Making Sure I've Got the Basics Down...

Eat your biggest meals at breakfast and after workouts. High carb.

Your pre-post workout meals should have high protein and high carbs, but minimal fats because the fats bind to protein and slow down protein absorption.

1g protein per lb of lean body mass, at least.

How are BCAA supplements different from the BCAAs found in food and in Optimum Nutrition’s 100% Whey supplement?
What’s the low down on insulin spikes? I’ve heard they’re good, I’ve also heard they’re bad.

Fill an urchin on the nutritional basics!

That sounds good to me. Thanks dude.

Any info on the insulin business?

Thanks BBB!

I would post something, but I would only disrupt the stream of knowledge that BBB is spewing forth. Oh shit I am typing this so I must be getting ready to hit submit and post…

Ok here is my .02 You need to run a calorie surplus to add bodymass, and a calorie defecit to lose bodymass, so thats step 1, if your goal is getting bigger you can do all the nutrient timing you want, if your calories aren’t above maintenance, you ain’t gaining jack shit for muscle. Once you pick a nutrient timing plan stay on it. If you aren’t gaining at a rate you want, add calories, don’t go trying different approaches.

The only way I would deviate from your nutrient timing plan is if you are gaining but it’s too much fat and not enough muscle.

V

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Of course, lol.

Insulin is a very powerful hormone that can easily make or break a physique.

Those in favour of PWO carbs tend to say that you need the PWO insulin spike to replenish glycogen. What they seem to forget (or not realise) is that for weightlifters/BBers, there is little need to replenish glycogen in the acute phase (PWO). Also, for some people (myself included) workouts that are intense, seem to diminish an individuals sensistivity to insulin, leaving them with little appetite in the PWO window and a tendancy to gain fat and/or bloat out if the consume carbs PWO.

If you consume carbs PrWO (pre workout) instead, you still get the insulin spike and this facilitates growth in 3 ways:

Firstly you get a significant extra muscle pump, which equates to a fascia stretch, allowing room for future growth.

Secondly you have so much ‘added’ energy from all those carbs, that you have a more productive, intense training session. The harder you train, generally the better your physique - all other things being equal.

Thirdly, insulin is strongly anti-catabolic to muscle so you are preserving more of that muscle which may be in a ‘state of flux’ from previous recent training sessions. In other words, if you trained legs yesterday then they are damaged and trying to recover. The last thing they need is you robbing them of vital nutrients to grow by training back this morning. Insulin helps prevent their further breakdown.

Now some people will say “oh but insulin is anticatabolic to fat, so if you have PrWO carbs and it’s resulting insulin spike, going into a workout, you won’t burn fat and you won’t get lean.” I say to that "Sorry, everyone I have triend on this protocol got bigger and noticeably leaner. I’m not going to detail what I think are the physiological mechanisms in place (because I’m enjoying a plate of succulent bacon for one) that cause this, but one of them is that generally the more muscle you carry, the leaner you are (all other things being equal).

There is more but I don’t want to frazzle your synapses this early on, lol.

BBB[/quote]

Exactly how I feel to a t. I tried to make this argument in a recent thread, but you seem to word things much better than I. You’re one of posters that I tend to agree with and I think you’re one of the more knowledgeable guys around here. There’s just one thing missing…hmmm oh yea your ego.

[quote]Blackened wrote:
Your pre-post workout meals should have high protein and high carbs, but minimal fats because the fats bind to protein and slow down protein absorption. [/quote]

I wouldn’t sweat the fat content of a post workout meal too hard. I read a study somewhere that indicated that it didn’t really slow down absorption. Fat isn’t necessary pre/post workout (as it is not carbs or protein), but it won’t really hurt you either (unless you just end up eating too many calories that day for your goal)

…In real life I come accros as arrogant, so I try to make it my business to keep humble and non egocentric on the boards. [/quote]
Arrogant people are that way for a reason! :slight_smile: (I’m an arrogant SOB myself, so I meant that as a compliment)

Those in favor of Post-WO carbs tend to say that you need the Post-WO insulin spike to replenish glycogen. What they seem to forget (or not realize) is that for weightlifters/BBers, there is little need to replenish glycogen in the acute phase (Post-WO). Also, for some people (myself included) workouts that are intense, seem to diminish an individuals sensitivity to insulin, leaving them with little appetite in the Post-WO window and a tendency to gain fat and/or bloat out if the consume carbs Post-WO.[/quote]Are insulin spikes from CHO, Whey & BCAAs (without any added carbs) equally ineffective when consumed 5’-10’ Post-WO?

…Especially if our solid meal after that insulin spike contains a considerable amount of fat?