T Nation

Making Gravy Without Flour?

Is there anyway to make tasty country gravy without flour and meat sauce?

Thank you.
WT

Yup get guar and or xantham gum. its pure fiber and will turn anything as thick as you want.

I've never made gravy so I don't know which ingredients would help but in general-the less fattening "gravy" or sauce ingredients are

broth
fat free condensed milk
fat free cheese
wine

I just use what would be called "au jus".

(from Wikipedia:)

"Au jus literally refers to a food served in its natural juices. To prepare natural au jus, the cook may simply skim off the fat from the juices left after cooking and bring the remaining meat stock and water to a boil."

You can also mix corn starch with water to thicken gravy.

Oh come on lexie :slight_smile: you know that corn starch is just as bad or worse than flour just a processed PURE starch might as well eat sugar :slight_smile:

I forgot you can also use egg yolks much like in a bernaise sauce. this takes some practice and LOTS of stirring and low heat and time but GOOD stuff.

Being that you need meat fat sauce in order to make gravy, how on earth do you get enough of this if you plan to eat homemade gravy everyday? Can you buy this stuff at the store?

WT

BUMP

This an adaption from Indian cooking I use sometimes (it takes patience, though): slice a very big onion very thin. Cook the onion on medium heat in olive oil until all the onions are a deep brown color. Not burnt! This takes enormous patience, at least a half and hour, and no, you can't turn up the heat to try to speed the process (that just results in burnt onions). When they're ready add a couple tablespoons of soy sauce and as much pepper as you like. Then add two cups of fat-free chicken stock. The onions will immediately disintergrate into a brown gravy; if it's too thick, add more broth; too thin, let some broth cook out. The thing is, you need to cook the onions in a fair amount of oil (or they burn). If that freaks you out, let the gravy cool and then skim the excess off the top. Tastes better than flour gravy.

Hey,
Try making your own stock from Roasted Veggies for flavor and Lots of Bones...especially Femur bones (get them at your butcher). Bones naturally contain gelatin. After making your stock reduce it by 50% the gelatin contained in the stock will thicken the sauce naturally...or try that thing that Phill said it makes sense...

Here's a great hardy stock recipe that I wrote recently for the cooking deficient.

While I cook through out the week I end up with a tupperware full of scraps. Chicken or Turkey Bones, Onion ends, celery ends, herb stems, mushroom bottoms. Things that most people would throw away. Most of these things can be used to produce a super hearty stock. Usually I save up my Turkey Bones for a few weeks in the freezer.

So.....

Stock 101
Tools & Ingredients:
Large Stock Pot
Roasting Pan
Ladel for skimming
Wire mesh strainer
Containers for Cooling and Storing

Turkey or Chicken Bones (or beef femur bones)

Wholesome Vegetable Trim (any of these)
(leeks, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, turnips, tomatoes, mushrooms)

Aromatics (any of these)
(herb stems, bay leaves, citrus fruits, peppercorns, dried spices)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 400. Toss all bones with olive oil and put into a large roasting pan sprayed with non stick spray. Roast for aprox 45min till they have a nice rich dark color, turning half way through.

2 Pour some water into the roasting pan and scrape off all the brown bits from it. That's the good stuff!

1. Put all vegetable into the stock pot with a touch of olive oil and saute lightly while your bones are roasting.

2. Add all your spices, bay leaves, peppercorns, citrus fruits, and herb stems to the stock pot.

3. Add your roasted bones and liquid from scraping the roasting pan into the stock pot.

4. Fill with cool water to cover all the items in the pot.

5. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer.

6. Simmer lightly for about 3-6 hours (if using beef bones you can simmer up to 10 hours). The fat will seperate from the stock after about 1 hour of simmering. Skim the top with a ladel to get most of the fat out of the stock.

7. Let the stock cool slightly then strain it out into containers. You can add ice at this point to cool it quicker.

This stock can be used for braising meats to make a hearty stew or soup and also to make incredible sauces by reducing and adding your favorite herbs or flavor pastes.

Happy Cooking!
Brindle Pit

I would say flat out no. 'Country' gravy is nothing more that flour, meat juice and water. Anything else is not country gravy.

I think that the other options on the thread are good and I might even use some, but they are never going to be real gravy.