T Nation

Making Eggs In the Microwave

Anyone done it before?

Yes, as a college student it's my only option. I have a tray i suppose to call it that fits two eggs at a time and cooks them fairly well. Doesn't taste as good but gets the job done if you are without other means or just lazy. It looks like this, and turns out it's called a poacher.
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cookware-All-NORDIC_WARE_2-Cup_Microwave_Egg_Poacher

Yes and it stinks to high hell.

I make scrambled eggs in a pyrex container covered with plastic wrap, 45 sec per whole egg. The time may differ depending upon your microwave and how many whole eggs and how many whites you use.

You can also make a sunny side up egg of sorts by cracking an egg into water (it will sink) and then cooking it in the microwave. I'm not sure how long this takes as I have not done it for a while because I don't care for the texture that results.

You can poach an egg in the micro quickly. Get a bowl (a soup bowl) and half fill it with water, crack the egg into the water and cover top with saucer.

Nuke it for about 1 min at 750. Sometimes it goes wrong and the egg explodes and takes ages to clean.

Microwaves are pretty handy devices, I'd dried clothes in them before to save time.

Yeah the white kinds shrinks away compared to poaching in a pan. But do it five or six times and you have a decent snack. (5 or 6 eggs I mean)

Just to support the "float it in water" suggestions, I saw this on the food channel yesterday. Eggs Benedict...IN THE MICROWAVE. This looked so good I craved it. Recipe from the Food channel website.

2 large eggs
4 strips bacon
1 package microwave cornbread
4 slices American cheese
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1 teaspoon mustard
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Chives, chopped, for garnish

Fill a 1-quart microwave safe bowl 1/2 full with water. Crack the eggs into it and poke a hole in the yolks with a skewer or toothpick. Microwave on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are still soft. Remove from the oven and set aside.

Put 2 layers of paper towels onto a microwave safe plate and place the bacon strips on top. Microwave on high power for about 3 minutes, or until crisp. Set aside.

Mix the microwave cornbread according to package directions. Cook 2 English muffin size portions using a microwave safe cup according to package directions. Remove from the cup and put onto plates.

Tear the cheese into pieces and put them into a small microwave safe bowl. Add the milk, hot sauce, and mustard and season with salt and pepper. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring half way through, or until the cheese is melted and smooth.

To assemble, top each cornbread muffin with 2 slices of bacon. Put a poached egg on top of each and cover each with half the cheese sauce. Garnish with chives and serve.

i did it this morning, whites only, pretty nasty...doubt ill do it again...

Eggs are one of the fastest cooking foods I can imagine. Probably why they're the perennial breakfast item, in addition to fast digestion.

Cooks in a pan in just a matter of a couple minutes. Try it some time, seriously.

I have something similar, but it's in the shape of an omelet (easy to add peppers, ham, etc). It's decent enough in a hurry.

I think it was like 7 bucks at Target.

If you do I highly recommend something like this, cause as someone else posted they will explode and make a hell of a mess. Definitely if you have access to stove top just scramble them or cook up an omlette, as it takes almost the same amount of time, and then you can add smoked chicken or ham for added protein and as it is already cooked you're good to go, just heat and serve.

I did it one time, and probably won't again. I spritzed a regular bowl with some cooking spray, tossed in 2 whole eggs (after stabbing the yolks), and a few dashes of tabasco, and nuked it for about 45 seconds, could've been longer. It came out in something resembling the preformed eggs you get on McMuffin's. Kinda rubbery with an almost crispy skin. Plus, the it was tough getting the remnants of cooked egg off the bowl.

Only way I make my eggs. Pam the tupperware so it doesn't stick. Usually 9 whites + 3 whole and scramble. I've been doing it this way so long can't really taste the difference. Whats funny is I use the same amount of eggs and the same time intervals but sometimes they blow and sometimes they don't.

My gf had an egg blow up in her face when she tried cooking it in a microwave.

If you don't have the 3 minutes it takes to cook eggs on the stove then I think you may want to look into managing your time a little better in the morning.

Seriously though, don't get in the habit of microwaving eggs. Learn the art of cooking a good breakfast.

It's the only option for some college students, we're not allowed to cook in our dorms here.

Not just because they say we can't but because of the shitty wiring, the fire alarm WOULD go off. And it often does.

I make egg beaters in the microwave all the time. Make it with olive oil. It tastes almost the same, and I've never noticed any stink. The taste of real eggs suffers.

Well, not everyone has a stove. People are rushed in the morining. CLeaning up from eggs can be annoying. Cleaning up from microwaved eggs is non-existent. There are many reasons why someone might want to use a microwave.

I do make them on the stove as of now, with frozen peppers, onions, and ham. Next year in college though, I'll be shit outta luck with a stove in my dorm. Hence the microwave question.

Its the only way I will do scrambled eggs. And the funny thing is, no one can tell the difference when I make it. The clean up is much easier, soak in cold water one bowl. Easy.

The secret to cooking scrambled eggs in the microwave is to heat for a minute, and then rescramble because it only cooks the outside edge first. Keep repeating and avoid over cooking. Towards the end, you may only want to cook for 20 seconds or so at a time. This has worked for me for years.