Making a Box Squat Box?

I am going with box squats for my first 3 weeks of WS4SB.

I do not have a box and am too short to use my adjustable bench. I tried using my bench but end up at around 2" above parrallel.

I do not have the money to buy one but have the supplies to make one.

Anyone have a link on how to mkae one? I was going to just make a 15" box but thought it would be best to see if there was anything more to it than that.

Thanks

That is all there is to it. I used 3/4 plywood and drywall screws and made a box that wasn’t square. It was rectangular (slightly) so that on one side it was around 14" (about parallel), flip it for about 17" (high box) and another flip made it around 11" (low box). Those heights are from memory. I mainly use the about 14" side.

Nope, just make a box. You could google it and are bound to come up with something though. My old high school weightroom had several different heights made out of plywood and some 2x4. They were a trapezoidal shape (pyramid with the top cut off).

You can always stack bumper plates. Stacking up normal plates takes too much time.

#1 not the end of the world if you are two inches above parallel. For cheap I know a lot of guys go to home depot and get those 5 gallon buckets.

[quote]sapasion wrote:
#1 not the end of the world if you are two inches above parallel. For cheap I know a lot of guys go to home depot and get those 5 gallon buckets.[/quote]

WAY to high. OP I would just buy some wood and build a box, it won’t be that hard.

Depending what you’re training for(like your VJ) 2 inches above could even be preferable for the carry over, of course if you’re trying to get transference to your actual full squat number than ya I’d go build a lower box.

I just made one a couple of weeks ago, so it’s still fresh in my mind. You can follow the directions from the following web site, but don’t use the pressure treated wood - way too heavy.

You can scale down the dimensions a bit if you don’t want a 24" square box. Hope this helps.

I tried making one with the wood I have but the 4x4’s are too old and one split haha so I have to buy some stuff. I thought I could make one for free but oh well.

I will make one like the previous poster made.

Thanks

I am also going to make a GHR. and possible a lat tower and weight tree with some friends that are expcerianced welders.

I am going to need a bigger place to lift ha

What you might consider is making several small sized boxes or blocks that can stack. If you make 5 boxes sized 1", 2", 3", 4" and 8" you would have the ability to create any height between 1" and 18" in 1 inch increments. The boxes can be used for much more than box squats. You could use them for deficit deadlifts, stepups, calf raises, depth jumps, pulls from blocks, etc.

Also, a simple way to create these it to use 2x4’s with a plywood top. I like an 18" square size. You can simply cut a bunch of 2x4 into 18" long pieces and use 3 per level and stack the next level at a 90 degree angle. Use screws to connect them and top it off with a plywood top and a thin rubber surface to prevent then from sliding.

Getting the plywood cut to size may be the most difficult thing if you don’t have the tools however the big Home Supplies stores can usually cut them for you for a small fee.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I am also going to make a GHR. and possible a lat tower and weight tree with some friends that are expcerianced welders.

I am going to need a bigger place to lift ha[/quote]

I am working on making my own GHR, too. I don’t have the money for steel or powder coating right now, so it will be mostly out of 2x4’s. When I build a decent one with steel, I will reuse all of the pads, as it looks like they will be the most expensive part. Besides that, it is looking like it will only cost $10-$15 in lumber.

Having said all that, I haven’t been able to find a pad or upholsterer that can make the thigh pad for me, and I am not exactly a seamstress. What is your plan for this?

I made my own GHR too but started off with one of those yukon benches as seen here:

http://www.yukon-fitness.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=yukon/PROD/BNCH/HYP-156

The pad is way too soft. What I did was to take off the pad and keep the bottom piece of wood (basically a rectangle piece of wood). I then bought 2 circular pieces of wood from home depot (when i bought it, it was the only circle piece they had. about 18" diameter). I then cut that in half so I had 4- 9" half circles. I then attached them to the rectangle bottom. (looked like a half barrel). I then bought a bunch of slats and screwed them along the half circles (really looked like a barrel then).

I went to a fabric store and bought some vinyl upholstery material and they also had a foam pad. I held the pad on the slats while I stapled (with staple gun, not desktop stapler) the vinyl over the pad. I then reattached the new pad to the old frame. Over time I also had the frame reinforced and the toe plates lengthened. It feels just like an elite GHR I have been on after doing all this.

If this doesn’t make sense, let me know and I’ll try to come up with a picture.

I have alot of tools and saws but I do not have the experiance or knowledge.

I am going to make a GHR like the one in this post - http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1132144&pageNo=2

I am going to use the pads from an old multi-station home gym that is just taking up space.

Along with all these things I am going build I am pretty sure I can get a big tire for free from a local business. I also plan on making a sled and something for farmers walks.

I used an old wheel and put some boards on it then plates on the boards to make up the height I want.