T Nation

Majority of Protein from Whey?

I have started lifting and dieting over the last few weeks and I have a concern about nutrition, mainly my worries about high protein intake or more specifically high meat and seafood intake.

My family seems to be extremely pre-disposed to gout, I have very fit lean and young family members who have had to give up meat and beer because of constant gout attacks, both grandfathers on both sides had bad gout and my father did too.

Since upping my protein I have stuck to low purine meats like Chicken and watched my sugar but I am having slight flare ups even then. I saw on a gout forum a bodybuilder who gets the majority of his protein from a very good Whey Isolate, which is 97% protein. I am thinking of doing the same thing.

How would this affect me? I don't see how it could realistically be any less effective than eating lots of chicken and beef or sea food. I am going to eat a very moderate amount of meat and fish to get the omega 3 and fatty acids along with supplementing with fish oil etc. I will also be eating nuts, cheese

Any thoughts?

it’s no different to eating meat. If you want to get all your protein from shakes, then do so. I’d still include a bit of meat every day though for the sake of the nutrients it provides

Why not use vegan sources?

Beans, lentils, chia seeds, hemp seeds etc

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

I thought about it but I am currently losing bodyfat and focusing on getting leaner and whey isolate offers (the one I bought is 97% protein) a high amount of protein with almost zero fat and carbs, which means I can maintain a deficit while getting enough protein. Beans and what not are much more calorie dense.

Getting my protein from a good whey isolate means I can then use the rest of my calories on other food, where as when I tried the whole brown rice, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds route I wasn’t getting to eat much on my calorie amount for the day.

Also I buy unflavoured bulk isolate which works out incredibly cheap.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

because most of them are loaded with anti nutrients? Or have never and should never be a staple of a human diet?