Makeover Help Plz.

call me gay if you want… or call it an awareness associated with growing up or out of a phase, but:

i’m switching to a more ‘manly’ makeover deal. all this time, i’ve been the college kid concerned about nothing other than straggling along through life.

granted, I’m not a ‘man’ all of a sudden just because I change what i wear in my hair and what i use on my body, but i think we can all agree to some extent that ‘first impressions’ can’t be made a 2nd time…
so, i’m thinking of a ‘makeover’ to at least generate a more ‘formal’ disposition to the general populace (specially since i’ll be going into business)…

so, what do you business related dogs use for the more formal meets? i’ve been looking through amazon, and after a while, i lost track of the gender and/or purpose of the product concerned… there’s so many brands!!

what would be the standalone brand you’d refer a confused friend about unleashing that whole formal, ‘masculine’ deal?

[quote]burning ice wrote:
(specially since i’ll be going into business)…

so, what do you business related dogs use for the more formal meets?

[/quote]

Good grammar and a solid grasp of the english language.

No one in business gives a flying fuck what product you have in your hair, but turn up to a ‘meet’ and call people dogs and your first impression is totally screwed.

I bet you will never have a colleague or business associate laugh because you use the ‘cheap’ brand of hair product. You will never be refused entry to a conference because you used a shampoo for oily hair when you actually use dry hair.

People will notice how you walk, how you shake their hand, how you make eye contact, how you can hold a conversation and the general way in which you carry yourself. To a certain extent they will even notice your clothing (just dont wear somthing obviously cheap) but no one cares what fucking soap you used to clean your arm pits with

[quote]Helga wrote:
burning ice wrote:
(specially since i’ll be going into business)…

so, what do you business related dogs use for the more formal meets?

Good grammar and a solid grasp of the english language.

No one in business gives a flying fuck what product you have in your hair, but turn up to a ‘meet’ and call people dogs and your first impression is totally screwed.

[/quote]

i appreciate your input, and i hope the good grammar and solid blah blah was a feeble attempt at some semblance of sarcasm. i’m more than aware of how to behave in business meetings, and i know exactly what to do to get my first impression totally screwed…

i did wish to know what the better products in the male grooming category of the market were available and preferred, but never mind.

Kiehls
Anthony for Men
The Art of Shaving…

Just go to a higher up dept. store (nordstroms, neiman marcus) and poke around. But yea it doesn’t really matter unless you will be showering/ getting ready with the people you intend to be in business with. Unless your goal is to be able to slip into conversation that you spent $35 on face wash or shaving cream to demonstrate you are knowledgeable/enjoy the “finer” things in life.

you will get a lot more help on male grooming stuff on the site above

T-nationers are more about a plaid shirts and coal tar soap :wink:

Verse up on investment advice! Let your superiors know hot stock tips and where to move corporate investments.

Refer to the ongoing situation in Iraq as a good time to “invest in nuclear bombz and shit.”

It’s better to dress a little boring than to dress too trendy. Trends come and go, boring is timeless.

It is better to have 1 really good suit than a few bad ones. Even better to have 2 good suits that will swap pants and jackets to give you a different look. The lapel and number of buttons depend on your body type. Make sure the pants don’t have pleats. Turn-ups (pant cuffs) depend on height.

Change the look everyday with ties and shirts. The shirt collar and tie knot depends of your face.

Polish your shoes everynight.

If you go to a good suit shop, they will be able to tell you everything you need. I find with suits, the older the tailor, the better.

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
It’s better to dress a little boring than to dress too trendy. Trends come and go, boring is timeless.

It is better to have 1 really good suit than a few bad ones. Even better to have 2 good suits that will swap pants and jackets to give you a different look. The lapel and number of buttons depend on your body type. Make sure the pants don’t have pleats. Turn-ups (pant cuffs) depend on height.

Change the look everyday with ties and shirts. The shirt collar and tie knot depends of your face.

If you go to a good suit shop, they will be able to tell you everything you need. I find with suits, the older the tailor, the better.[/quote]

I agree with everything you said except for pants with no pleats. If you have skinnier legs, then get pants with no pleats. If you have bigger legs, then you definitely want pleated pants for the extra space.

If a guy with bigger legs wears flat-front pants, it is too slim on the thighs, and if a guy with smaller legs wears pants with pleats, they look like zoot suit pants, and are puffing out at the thighs.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
sugarfree wrote:

If you go to a good suit shop, they will be able to tell you everything you need. I find with suits, the older the tailor, the better.

I agree with everything you said except for pants with no pleats. If you have skinnier legs, then get pants with no pleats. If you have bigger legs, then you definitely want pleated pants for the extra space.

If a guy with bigger legs wears flat-front pants, it is too slim on the thighs, and if a guy with smaller legs wears pants with pleats, they look like zoot suit pants, and are puffing out at the thighs.[/quote]

i agree with your rules about the pleats. theres also an “in-between” pleat. most pants will either be flat front or pleated with 2-3 pleats (i cant remember if its 2 or 3, though my suits and most of the slacks in my closet are pleated as i fall into the bigger legs category)…but anyway, the in-between pleat looks pretty sharp. i think its just one pleat- gives the look of a flat front, with some extra room also.

-----for grooming products, i totally agree with the Anthony for Men line, i dont use it exclusively, but often enough. the shaving cream is really nice, and theres a few different scrubs, ive used a blue and an orange, they are meant for different times in the process, its a good system.

as far as hair products, id say do your best to get away from gels. gels can flake out and make you look like youve got crazy dandruff. if you want better hair products, stop buying them in walmart- buy them at a salon. personally, i have really thick hair, with a bit of curl in it. my hair pretty much does what it wants. although, my hair looks much better when i am using the better stuff that you usually can only find at salons.
-a good way to go is to start getting your hair cut at a salon. stop going to the hair cuttery in the mall or whatever, and go to a more up-scale salon. youll pay more for the haircut, but itll be a better cut. its also nice when they offer you a drink and such when you arrive. while youre there, inquire about hair-care products. your “stylist” should recommend something decent. usually if i even care to get something, its 18-20 bucks, and itll last like two-three months. some days i get out the door with a hat on and therefore dont use the stuff, but my point is that the stuff is well worth the money. and if you go to one stylist regularly, theyll keep you updated on new products and such. yea, youre paying more for the cut and the products, but in most cases, the services are better, and the products definitely are.