T Nation

Major Problem with Deadlift Suit

Alright, so I’ve got a comp coming up in a few weeks, and I’m having serious problems with my deadlift suit. I use the Inzer Max DL Suit, single ply (I compete in USAPL).

I’ve put up some big numbers in the past with and without a suit prior to back surgery a few years ago. Well, long story short, I’m pulling less now in a suit then I do now raw. When I put on the suit, it rides up my groin area and makes it difficult for me to even get down to the bar.

I pull conventional stance, and I should be hitting 500 lbs at the very least in the suit, but I’m struggling to get even 450 off the floor. What gives?

It’s the same size as my squat suit (Inzer Harcore) and that suit fits perfectly. I really need some help figuring this out.

Thanks…

[quote]OneDay wrote:
I pull conventional stance, and I should be hitting 500 lbs at the very least in the suit, but I’m struggling to get even 450 off the floor. What gives?

[/quote]

First, when it comes to gear, never say “I SHOULD be hitting …”.
It just doesn’t work like that. I don’t know what your raw pull is, but don’t expect much of a carryover in the DL, especially if you don’t take advantage of the gear.

A conventional suit will basically smash your balls and really ride up which makes it uncomfortable and hard to get down to the bar. It is supposed to hurt like a motherfucker. It sounds like this is the issue for you, but this means the suit probably fits you. Here’s something to see if the suit fits about right. With the suit on and straps up, bend over(don’t squat down to grab bar) and try to reach the bar. If you can get around 6 inches away with one hand before it really starts smashing your junk, the suit fits about right.

So i recommend working on setting up with the suit for the next few weeks on days that you are gonna pull. You don’t need to pull heavy in it cuz you’re close to a meet, but just doing some sets with like 3 plates should get you used to the suit.

I will say this and its real important. If the suit is so tight on you that you cannot setup well, then do not wear it in the meet. No point in wearing gear if you get no carryover from it. Many big guys wind up pulling better without a DL suit because they can get in a better starting position without one.

Thanks for the reply Vandalay…Well, first off, before back surgery, I was pulling 585 lbs. That was 4 years ago, in a squat suit. Now, I could go into the gym right now and pull 500 lbs with a belt and wraps. But, like I said, I now have the Inzer Max DL suit, so one would naturally think I’d be pulling more suited then raw, right? I realize it’s different for everybody, but I’ve always had great carryover in equipment, and I would’ve assumed that would be the case in this new suit.

I’m almost 100% positive it fits right, and it does ride up my balls and hurt like a motherfucker, as you perfectly described. The problem really is getting down to the bar. It restricts my range of motionso much that I can’t even get down to get setup to pull.

I’m not really sure what to do. Like I said, I compete USAPL, so I’m not sure if they’ll let me use a squat suit, a bench shirt, and then pull raw.

This is my first comp since not only back surgery, but wrist surgery as well, so I’m not looking to set any records, just to put some numbers up on the board.

Any more advice?

Thanks…

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
OneDay wrote:
I pull conventional stance, and I should be hitting 500 lbs at the very least in the suit, but I’m struggling to get even 450 off the floor. What gives?

First, when it comes to gear, never say “I SHOULD be hitting …”.
It just doesn’t work like that. I don’t know what your raw pull is, but don’t expect much of a carryover in the DL, especially if you don’t take advantage of the gear.

A conventional suit will basically smash your balls and really ride up which makes it uncomfortable and hard to get down to the bar. It is supposed to hurt like a motherfucker. It sounds like this is the issue for you, but this means the suit probably fits you. Here’s something to see if the suit fits about right. With the suit on and straps up, bend over(don’t squat down to grab bar) and try to reach the bar. If you can get around 6 inches away with one hand before it really starts smashing your junk, the suit fits about right.

So i recommend working on setting up with the suit for the next few weeks on days that you are gonna pull. You don’t need to pull heavy in it cuz you’re close to a meet, but just doing some sets with like 3 plates should get you used to the suit.

I will say this and its real important. If the suit is so tight on you that you cannot setup well, then do not wear it in the meet. No point in wearing gear if you get no carryover from it. Many big guys wind up pulling better without a DL suit because they can get in a better starting position without one. [/quote]

i agree with vandalay. the one thing i will add is that you just need to practice more in it. its like a bench shirt in the way that you have to find the right groove with regard to setting up at the bar. if you can find that sweet spot then you’re good to go, if not, you’re better off pulling without it.

Keep in mind that even the most experinced lifters only squeeze 50 to 70 pounds out the suit so if the difference between you bombing or staying in the meet is a measly 10 pounds or so of carryover i would just pull with a belt.

I’m definitely gonna be spending a lot of time pulling submax in the suit until the comp trying to, like you said, find the right groove.

I’ve never competed with USAPL before, so I’m not sure if they will let me pull raw after having used a squat suit and bench shirt. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get the feel for the suit soon.

Thanks for the replies…

[quote]robo1 wrote:
i agree with vandalay. the one thing i will add is that you just need to practice more in it. its like a bench shirt in the way that you have to find the right groove with regard to setting up at the bar. if you can find that sweet spot then you’re good to go, if not, you’re better off pulling without it.

