Making Healthy Bread?

I’ve been working alot on making improvements to my diet, and one of the issues that has come up is healthier bread. I ditched the white sponge stuff, and moved to Orowheat Oatnut, which so far is the healthiest I can find that doesn’t make me grimace while eating it. Yet, the ingredients still leave something to be desired:

Unbleached enriched wheat flour [flour, malted barley flour, reduced iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid], water, oats, brown sugar, hazelnuts, yeast, butter, wheat gluten, nonfat milk, salt, high fructose corn syrup, rolled oats, grain vinegar, soybean oil, sodium stearoyl lactylate, soy lecithin, ascorbic acid.

Especially the multiple kinds of sugar and soy, not to mention all the different chemicals. This got me to thinking, I’ve got a bread machine at home, and while I stopped buying the store made pre-packaged breads due to their poor makeup, it should be possible to make some really healthy bread with total control over the ingredients, and no need for preservatives due to the fact that you can make it at home. Are there any nutrition gurus our there that could put together a good bread recipe?

Wheat, yeast, salt and water=bread. That’s all you need.

I get my bread from a local bakery (via the local hippy grocery store). That’s what it has it in it. And it tastes pretty damn good. Also, amazingly, it doesn’t good bad nearly as quickly as the commercial shit with all the preservatives. Go figure.

Anyway, if you want to make it yourself, that’s all you really need. But baking is a whole art unto itself. So my recommendation is to try to find a local bakery, find out how they make their bread, and then buy from them.

I wind up paying like $1 more a loaf, but it tastes better, its healthier, and it goes to the local economy, so its win-win-win.

[quote]rg73 wrote:
Wheat, yeast, salt and water=bread. That’s all you need.

I get my bread from a local bakery (via the local hippy grocery store). That’s what it has it in it. And it tastes pretty damn good. Also, amazingly, it doesn’t good bad nearly as quickly as the commercial shit with all the preservatives. Go figure.

Anyway, if you want to make it yourself, that’s all you really need. But baking is a whole art unto itself. So my recommendation is to try to find a local bakery, find out how they make their bread, and then buy from them.

I wind up paying like $1 more a loaf, but it tastes better, its healthier, and it goes to the local economy, so its win-win-win. [/quote]

Right, I was under the impression that standard flour was a serious no-no due to how much insulin response it causes. What to use as a replacement product? The baking part is no big deal as I have an automated breadmaker, really cool.