Making P-Ups Better Than Benching!

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
If you said: “I’m going to train my lats today by benching,” everyone would view that as a non-sequitor. I bench with my mouth closed. I guess that means I’m training jaws tonight!

Listen, if you’re going to stalk my posts to find something to criticize, you’re going to need to do MUCH better than that.[/quote]

First, you’re not important enough to “stalk” so get over yourself already.

Second, this is the second time that I know of that you seem to think that isolating muscles is a good idea (or even POSSIBLE).

The first time it was about eliminating the triceps from a pressing movement which is the epitome of ill-informed.

Keep up the good work!

derek wrote:
Actually the idea of isolating the pecs, delts and triceps is missing something, I think. The lats, biceps, hamstrings, traps and abs (plus many others) all contribute to a proper bench press.

If you said: “I’m going to train my lats today by benching,” everyone would view that as a non-sequitor. I bench with my mouth closed. I guess that means I’m training jaws tonight!

Listen, if you’re going to stalk my posts to find something to criticize, you’re going to need to do MUCH better than that.[/quote]

Why are you being so pissy all the time? He made a valid point. It’s like you’re trying to draw attention to yourself.

Can’t we all just get along?

LOL, agreed. I’m picturing in my head right now the first guy to ever use bands for benching…“Just fuckin use weight…what are you doing bringing douche bag bands in here for?!”

Kubo

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
wfifer wrote:
I think we’re talking about using bands for push-ups, not for bench press. You can do damn near anything with bands.

What is the difference between bands and the things on the link? More resistance?

The things on the link look more comfortable to work with.[/quote]

I’ve had this and sold it in favor of using bands. The Power Push up has a foam handle at the end. Even though its foam and soft, I found that it created a pressure point on my hand which was very uncomfortable. The bands let your hands lie flat which is more comfortable for me.

And bands are cheaper and more versatile. The Power Push up has a weight limit. You can just keep adding more and more bands - there’s no limit to the number of bands you can use.

When I do pushups against bands, I’ve found two things that make it more comfortable

1. Turn the band so it’s a figure eight. This seems to help with the band slipping around and it “Centers” on your back more easily.

2. Use a pair of hex head dumbbells as handles. Makes it easier to push yourself forward, more onto your toes at the top, and keeps the bands from slipping off. Also give a slightly longer ROM.

You can also do pushups with chains on your back, but I don’t like it as well as bands.

Several of my students, some football players, tried the PowerPushup. They were SHOCKED by the difference, adding only a small amount of resistance to a pushup.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Several of my students, some football players, tried the PowerPushup. They were SHOCKED by the difference, adding only a small amount of resistance to a pushup.

[/quote]

In all fairness, give someone an ab lounge, or an ab rocker and they will most likely get shocked at how much they “feel it” working their abs.

That doesn’t make them a great addition to one’s training.

HELLO! It’s his thread! How can HE be stalking YOU on his own thread?

I remember you being equally irrational on another thread. Is your thought process really that flawed or are you just trying to stir shit?

[quote]MikeKubo wrote:
LOL, agreed. I’m picturing in my head right now the first guy to ever use bands for benching…“Just fuckin use weight…what are you doing bringing douche bag bands in here for?!”

Kubo[/quote]

Very good point! Let the man have his pushup bands. He may actually have a different workout goal than the next guy.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
derek wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
If you had, you wouldn’t have linked to douche bag rubber cords.

“Douche bag rubber cords”?

It’s possible to make a point without sounding like an asshole ya know.

Actually the idea of isolating the pecs, delts and triceps is missing something, I think. The lats, biceps, hamstrings, traps and abs (plus many others) all contribute to a proper bench press. To one degree or another, the entire body is used in a bench press. Just ask Dave Tate or any other succesful bencher.

Very true. If you bench pulling your feet up under you as far as possible while lifting your core (the proper bench technique) then benching will involve even more muscle mass. Trouble is that most guys rest their core.

For <a class=l href=http://webmaxsearch.com?qq=bodybuilding onmouseover=“return (window.status=‘bodybuilding’);” onmouseout=“window.status=‘’;”>bodybuilding, that’s fine, if you need to bring your upper body up to match your leg development.

Sorry if I sound like a Crossfit dude. It wasn’t my intention to start a flame war either, but to share something I thought others might find of value…which I thought was the purpose of the forum.

Adios, gents.

[/quote]

thats not necessarily true. the point of getting your feet underneath you is to help you get the biggest arch you can, for a powerlifting bench. having a greater arch is going to shorten the distace to your chest, and almost turn it into a decline press. a bodybuilding bench press would not be done this way. feet under the hips is a power technique.

…i just read several posts of people telling others to go read…haha, please sir, go read.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

In all fairness, give someone an ab lounge, or an ab rocker and they will most likely get shocked at how much they “feel it” working their abs.

That doesn’t make them a great addition to one’s training.[/quote]

Would wearing a backpack filled with sand while doing pushups make you stronger?

Couldn’t you accomplish the same thing with a weighted vest and your feet elevated? Then, you could immediately go to pull-ups and still have the additional resistance.

Forget bands, Try this:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/33726.html

Hurts like hell.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Would wearing a backpack filled with sand while doing pushups make you stronger?
[/quote]

Stronger than what? Not stronger than weight on a bar or on dumbbells can. So the answer to your loaded question is, no.

[quote]tweaker wrote:
Couldn’t you accomplish the same thing with a weighted vest and your feet elevated? Then, you could immediately go to pull-ups and still have the additional resistance.[/quote]

no. think about it. with a weighted vest of say 40lbs, that 40lbs is constant throughout the entire push-up. at the bottom its 40lbs, at the top its 40lbs, nothing is changing. with bands and this power push-up thing, the resistance changes. the resistance is the least at the bottom, and the most at the top, which does provide a different effect.

ive never worked with bands, as i dont feel that im so close to busting through any strength barriers that it would even make sense for me to use them, but i do understand how they work. elitefts.com and westside barbell has tons of info on band training. they use them primarily to train the weak point of certain lifts, while still using the full range of motion for their lift. they are very usefull, but too complicated for me and my goals at present.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Er…I think this is what bands are for. Personally I just have my girlfriend sit on my back. It turns her on. [/quote]

I usually do the same thing…I have your girlfriend sit on my back.

:wink:

The bands due to the added resistance at the top, teach you to press FAST to overcome that resistance. I’ve tried pushing normal speed and was unable to lockout the press. Pressing faster cured that and now I push fast at all times.

[quote]derek wrote:
The bands due to the added resistance at the top, teach you to press FAST to overcome that resistance. I’ve tried pushing normal speed and was unable to lockout the press. Pressing faster cured that and now I push fast at all times.[/quote]

so would you describe yourself as a fast pusher, as opposed to a slow pusher?

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Stronger than what? Not stronger than weight on a bar or on dumbbells can. So the answer to your loaded question is, no.[/quote]

Hmmm…I weigh 284 and a pushup is about 60% of that, or about 170 lbs of resistance. I currently do sets of 60 on off days. If I max out the PPup (not likely soon), I add 240 lbs of resistance, more than double what a current pushup for me would be, but my reps would go down, of course.

Therefore, for very low rep ranges, bench presses would be better, as soon as I exceed 410 lbs (Note: being in martial art, I use higher rep ranges, as I have to punch and kick for 2 or 3 min per round).

However, when you can do the same number of pushups with the heavier bands, you ARE stronger. So, in one sense you are correct, but not universally.

All you ‘Dave Tate said’ guys are aware that EFS sell this product…in their band section…right?