Maintenance Man @ 24 Hour Fitness

My squats suck! My left knee is making funny noises. I’m feeling much older than 38 today. Waaaaaa. I don’t usually work out on my lunch hour and just wasn’t feeling it today. I forgot to Spike up, so maybe that was it. I was feeling defeated while finishing up a 295x8 set of parallel squats, when an older gentleman, about 60 years old, walks up with a picture saying, “I bet you’ll appreciate this.” It was a picture of someone in a powerlifting meet, with a lot of weight on his back at perfect parallel depth. No wraps, suit, etc. I said, “Is that you?” He said, “Yes, and that’s 600lbs.” in a matter of fact tone. Needless to say, I was quite impressed.

Even more so when he said he weighed 148lbs. at the time. Holy snikes! I said, “You certainly don’t see much good squatting going on around here.” He nodded and smiled. I noticed he had an employee polo shirt on and I asked him what his position was. “I’m the maintenance man.” I said, “You’re the last person I would expect to be a maintenance man here!” He said, “Come on back” motioning me to what looked to be a storage room. It was his office, which was packed with stuff, supplies and looked quite cramped.

On the shelves above his desk on the wall was his shrine. It contained about two dozen different trophies, pictures of him as a bodybuilder, certificates, etc. He began telling me about some of his strength feats from the early 60s, before powerlifting was a recognized sport. Not sure if that is true, but I went along with it. He wowed me with tales of pulling 700 , benching 500 and squatting 600 all at the weight of 148lbs. All the while I didn’t get the sense he was bragging, but simply sharing his achievements with someone who could truly appreciate what an accomplishment it was. He talked about owning his own gym, paying Arnold a $10K appearance fee to speak to his gym members, meeting Zane, Ferrigno and several other big names from that era.

I wondered aloud how in the world he ended up here. “Long story”, he replied. I probably could have chatted with him for hours, but I was starting to cool off and needed to finish my workout. I thanked him for sharing the stories. I was feeling inspired and got back to lifting. By the way, that gym is easily the best maintained 24 gym that I’ve been to. No suprise, considering the man behind the equipment.

That is so weird. I had the same thing happen to me. I think it was the same guy. He told me not to worry, that he was a doctor. I needed counseling shortly thereafter for depression and a prolapsed rectum.

LittleJohn,

That’s pretty cool man.

Mutha,

Don’t be such a dickhead.

[quote]HugeMutha wrote:
That is so weird. I had the same thing happen to me. I think it was the same guy. He told me not to worry, that he was a doctor. I needed counseling shortly thereafter for depression and a prolapsed rectum. [/quote]

Aren’t you the guy who keeps trying to be funny?

OP -

That’s an awesome story!

World records in the 148 pound class. These people are using "gear’ and are most likely not natural.

Squat
67.5kg Jaroslaw Olech, POL 330.0kg 15.11.2002

bench
67.5kg Alexei Sivokon, KAZ 215.0kg 16.11.2000

deadlift
67.5kg Jaroslaw Olech, POL 317.5kg 09.05.2003

For some reason I would not believe he put up those kind of numbers without powerlifting gear.

[quote]Mike Sullivan wrote:
World records in the 148 pound class. These people are using "gear’ and are most likely not natural.

Squat
67.5kg Jaroslaw Olech, POL 330.0kg 15.11.2002

bench
67.5kg Alexei Sivokon, KAZ 215.0kg 16.11.2000

deadlift
67.5kg Jaroslaw Olech, POL 317.5kg 09.05.2003

For some reason I would not believe he put up those kind of numbers without powerlifting gear.[/quote]

Why not believe him, especially if he showed a picture of him making the lift.
Those records are probebly from a time of being a recognized sport thus setting a record.

“He began telling me about some of his strength feats from the early 60s, before powerlifting was a recognized sport”

True not sure when powerlifting became a recognized sport.

Working out at 24 hour fitness…a bit gay

Having a bad workout…bit of a bummer (pun intended)

Having an old man give you his life story in the middle of the workout and then woo you back to show you his ‘trophy’…party time!

powerlifting became a recognized sport in 1963 i believe, i just read that somewhere. great story about the maintenance guy and his lifts. Google Ricky Dale Crane, or is it Crain he lifted in the 148’s and 165’s. he actually squatted 800 weighing 165. He’s in the powerlifting hall of fame.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
OP -
That’s an awesome story![/quote]

Thanks. I figured I’d try and break up the plethora of HRT topics here in the over 35 forum. =)

I thought it was especially cool, considering the guy works at 24HR Fitness. That’s the last place I would expect a guy like that to work. At least this gym has 2 squat racks and 2 power cages, and I rarely have to wait to use them. Plus, I only pay about $17 a month to use the 12 clubs in Portland, so it’s quite a bargain.

LJ

I think its great he showed you that and I think its great you had a little time for him.If a senior want five min of my time I can stop thinking about my pecs for that long any day.