Making Atlas Stones (Cheaper Inserts)

Up to this point all of the atlas stones I’ve made have either been solid concrete or had a foam insert (which runs me like $20). I know slater’s hardware sells lead inserts however they’re pretty expensive. Anyone have any bright ideas for a good substitution?

Use old weights your not using anymore that’s what we did our 505 stone has 3 rusted up 45s in it I believe.

sweet idea, how did you make the moulds?

I can’t speak for Reed, but what I did was find a dollar store inflatable ball of the right size, half bury it in sand, cut a hole in the top and fill it up. You end up with a rough spot where you feed the concrete in, and it won’t be as perfectly round as the store bought molds, but it is really cheap.

The molds can be bought from Slater Hardware if you want nice, round ones, but it is $220 for a 24" one. Rogue Fitness carries their’s and the Hybrid ones.

[quote]corrmhona wrote:
I can’t speak for Reed, but what I did was find a dollar store inflatable ball of the right size, half bury it in sand, cut a hole in the top and fill it up. You end up with a rough spot where you feed the concrete in, and it won’t be as perfectly round as the store bought molds, but it is really cheap.

The molds can be bought from Slater Hardware if you want nice, round ones, but it is $220 for a 24" one. Rogue Fitness carries their’s and the Hybrid ones.
[/quote]

If you know anyone that works interior concrete you can get a hold of a polisher for a case of beer and clean off the rough spots in the hobo balls in an afternoon. The problem I had with them is that they tend to sag under their own weight if you don’t support the concrete with enough sand, or you don’t contain the sand properly. Store bought molds aren’t as fussy and come with directions.