Making Gains as a Runner

Have you done running at your current bodyweight? This is just from my experience, but I wasn’t injured very frequently when I was in the 150lb range despite running between 70-100 miles a week for a few years. When I was 200lbs and running 4 miles a day, it didn’t take very long for me to get injured (achilles tendonitis).

So, just be aware that having put mileage in when at a lighter bw might not carry over to your current plan.

All the running recommendations seem really good on here. I trained for my first marathon last year, from June to September I worked my way up from 25kms to 38kms in my training runs. I would do 2 shorter runs during the week (5-15kms) and one long run (20-38kms) on weekends. Granted gaining pace wasn’t my goal, but my mile time improved regardless.

During this time I was training heavy. I wasn’t following 5-3-1 but I was doing a lot of deadlifting and benching, I even gained some size. My diet was high protein, high carb on training and running days. For this year’s marathon once I start training, I’ll do something along the lines of 5-3-1, because I want to gain strength rather than size. I’m 6’1 and about 200lbs.

The3Commandments has a very good point about injuries. When I was about 180lbs I had no issues, but with a bit more size, I got pattella tendonitis. The issue was that my quads and glutes were too weak. Focus on making those strong, especially your glutes play a massive part. I have no knee issues anymore and finished the marathon with no pain in my knees.

I know I didn’t provide a very detailed training plan or anything here, but just my experience, I guess to say that you can train for run and gain or at least maintain size. It’s not ideal, but it can be done. Best of luck!

you should never have to run more than a mile and a half and you’d probably be better off with just running a mile 3 times a week.

sprints at different intervals

for instance running quater miles one day

half miles another day

full mile or mile and a half the last.

running anymore than a mile or a mile and a half is pointless

^ No offense, but do you have any racing background? I don’t give people advice on this forum about their lifting splits because I’m not experienced enough to do so. I’ll give advice on running because I’ve put in the years to know what’s manageable and what’s not. Not saying you don’t know what you’re talking about, but that’s really bad advice for someone needing to run a race under a certain time.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
you should never have to run more than a mile and a half and you’d probably be better off with just running a mile 3 times a week.

sprints at different intervals

for instance running quater miles one day

half miles another day

full mile or mile and a half the last.

running anymore than a mile or a mile and a half is pointless[/quote]

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

Running more the 1.5 miles is not pointless. If he wants to concentrate on 1.5, the most he should run would be 3 miles (that would be an ez run). The reason for this is to build up endurance. Build the mileage, so to speak.

KTM, try that for a month.

Let us know how it went. I would be very interested to know how you did.

Cheers

I’ll stick to what I outlined above for now, and repost after 4 weeks. I ran my 3x800 this afternoon, and I don’t know if was the fact I’ve been squatting/not running for a month, or if its because I’m a lot heavier than usual… but DAMN that was hard as hell.

3:03 3:04 3:24. I thought I’d have no problem holding 3:00 each time.

Also, what should I be doing for progression on the sprints?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I didn’t expect this thread to go as long as it did and I feel confident that we’ve put together a good combination program here. I’ll keep y’all posted.

By those numbers, you dont have enough endurance.

Drop an interval and take a tempo (the one I described). Start at a pace of 7. Don’t worry, lots of time to drop to 6 in 7 months. If you shave 5 seconds a week on your pace, you will reach your goal with no problems.

Also, make sure you start a little light for the 5/3/1. Example, if your 1rm is 250, drop down to 225. Don’t worry, you have 7 months. Since you have put on weight and haven’t run in a while, you might want to one it down a bit. Better to reach your goal then to get injured.

I’ve done a lot of 5k races. People blow of the start, but by km 3, I pass them easily as they have nothing left. Don’t be that guy. Train smart.

No racing back ground.

but I’m in the army.

and I’ve come to the conclusion that running any more than 2 miles is a complete waste of energy and resources. every time a PT test is coming up a couple months out i start running sprints for no more than 2 miles and I significantly drop my run time.

