effective, I just hate the taste so much I avoid it otherwise. I completely agree the foamy “head” is the worst part.

Though, it is not entirely Surge’s fault. Vanilla is just a terrible flavor for protein or anything. Chocolate is probably the best, but I have no idea why they don’t have a chocolate version.

Not like the taste of Surge!?

That is crazy talk!

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
Top layer of evil death foam. The foam was more foul than any food product should be.

quote]

So true the foam is nasty!

I mix mine in a standard nalgene bottle but I fill it leaving very little airspace, and use ice cubes. Ice cubes act as aggitators when I shake it up and I get little foam.

I also mix it about 30 minutes before I plan to use it, drink half while lifting, and finish it on the ride home so foaming is limited.

A) it’s not vanilla, it’s ameretto or almond.

B) it tastes like angel food cake and is freaking amazing.

C) you guys need taste bud transplants or something.

V

What is the deal with Surge? There don’t seem to be very many folks in the middle. I mean you have the folks that love the taste (like me) or you have those that can’t stand the taste.

There are very few that are Surge neutral. Why is that?

[quote]Vegita wrote:
[/quote]

I agree. First couple times I tried it I had to adjust to the taste but now I love it, foamy head and all.

Surge is like dessert. It’s the best tasting mix ever. I love it.

I’ve never tried Surge… but I have concocted by own hydrolyzed protein drink, and I can vouch that this stuff is HORRIBLE. They’d have to use very strong flavouring to cover up the rotting foot taste. I’d imagine the strong flavouring (and sucralose, which is VERY sweet) could account for the polarization of like and dislike.

[quote]SicTorn wrote:
Vegita wrote:

I agree. First couple times I tried it I had to adjust to the taste but now I love it, foamy head and all.[/quote]

you … … … no.
I just won’t.
Cold turkey.
I can leave that alone, I’m strong.
:wink:

muahahaha! I like sic torn more everyday. (her approach to bodybuilding is impressive too)

I mix mine in a Gatorade bottle. So, no matter what, I get the head.

Damn, that sounded sexy.

Really though, I just throw in a tablespoon of home-mix Gatorade (do the same with my Power Drive - makes it so I can drink it without gagging).

I think it has to do w/ the amount of water you use, if you dilute it too much the taste sorta gets weaker. That could be what some folks’ problem is.

i know it’s tough to resist using that 1000 watt turbo master blender, or shakin it up like ric ocasek on crank, but if y’all would just stir it into a glass with a spoon or something, you know nice and easy , you’d avoid that flavor separation.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
muahahaha! I like sic torn more everyday. (her approach to bodybuilding is impressive too)
[/quote]

Why thank you. :slight_smile:

I thought I was a freak or something because I just didn’t like the taste of Surge. The foam just put the ass in nasty. I tried the slow stirring method and found that helped a bit.

Thank god I’m not alone.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
What is the deal with Surge? There don’t seem to be very many folks in the middle. I mean you have the folks that love the taste (like me) or you have those that can’t stand the taste.

There are very few that are Surge neutral. Why is that? [/quote]

I believe it has to do with a certain small percent of “super tasters” (people with heightened taste buds) that can taste the masked flavor of the hydro whey. Apparently there is something in design of Surge that fools the taste buds into tasting something in contrast to the hydro. Works for some, but not all. I recall reading something that JB wrote on this to that effect.

Yeah, I guess I could be called a super tasters. Kitchen staff at restaurants are amazed when I tell them that I know when they have changed food distributors. They are happy when I notice they upgraded. And say no when they go cheaper. I later talk to the cooks, they tell me I was right.

This said, This post is not to belittle Surge, but to try to tell people who have tried it and not liked it to try it again.

[quote]Vyskol wrote:
I’ve never tried Surge… but I have concocted by own hydrolyzed protein drink, and I can vouch that this stuff is HORRIBLE. They’d have to use very strong flavouring to cover up the rotting foot taste. I’d imagine the strong flavouring (and sucralose, which is VERY sweet) could account for the polarization of like and dislike.
[/quote]

If you’ve never tried it, how can you comment on the taste of it?

Obviously, it doesn’t taste lyke your hydrolized whey experiment, or there wouldn’t be all these other people here who love it. It’s not so much that the flavoring is “strong”, it’s actually science. The guys in the lab figured out which tastes are worst and formulated flavors that compete for those same taste buds. Amazing what some smart guys can do…

[quote]rainjack wrote:

There are very few that are Surge neutral. Why is that? [/quote]

I’m in the middle. I didn’t like it at first. I like it OK now. But I don’t go ape-shit over it like most people here.

My concensus: “it’s OK”.