2 Level scoops of chocolate soy or whey-based protein powder
1 Tablespoon of natural peanut butter
1/4 Cup steel cut oatmeal*
4 Egg whites
1/4 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the egg whites and uncooked oatmeal. Add the remaining ingredients.
Spray a nonstick cooking spray in an 8"x8" baking dish. Spread the mixture in an even layer, over the bottom of the dish. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the edge starts to pull away from the sides of the dish.

Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into bars.

Makes 9 bars.

Nutritional information-
Calories- 251
Protein- 34g
Fat- 7g
Carbohydrates- 13g

I may try this sometime, but I think I am missing something. Each bar is supposed to have 34g of protien. 9 bars X 34g = 306g of total protien. According to the recipe 2 level scoops of protien (50g) and 4 egg whites (3.5x4=14). that means the whole recipe only has 64g of protien.

There’s protein in oatmeal and peanut butter

But oatmeal only has 5g protein per half cup, and natty PB has 9g per 2TBSP …

I think the nutrition facts are indeed messed up.

Yeah, those numbers are off. That will make about two bars. For the amount of ingredients listed, I come up with a total of:

68g Protein
31.5g Carbs (that’s based on sweetened applesauce)
13.3g Fat
555 Calories

If this equation gets fixed i’ll try it.

Yeah, you guys are right, the numbers are off, I didn’t even look before I posted.

Anyway, check Phatman’s recipes here. Looks like good stuff.

yups i agree the nutrient values stated are off. I posted it anyway cos it looked simple and managable a recipe for “kitchen-newbies” like me :slight_smile:

Brent thanks for posting that link to Phatman’s thread. they look great!

Anyway, do any of you know how to adjust the ingredients such that the bars would contain more protein and not too much carbs without becoming some sort of taste disaster?? ( like the eas myoplex lite bar…it tasted SO bad i couldn’t finish it. banana-flavored taffy with brine kneaded in then run over by a garbage truck would taste better)

I found more bar recipes at

Heating will denature the protein powder.

At what temp does protien powder denature?

Not trying to be a smartass, but why doesn’t protien from meat denature after cooking it? I am sure part of it does; does anyone know the percentages?

Denaturing isn’t really much of a concern. It affects absorption time, and you may lose some of whey’s interesting immune benefits, but it’s still 25 grams of protein that will be fully absorbed by your body.

After you make the bars and finish eating them, run off to the store and buy yourself a bra and some nice pumps. You’ll be needing them when all that soy hits your system. Christ, are you guys serious?

CGB

I think anyone who reads T-mag knows not to use Soy protein, I think he just copied and pasted the recipe from the other site. Notice how it says or whey instead of the soy.

yup thanks Brent.
I did copy and paste it over from some website. the address of the website is in the original post.

anyway, a friend of mine tried it…it sucks big time. so don’t bother with it…sorry!

hey CGB, i already wear bras and pumps when i’m not in sneakers so i’m not too worried about that. it’s sad…but i was born that way :wink: its in my genes…i’m female. :slight_smile:

Hey Feanor

Give those PB protein bars a try in my first thread. I am still addicted to them. It’s like cheating but it isn’t!!

BTW, to funnny , good reply on the sneakers and bra answer :slight_smile:

thanks phatman!
I"ll be trying the peanut butter recipe tommrow morning :slight_smile: would’ve tried it tonight but i’m out of lowfat milk powder…

be moving my belongings out from dorm back home … then unpacking… those protein bars will come in handy :slight_smile:

I wasn’t trying to be a jerk with my comments, but anytime I see soy protein mentioned, I get this tingling in my spine, followed by a cold sweat and a nervous twitch. I did see that it said soy OR whey, so I hope we’d all use whey. With that in mind, I’m sure the bars would be great. Heck, even with soy I’m sure they’d still be better for you than Detour bars :wink:

What if you are allergic to peanuts?:frowning:

Phatman,
Those protein bars with the oatmeal are great. They could be a little more moist but other than that, I LIKE! I am going to try the chocolate peanut butter bars another day. Thanks!

Anybody tried this with any flavor other than chocolate? At the moment I’ve got Strawberry, Vanilla and Bannana but no chocolate and I ain’t buyin no more till this is used up.