Making Money in College

Have any of you guys started any businesses or found other ways to make some side money while in college?

Right now the only things I can think of outside of a part time job are tutoring and selling my old notes and textbooks.

If all else fails, you could try your hand at blowing guys behind dumpsters…you know…for money and stuff…

Do you have a webcam?

As Waylander has recommended, bouncing.

I don’t know if the US has an extras website, but you could try that. Also, why not find bar work or something? Always tends to work over here in the UK.

‘Ideally’ see if you can combine making money with experience in your chosen field of future employment. This often seems impossible, but sometimes some lateral thinking can help. As example 1) Architect - Weekend laboring at building sites 2) Mechanical Engineering - Working at a storage depot for mechanical supplies. 3) Business - Gets some experience in sales.
If you need some ideas, what are you studying/career aspirations and see if anyone here has some ideas.

For more general ideas:

1. Catering companies - they need extra help at wedding season etc.
  2. Club work - bar, door, etc. You also get lot’s of cute girls this way.
  3. Building sites - weekend laboring
  4. Gardening
  5. Gym - Cleaning etc. Free gym use will help you.

If you are looking for a job that is relevant to your major and is something that will look good on your resume, your best bet is a summer internship. Internships that pay tend to be pretty competitive, though. If you are majoring in something like liberal arts you can pretty much forget about a paid internship.

Something like a hard science or engineering will have more opportunities for a paid position, but even unpaid internships will look good on your resume. I generally offer one paid internship over the summer for about $4000,00 and a few unpaid or paid internships while the semester is in, depending on how much funding I have available which tends to be the norm.

Outside of that, work as a waiter or in a coffee shop or McDonald’s. Places like that will be more likely to work around your class schedule. Doing a paid internship over the summer and a McJob during the semester is probably the best way to go.

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
job … internship. Internships … internship.

… paid position, …internships … internship … internships

… work … work … internship … McJob [/quote]

Please note the important words used in the good post I have quoted.

Get a jobby job. Word of the day J-O-B, job.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:

Get a jobby job. Word of the day J-O-B, job.[/quote]

x2.

If you want a job in the future (like after graduation), having real jobs on your resume will do more for you than some “business” you started up. Unless you want to run businesses the rest of your life, and are very successful at it… in which case, why are you in college?

Meaning, by the very nature of asking the question on here, you should be looking for a job. At the very least, I’m sure there’s campus jobs available wherever you are. Food service is an option. The absolute best thing you could do is an internship/co-op in your field of study.

[quote]DN90 wrote:
Have any of you guys started any businesses or found other ways to make some side money while in college?

Right now the only things I can think of outside of a part time job are tutoring and selling my old notes and textbooks.

[/quote]

Go work in a bank 40-50 hours a week.

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:

Wait…people pay people to do jobs? I just thought that the money genie put money in my bank account and paid off my credit cards that my parents gave me while I walk on tight ropes and smoke dope all day…dang.

Have you considered Nigerian Email Scams?

Here, I’m going to make some shit up to get you started. Just cut and paste…

“Greetings to you on this most holiest of days! Allow me to make my introduction. I am DOCTOR REVEREND KWAME AKUNBO ASEI-ANING, LLB, CA, PhD, Esq. My client, a merchant of spice, untimely and most unfortunatously met his perish when his Cessna Aircraft stuffed with Tumeric crashed in Freetown, Sierra Leone. As I have been unable to locate his next of kin, I have decided to propose this opportunity of mutual businessosity to YOU, . For your assistance, I will transfer to you the tidy sum of 32.6 AMERICAN DOLLARS OF UNITED STATES to any numbered bank account you choose. Please respond within 5 business days.”

See, when they respond, just make up some bullshit bank surcharge they have to pay. Everybody wins! (Well, except the guy you scam, I guess)

It would also help if you moved to Nairobi.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

“Greetings to you on this most holiest of days! Allow me to make my introduction. I am DOCTOR REVEREND KWAME AKUNBO ASEI-ANING, LLB, CA, PhD, Esq. My client, a merchant of spice, untimely and most unfortunatously met his perish when his Cessna Aircraft stuffed with Tumeric crashed in Freetown, Sierra Leone. As I have been unable to locate his next of kin, I have decided to propose this opportunity of mutual businessosity to YOU, . For your assistance, I will transfer to you the tidy sum of 32.6 AMERICAN DOLLARS OF UNITED STATES to any numbered bank account you choose. Please respond within 5 business days.”

See, when they respond, just make up some bullshit bank surcharge they have to pay. Everybody wins! (Well, except the guy you scam, I guess)

It would also help if you moved to Nairobi.[/quote]
best post in thread

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

It would also help if you moved to Nairobi.[/quote]

do nude modeling at your school for the art kids.

Let the bitches draw you up naked and get like 50$ an hour.

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:

x4
Where have you been beans?

And LOL pimpbot!

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:

x4
Where have you been beans?

And LOL pimpbot![/quote]

Work and being a dad when I’m not at work, lol.