Making P-Ups Better Than Benching!

www.jumpusa.com/ppushup.htm

I love pushups and this makes the best of both.

Er…I think this is what bands are for. Personally I just have my girlfriend sit on my back. It turns her on.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

I love pushups and this makes the best of both.[/quote]

LOL. Are you serious?

Be a real man and order some bands from EliteFTS. I’m betting you need to start with a mini.

I just do em one-arm/one-leg.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

I love pushups and this makes the best of both.[/quote]

Please buy them and post a video of you using them!

I gotta agree that the bands from EliteFTS is a better way to go (and/or blast straps).

Why are bands better?

Pushups have the advantage of involving way more of your body. Let’s face it, guys: when you bench, you’re LAYING DOWN. You’re basically isolating from the chest up.

Wouldn’t it be better to involve more muscle, if possible? Think of what a pushup does. Now add in the Power Pushup, which can add up to 240 pounds of resistance to your pushup.

No rip on benching (and I have used band training, gents). I think it adds a dimension to training. If you don’t want to try something different however, have a closed mind, then sure…bench all you want.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Pushups have the advantage of involving way more of your body. Let’s face it, guys: when you bench, you’re LAYING DOWN. You’re basically isolating from the chest up.

Wouldn’t it be better to involve more muscle, if possible? Think of what a pushup does. Now add in the Power Pushup, which can add up to 240 pounds of resistance to your pushup.

No rip on benching (and I have used band training, gents). I think it adds a dimension to training. If you don’t want to try something different however, have a closed mind, then sure…bench all you want.[/quote]

The whole point of benching is to isolate the pecs, delts, and triceps. It’s not to involve the core.

How can you not know that?

I also think you’re fibbing about having used bands. If you had, you wouldn’t have linked to douche bag rubber cords.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
If you had, you wouldn’t have linked to douche bag rubber cords.
[/quote]

“Douche bag rubber cords”?

It’s possible to make a point without sounding like an asshole ya know.

Actually the idea of isolating the pecs, delts and triceps is missing something, I think. The lats, biceps, hamstrings, traps and abs (plus many others) all contribute to a proper bench press. To one degree or another, the entire body is used in a bench press. Just ask Dave Tate or any other succesful bencher.

I think we’re talking about using bands for push-ups, not for bench press. You can do damn near anything with bands.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
I think we’re talking about using bands for push-ups, not for bench press. You can do damn near anything with bands. [/quote]

What is the difference between bands and the things on the link? More resistance?

The things on the link look more comfortable to work with.

I think in terms of loading and stress this is very similar to bands, they are good to use sometimes for a change up, but you would seriously overtax your recovery ability if you used them all the time (read the articles on the Westside Barbell site for more details on proper use of bands), so if you intend to base your whole pushing routine on any type of bands for adequate resistance you are probably not going to get optimal result in the long term.

[quote]derek wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
If you had, you wouldn’t have linked to douche bag rubber cords.

“Douche bag rubber cords”?

It’s possible to make a point without sounding like an asshole ya know.

Actually the idea of isolating the pecs, delts and triceps is missing something, I think. The lats, biceps, hamstrings, traps and abs (plus many others) all contribute to a proper bench press. To one degree or another, the entire body is used in a bench press. Just ask Dave Tate or any other succesful bencher.[/quote]

Very true. If you bench pulling your feet up under you as far as possible while lifting your core (the proper bench technique) then benching will involve even more muscle mass. Trouble is that most guys rest their core.

For bodybuilding, that’s fine, if you need to bring your upper body up to match your leg development.

Sorry if I sound like a Crossfit dude. It wasn’t my intention to start a flame war either, but to share something I thought others might find of value…which I thought was the purpose of the forum.

Adios, gents.

I’ve tried the power pushup, and it’s very uncomfortable to use. Putting weights in a backpack or using an xvest is probably a better option.

I bench ~1.8x bw for reps and I can still get a good workout from one of those using the green bands. It does a great job on your entire upper body.

[quote]caneman wrote:
I’ve tried the power pushup, and it’s very uncomfortable to use. Putting weights in a backpack or using an xvest is probably a better option.[/quote]

That’s weird. Are you very tall? I’m only 5’10 and I think its pretty comfortable.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
wfifer wrote:
I think we’re talking about using bands for push-ups, not for bench press. You can do damn near anything with bands.

What is the difference between bands and the things on the link? More resistance?

The things on the link look more comfortable to work with.[/quote]
I think bands are more versatile and cheaper. Buy them because Dave Fucking Tate says so. :wink:

[quote]derek wrote:
Actually the idea of isolating the pecs, delts and triceps is missing something, I think. The lats, biceps, hamstrings, traps and abs (plus many others) all contribute to a proper bench press. [/quote]

If you said: “I’m going to train my lats today by benching,” everyone would view that as a non-sequitor. I bench with my mouth closed. I guess that means I’m training jaws tonight!

Listen, if you’re going to stalk my posts to find something to criticize, you’re going to need to do MUCH better than that.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
derek wrote:
Actually the idea of isolating the pecs, delts and triceps is missing something, I think. The lats, biceps, hamstrings, traps and abs (plus many others) all contribute to a proper bench press.

If you said: “I’m going to train my lats today by benching,” everyone would view that as a non-sequitor. I bench with my mouth closed. I guess that means I’m training jaws tonight!

Listen, if you’re going to stalk my posts to find something to criticize, you’re going to need to do MUCH better than that.[/quote]

HH stated that the pushup was to some degree a full body exercise, which is no less true of a heavy bench press. Substantial muscle tension needs to be maintained from head to toe during a high intensity (defined by force or power in this case) BP. I agree that the rest of the body isn’t being worked at a productive level, but the original response was fair in context.

There’s a notion somewhere that movements in which the torso moves through space(squat, pull-up, dip, deadlift, push-up…) are above even all other compound exercises as far as hormonal response and training effect.

I like the idea of this device. Way more versatile, inexpensive and with more resistance than the weight vest that I own.

Oh, and this one was reviewed by T-Mag here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461110