Keep in mind that even the most experinced lifters only squeeze 50 to 70 pounds out the suit so if the difference between you bombing or staying in the meet is a measly 10 pounds or so of carryover i would just pull with a belt.[/quote]

I am not a USAPL guy, but I can’t imagine they’d care whether you pull raw or not.

it doesn’t matter. if you registered as a geared lifter you can still do attempts raw. a lot of guys squat and bench with gear then do ther deads with just a belt

That’s what I was thinking, but as this is my first comp with USAPL, I’m still a little concerned.

I last lifted with APA, and they were pretty lax on what equipment you used. I guess I was spoiled…

[quote]mattwray wrote:
I am not a USAPL guy, but I can’t imagine they’d care whether you pull raw or not.[/quote]

I’m gonna give it a few more workouts and if the suit still doesn’t feel right, I guess I’ll just pull in my singlet, belt, etc. at the comp…

Thanks for all the help folks…

Just because it’s an equipped meet doesn’t mean you have to wear any gear at all…

The reason you are pulling less is b/c the suit is making you pull differently than you do RAW. It really is that simple.

Couple things. The fact it is hard to get to the bar is good. Now you just have to learn to hold body position in the suit which takes practice.

One of the things a tight suit can cause a lifter to do who is not comfortable with it is rto each for the bar as opposed to letting their body address the bar the way they normally do. Don’t know if this makes sense or not but what this can result in is the shoulders slipping forward in the straps (the center seam moving back) which is never a good thing because now you are having to fight the suit to get into a good position.

Make sure the seam of the shoulder straps are as far forward on your traps as possible. When your straps are being set roll your shoulders back to accomplish this. This should help lock your shoulders into place. You may also want to pull the legs up some on the outside initially as this will provide additional slack in the straps although I would recommend just practicing in the suit and learning to find the best position and you should be able to tolerat the suit with it set up to provide the most resistance.

I’ve definitely been trying to address the bar the same way I always do, but due to the tightness of the suit in my groin area, I can’t get down there. The straps don’t seem to shift, which is good, it’s just so tight around my inner thigh area that I can’t get a good setup. THe only thing I can do is start the pull high as hell and use my surgically repaired and beaten to shit low back to muscle it up as opposed to using my legs and really getting good leg drive as I usually do raw.

Like I said, I’ve got a few more workouts to try and get used to the suit and if not, I’ll just pull raw at the comp.

THanks for the help…

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
The reason you are pulling less is b/c the suit is making you pull differently than you do RAW. It really is that simple.

Couple things. The fact it is hard to get to the bar is good. Now you just have to learn to hold body position in the suit which takes practice.

One of the things a tight suit can cause a lifter to do who is not comfortable with it is rto each for the bar as opposed to letting their body address the bar the way they normally do. Don’t know if this makes sense or not but what this can result in is the shoulders slipping forward in the straps (the center seam moving back) which is never a good thing because now you are having to fight the suit to get into a good position.

Make sure the seam of the shoulder straps are as far forward on your traps as possible. When your straps are being set roll your shoulders back to accomplish this. This should help lock your shoulders into place. You may also want to pull the legs up some on the outside initially as this will provide additional slack in the straps although I would recommend just practicing in the suit and learning to find the best position and you should be able to tolerat the suit with it set up to provide the most resistance.[/quote]

[quote]OneDay wrote:
I’ve definitely been trying to address the bar the same way I always do, but due to the tightness of the suit in my groin area, I can’t get down there. The straps don’t seem to shift, which is good, it’s just so tight around my inner thigh area that I can’t get a good setup.

[/quote]

Are you using slip-ons and do you feel you are able to get the suit to seat all the way?

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
OneDay wrote:
I’ve definitely been trying to address the bar the same way I always do, but due to the tightness of the suit in my groin area, I can’t get down there. The straps don’t seem to shift, which is good, it’s just so tight around my inner thigh area that I can’t get a good setup.

Are you using slip-ons and do you feel you are able to get the suit to seat all the way?
[/quote]

Yeah, I’m using slip-ons, and it feels perfectly seated. My hams, glutes, and back all feel perfect. It’s really just pinching too much in my inner thigh area, and that pinching is restricting me from getting set up properly.

[quote]OneDay wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
OneDay wrote:
I’ve definitely been trying to address the bar the same way I always do, but due to the tightness of the suit in my groin area, I can’t get down there. The straps don’t seem to shift, which is good, it’s just so tight around my inner thigh area that I can’t get a good setup.

Are you using slip-ons and do you feel you are able to get the suit to seat all the way?

Yeah, I’m using slip-ons, and it feels perfectly seated. My hams, glutes, and back all feel perfect. It’s really just pinching too much in my inner thigh area, and that pinching is restricting me from getting set up properly. [/quote]

Well, in that case it sounds like it is not a major problem but rather kind of typical and one that is going to take a little time and practice to resolve.

BTW, we lift USAPL/IPF and I can assure you that you could do the whole meet RAW and it wouldn’t matter.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

I have difficulty getting down to the bar in my suit as well, unless I pull the legs way up. Even if you think it is seated well, try taking the legs up alittle further and see if that helps as well.

Malinda

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
I have difficulty getting down to the bar in my suit as well, unless I pull the legs way up. Even if you think it is seated well, try taking the legs up alittle further and see if that helps as well.

Malinda[/quote]

The legs are up as far as they will go. I think the problem might actually be that the legs are UP too far. See, my inner thigh is constricted too much for me to get down to the bar. I don’t know what I’m gonna do. I guess I’ll pull raw in this comp and keep working in the suit to try and get more comfortable.

Thanks…