Making Jerky

Alright, here’s the deal. I love me some fucking beef jerky, it’s delicious and good for you; however, it is ridiculously expensive on a college budget. I’ve talked to a couple friends of mine and they have told me you can make your own by just getting something like a roast, marinating it in teriyaki sauce, and then putting it on the oven on broil for the night. I haven’t tried this yet, I figured I would ask to see if anyone else had heard of making jerky this way.

Also, if you have your own way of making jerky, please share.

Finally, please note I am not going out and hunting animals to make this jerky, I don’t have time for that.

id like to know myself too.
jerky is amazing lol

where i live you can go to the meat market and buy a huge piece for 4$ canadian lol. it lasts like a week its so big.

Keep it simple and start like you said with just soy sauce and or Worcestershire and some spices. You can then add from there if you want and even just plain meat a little salt pepper and garlic can be great for jerky maybe a little liquid smoke. You can get creative from there adding cumin, red pepper etc etc. just about any spice can be good to make tons of varoety

use CHEAP cuts of meat that are very lean youll want to put the oven as LOW as it will go less then 200 if possible and slowly dry it out over night or longer

Phill

I love the shit too! I definitely want to try a home cooked version!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31151,00.html?rsrc=search
This is my favorite recipe, I saw it on Good Eats awhile ago and it doesn’t dissapoint.

Heres what i did:

1. Googled jerky
  2. Bought a cheap piece of rump (no point ruining good meat until i get making them down-pat) & some pepper steak seasoning. There is a billion spices & marinades recipes on the net.
  3. Trimmed all fat & cut meat up into even sized pieces against the grain
  4. Rubbed seasoning on meat & left to marinade (min 1. hour)
  5. Put some alfoil on an oven tray & set the heat for about 85 degrees celcius
  6. Get meat out of fridge & place in the oven for 5-8hrs (turning once) - i cooked mine for 6 hours. Be sure to prop the oven door open with a pencil (stops meat from rotting)
  7. Leave to cool
  8. Try not to cosume the whole lot while you place them in an airtight container. They should keep for about 2 weeks in a dark cupboard or you can freeze them etc…

Try other animals, road kill etc. Please note my oven is piss-weak & not fan forced, you will have to experiment with yours to get it right, so start with a cheap piece of meat. Apparently chicken doesnt work well due to its texture, but pork, camel, crocodile & turkey are also popular choices

My grandma makes some savage jerky. She has a mess of little recipes and I love 'em all

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/americanharvest2.html#FD-28JX

Did a quick search. Looks like you can pick up the jerky express dehydrator for about $35. Might be worth it instead of the oven, which probably uses quite a bit more energy.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
95% done[/quote]

Nice work

Damn fine job on that jerkey there Bushi!
Can you come over my house and make a batch for me next?

Seriously, I’ve seen the Alton Brown show on making the jerkey also and he used a box fan fitted with an air filter to dry out the jerkey instead of the oven. That way you could leave it all day or night to dry and not have to worry about it. You might or might not use less energy with the box fan set up, if that matters to you.

Yours looks great! Is the venison next?

Like this

…What man doesn’t want to use bungee cords and air filters while cooking?

kudos to me for starting this bad ass thread.