Making Sense of Tabata

Tabatas are used for conditioning & fat loss purposes.

If you’ve never done a tabata before, I’d say just keep it super-simple, perhaps even verging on something which you may THINK is going to be too easy before you attempt it.

My advice would be, do 1 tabata once a week either on a non-training day or at the end of the week.

Do something like: KB swings, bodyweight squats, goblet squats, easy angle push-ups, high-pulls, clean & press, stationery bike sprints etc.

Plus, if you EVER finish a tabata & are NOT staring into space, sweating like a sumo wrestler stuck in a sauna wondering: Why the fuck did I just do that to myself! You ain’t doing it right. You either need a more challlenging tabata cariation OR (much more likely), you need to put a lot more effort into it.

Also, for free weight tabatas, stay wiith the same load for the full 8 rounds

Thanks to all of you for your valuable input. I am shopping to find a gymboss and soon i will do intervals probably twice weekly like about 4 X 20 Sec. with 15 sec. rests on my bike. I realize the 4 min. need a stationairy bike for safety. I will try, 5 than 6 20 sec. intervals with 10 sec. rests squats with dumbells probably weekly.

I too find front squats unsafe. I am glad i started with 4 intervals to get a feel and you helped me figure out my next step.

It is weird, labeled the best protocol, the one protocol you will not want to repeat.

You have bunch of timers to replace gymboss if you have android/iphone.

Personally, I am using tabata protocol only for bodyweight and kettlebel stuff.

I have no phone/android. Wall-mart around here was supposed to have a 7000 interval device but not in stock so maybe in a while. Using the stop watch on my watch, 2 days ago i did a full 4 min. of body weight squats, and today i did it with 6 pounds. Soon i will try with 10 pounds to find my sweet spot.
It is a bit strange that they mention it is good for weight loss. I am not sure it is safe for someone overweight. I would not recommand it for that use even if it would work.
Wy watch is on a chair at eye level at each down, wich is also where i rest.
Well thanks for all the suggestions.

How can we monitor our improvements?
Is our morning heart rate a way?
How low can it go(mine was 44 when i watched it 2 months ago)?
Thanks.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
How can we monitor our improvements?[/quote]
Improvements in what?

Fat loss - Photos, measurements (neck, torso [around nipple line], upper arms, waist, thigh, calves), how clothes fit. Strength - Rep PRs. “Fitness” - resting heart rate, fixed distance run time, flexibility assessment, triglyceride levels, whatever. It’s a pretty general concept.

If anything, I’d go with resting heart rate during the day. Morning heart rate (first thing right out of bed) can fluctuate based on general recovery, overtraining, stress, etc.

Zero. Zero is as low as it could go.

Well, you can measure respiratory efficiency by monitoring changes to your minute ventilation rate… respiratory volume x breaths per minute.

Healthier individuals actually breathe less in terms of total volume of air over time.

And while this is way outside the scope of this site, you can also get an idea of your body oxygenation using the “control pause (CP)” test.

CP test explanation: Measure CP : A DIY Test Measuring Body Oxygen Levels in 1 Min

Also a few interesting tables on that page with respect to respiration volume and various diseases.

Thanks for the answers. I will try to keep the single digit for body fat. Since i am lean and flexible i will use the heart rate.