Making OTS Big Beyond Belief Work

…for me.

Ramp 1 and training phase 1 were all good. Regularly setting PRs, felt good most of the time, but very run down towards the end of the training phase. Increased calories from 4000 a day to 4500+, getting 300 to 350 g of protein a day at a chubby 5.10, 95 kgs.

Problem one:
Work out at home.Most back thickness exercises with a barbell require heavy lower back involvement, which ties in with:

Problem two:
most thigh exercises (squat, front squat, GMs, lunges) also involve the lower back, which leads to:

Problem three:
Feeling weak on compound moves because lower back is hammered, and having to rly on the because of lack of equipment.

Solution to one, two and three:
Join a gym.
And I will.

Now, the others issues I have with the program, and this might lie in my execution of it:
I get a PR of 120x10 in the squat. Now, reducing the weigh about 10%, I get 10 with 105, and the next set 10 with 100.
The last sets completely drain me, to where squats suffer after any kind of press work, back work suffers after squats or tigh work and so on.

I realize I’m being a bit of a bitch about this, but I want the program to work for me.

Here are some ideas to keep up the progress, input much appreciated:

1:Add another rest day, making the format 6on, 2 off.

2:Join a gym where I have access to more equipment.

3:Eat more.

4: Choose exercises that go easier on the lower back, and not have for example T-bar Rows before Squats.

5:Start the program again, with all of the above in mind.

6:Start with the most taxing exercise every workout.Teh program called bor back before thighs today, and even incline presses before thighs. So I did T-bars and incliine presses before squats, fatiguing my shoulders and lower back to the point where 100 kg felt like 150, and I only got 13 weak reps.

Hmmm, Im not exactly familiar with the program, but I will try to make a few comments (with hopefully the more experienced people coming in later).

I like point number 5 you made. Sometimes, a program doesn’t always work out like we would like it too, for different reasons. I actually think starting the program again (or another phase in the program) with the things that you have learned abut your body is a good idea.

I also believe that the actual order of exercises doesn’t matter, so long as you complete the entire workout. For example, if the workout calls for the most demanding exercise at the end, but you prefer to do it first, thats perfectly fine. I really don’t think exercise order has to be written in stone. Do them in the order that suits you best.

Other than that, I don’t feel like Im qualified to comment on anything else. The points I made are things that I have experienced in the past. A program in my opinion can be adjusted slightly. So long as you don’t deviate too much (like with adding sets, or adding more/less workout days) you’ll still keep the premise of the program, while allowing it to meet your needs, which no program can completely do.

To me, it sounds like you already answered your own question.

Since joining a gym is not a problem for you (thankfully), I think the simplest and most optimal solution is simply that. Join a gym, and then choose a wider variety of exercises that don’t trash your lower back (ie. DB Row, Chest Supported Row, Seated Cable Row, etc.) and then this whole issue takes care of itself. You’ll have leg presses and hack squats as options too, so no worries from then on.

The problem of your numbers suffering due to the previous exercise will be history.

Yep, as I wrote that out I got the answers but it’s always nice to get feedback from guys who are where I want to be and have cleared the bumps in the road…If they have had them :stuck_out_tongue: (Noitce hate towards people who can eat shitloads, grow shitloads, lift shitloads naturally as in it come ‘easy’)

Another point might be exercise focus, as in going balls to the wall in the first set, then dropping the weight radically and becoming a form nazi on the next ones to decrease systemic fatigue and increase muscular fatigue if that makes sense.

I’m thinking, after a PR set of squats I’m more motivated by going for the pump and burn ( Yeah. I know) during the last sets sinc I normally would call it quits after a PR set, not beat myself into the ground with 2-4 more sets at only 10% decrease in weight…So, form over weight on the last sets will be the focus when I start up again.

It was also suggested to leave reps in the hole as well.

-I have tried the program, the first phase only and found it to be great. I did all my workouts at my home gym
-I agree with rearranging the exerccise order. I do squats last because I hate them and silently make a deal with god that if I bust my ass, I can leave after my last set of squats.
-I wore a belt for all these exercises except for once when I left it in my bag. The day after was the only day I had profound lower back soreness.
-I used barbell rows and reverse grip BB rows. You could set up like you are doing a DB row with a bench for support, and do unilateral t-bar rows from there.
-Consider the four day option before adding a rest day.
-It’s all relative to what works for you, so fuck anything that doesn’t work for you.

if your back thickness exercises are leaving your LB fried, you could use single arm movements to lessen the load. I’ve been using one arm dumbell rows and they are fucking awsome, if you don’t have dbs you could do single arm corner rows which are also an excellent staple movement. (move a bench or something to push off of also to help with LB fatigue while using more weight)

edit: why aren’t you posting this in the BBB thread?

[quote]MODOK wrote:
I was wondering when someone would try to deconstruct the program… oh well.[/quote]

All programs will be assimilated to accommodate weak ass lower backs and general pussiness.

Resistance is futile.