No i never run the two mile very fast. But considering that between every pt test i allow myself to get out of shape that 2-3 months out i have to drop about 3-4 minutes to pass. Which reminds me. I need to start running today.

just my opinion i’ve never been an efficient runner anyways so take it for what it’s worth (not much)

I’m curious what the more experianced runners have to say about this:

[quote]KTM wrote:

I think I may have been unclear on what I meant when I typed “tempo run”. I should have probably said recovery run. Those runs are actually really called “critical threshold” or CT runs. Basically, you’re supposed to be running at your aerobic limit, just before you cross over to anaerobic. This is to allow you to recover (because it’s not anaerobic) while still training your heart/endurance (upper limit of aerobic). It’s your maximum mile pace +45 seconds for whatever distance. It’s not a very difficult type of running. Anyways, given the new input I’ve received, here’s what I’ve got in mind. I’ll test my 1.5 mile once/month and if my times aren’t dropping, I’ll just add some mileage from there.[/quote]

best mile time + :45 for 3 miles does not seem like an easy recovery run to me. It has been quite some time since I have done any distance running though.

[quote]KTM wrote:
I’ll stick to what I outlined above for now, and repost after 4 weeks. I ran my 3x800 this afternoon, and I don’t know if was the fact I’ve been squatting/not running for a month, or if its because I’m a lot heavier than usual… but DAMN that was hard as hell.

3:03 3:04 3:24. I thought I’d have no problem holding 3:00 each time.

Also, what should I be doing for progression on the sprints?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I didn’t expect this thread to go as long as it did and I feel confident that we’ve put together a good combination program here. I’ll keep y’all posted.[/quote]

Have you ever broken 6:00 min for a mile?

I’ve run two miles in 10:40, and 10miles in 65 minutes on a tempo run.

I don’t run at all now though! lol

[quote]jsneves wrote:
I’m curious what the more experianced runners have to say about this:

[quote]KTM wrote:

I think I may have been unclear on what I meant when I typed “tempo run”. I should have probably said recovery run. Those runs are actually really called “critical threshold” or CT runs. Basically, you’re supposed to be running at your aerobic limit, just before you cross over to anaerobic.

This is to allow you to recover (because it’s not anaerobic) while still training your heart/endurance (upper limit of aerobic). It’s your maximum mile pace +45 seconds for whatever distance. It’s not a very difficult type of running. Anyways, given the new input I’ve received, here’s what I’ve got in mind. I’ll test my 1.5 mile once/month and if my times aren’t dropping, I’ll just add some mileage from there.[/quote]

best mile time + :45 for 3 miles does not seem like an easy recovery run to me. It has been quite some time since I have done any distance running though.[/quote]

:45 is entirely reasonable for a recovery run. It’s a lot more than you’d think.

Just as an example, when I was marathon training, my ez-runs would be in the 7:30 range, and race pace for me was about 6:55 (i.e. just under 7 minutes/mile).

OP, I would listen to what captainoblivious has to say. A 65min 10 mile tempo and getting close to sub-10:30 for 2 is pretty legit.

You add :45 seconds for each mile jsneves, you’re adding :45 to your PACE. For a 3 miler you’d add a total of 2:15 to your best 3-mile time.

I’ve broken 6:00, back when I was running 40+ miles a week and weighed maybe 175-ish. I ran the first half of a 3-miler in sub 9:00, but ran the 2nd 1.5 miles in about 10:00. I do have a PT test coming up in 3 weeks, so I think I’m going to keep both interval days and have 2 CT runs for a total of 9 miles of running/week. After that I’ll ease back on the running and just measure my progress so that I hit my sub-9 goal within my 7 month window (my next PT test).

JFG I think that’s good advice about being conservative about the 5/3/1. For now I’m going to stick with the “shut up and train” program because I’m half way through one of the “cycles”, after this cycle, I’m going to take a week off and do my 1RMs, take that PT test, and start fresh on 5/3/1