T Nation

Maintaining the Pump

Hey all,

I’ve just started training with a greater hypertrophy goal in mind. Working on TUT and really hitting the MMC. As a result, im getting some great work outs and pumps.

I’ve done a lot of reading, a bit of experimenting and am enjoying it all. One I thing I really enjoy, which I imagine we can all relate to, is getting a pump. I have no problems getting a really good, skin stretching, hard to move pump - any body part. What I have problems with is maintaining it. Once I finish working out, after 10 minutes TOPS I have lost essentially all of it.

My pre and during supps looks like -
Pre - creatine, whey and banana.
During - BCAAs

Is it something im missing, or is it potentially something physically that ill just have to deal with?

pumps are fun, but transient. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Pumps are permanent…FST7

Pump and stretch that fascia…

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
Hey all,

I’ve just started training with a greater hypertrophy goal in mind. Working on TUT and really hitting the MMC. As a result, im getting some great work outs and pumps.

I’ve done a lot of reading, a bit of experimenting and am enjoying it all. One I thing I really enjoy, which I imagine we can all relate to, is getting a pump. I have no problems getting a really good, skin stretching, hard to move pump - any body part. What I have problems with is maintaining it. Once I finish working out, after 10 minutes TOPS I have lost essentially all of it.

My pre and during supps looks like -
Pre - creatine, whey and banana.
During - BCAAs

Is it something im missing, or is it potentially something physically that ill just have to deal with?
[/quote]

1 scoop of Whey protein
1 cup of 100% orange juice/grapefruit
1 cup of water
4-5 g of Arginine

+pure glycerin (yes) in cold water during workout.

Glycerine, as in vegetable glycerine?

When I was younger I used argignine supplementation, and it help with my pumps lasting a little longer…maybe. I have never timed how long a pump lasted, but 10 mins TOPS does seem a little quick, but they are not going to last hours. Or I have not figured out how to make them last hours yet, aside from my manhood pump(zing!) really though, the only thing I can think to suggest is to try and keep working the muscle longer after the pump is achieved, or don’t trip on how long it last and enjoy it while it does.

(I’m asking a question, not giving advice)

Other than the look/feel of having a pump, why try to get one? Why look at using chemicals to get a better pump?

One school says: “the pump drives nutrients into the muscle and increases hypertrophy”. Another says: “no, it really doesn’t make a difference”.

The one that makes the most sense to me says: “getting a good pump helps stretch the fascia, providing more room for the muscle to grow” (especially when combined with stretching while pumped)

[quote]LoRez wrote:
(I’m asking a question, not giving advice)

Other than the look/feel of having a pump, why try to get one? Why look at using chemicals to get a better pump?

One school says: “the pump drives nutrients into the muscle and increases hypertrophy”. Another says: “no, it really doesn’t make a difference”.

The one that makes the most sense to me says: “getting a good pump helps stretch the fascia, providing more room for the muscle to grow” (especially when combined with stretching while pumped)[/quote]

You must understand that these are all theories. In theory, more blood flow to a muscle might place stress on an unusually tight fascia. In theory, more blood flow might direct more nutrients to a working muscle.

Of course you’d be hard pressed to find concrete scientific evidence that either of these schools of thought show any direct link to actually contributing to muscle growth. If you have normal (average gym rat) rates of blood flow, and therefore sufficient nutrient delivery to working muscle cells without any added supplementary ingredients, can a cell really make use of extra nutrients beyond a pre-determined amount?

While I acknowledge that science doesn’t always synch with accepted antecdotal support, I personally prefer to bank my buck on anything proven to actually support hypertrophy, not a temporary feeling of fullness that has never been truly linked to any long term gain.

S

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
Glycerine, as in vegetable glycerine?[/quote]

yes. take it for 1 week then have at least 2-3 weeks off. It keeps pump for about 2-3h after workout. U can also use simple glycerol-based supplements but it costs more. I use 5-10g (0,2-0,4 oz) glycerin in 1 - 2 liters of water pre workout (about 1h). Little old schooled but hey… it works for me.

I kind of agree with Stu. To me nutrients might be step 4.
A - exercise/contract muscle
B - stretch if we take the image of the muscle is a sponge it means extract liquids/residue
C - eat, breathe, increase quality of blood
D - feed muscle with quality nutrients
Is anyone fallowing my train of toughs ?
I never read it but i cannot see any other way.
But i think the stretching fascias is also a possibility, maybe some combination of both ?
Thanks for your input.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
I kind of agree with Stu. To me nutrients might be step 4.
A - exercise/contract muscle
B - stretch if we take the image of the muscle is a sponge it means extract liquids/residue
C - eat, breathe, increase quality of blood
D - feed muscle with quality nutrients
Is anyone fallowing my train of toughs ?
I never read it but i cannot see any other way.
But i think the stretching fascias is also a possibility, maybe some combination of both ?
Thanks for your input.
[/quote]

Yeah, totally…muscles, sponges, big. I like it.

[quote]siberian wrote:

[quote]sexyxe wrote:

yes. take it for 1 week then have at least 2-3 weeks off. It keeps pump for about 2-3h after workout. U can also use simple glycerol-based supplements but it costs more. I use 5-10g (0,2-0,4 oz) glycerin in 1 - 2 liters of water pre workout (about 1h). Little old schooled but hey… it works for me. [/quote]

Can you use any vegetable glycerine? Or are there different kinds (in the same way as there’s coconut oil for cooking and coconut oil for skin etc)

Kinda interested in this one!

[quote]Tom240 wrote:

[quote]siberian wrote:

[quote]sexyxe wrote:

yes. take it for 1 week then have at least 2-3 weeks off. It keeps pump for about 2-3h after workout. U can also use simple glycerol-based supplements but it costs more. I use 5-10g (0,2-0,4 oz) glycerin in 1 - 2 liters of water pre workout (about 1h). Little old schooled but hey… it works for me. [/quote]

Can you use any vegetable glycerine? Or are there different kinds (in the same way as there’s coconut oil for cooking and coconut oil for skin etc)

[/quote]

I buy the liquid version by ‘NOW’ (they produce mostly vitamins and stuff, nothing that would make them a competing brand with Biotest), and use it when I pump up backstage before a contest. Great little trick to get an extra bit of water into your muscles. As far as how long the added volume/pump lasts,… well, I couldn’t tell you for sure, I don’t know anyone who uses it and then stops pumping up after -lol. Definitely a great supplement, pretty inexpensive, worth giving it a go IMO.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]Tom240 wrote:

[quote]siberian wrote:

[quote]sexyxe wrote:

[/quote]

I buy the liquid version by ‘NOW’ (they produce mostly vitamins and stuff, nothing that would make them a competing brand with Biotest), and use it when I pump up backstage before a contest. Great little trick to get an extra bit of water into your muscles. As far as how long the added volume/pump lasts,… well, I couldn’t tell you for sure, I don’t know anyone who uses it and then stops pumping up after -lol. Definitely a great supplement, pretty inexpensive, worth giving it a go IMO.

S
[/quote]

x2.

I buy pharmaceutical glycerin, 5 euro for 1 kilogram. Right now I’m in Germany, dunno how it looks in US today.

how long pump lasts, daily intake and how many days in a row use it to be happy with the results - depends on individual. Buy it, take 10 grams (mix it or drink with 1 bottle of water) before workout. Also, drink a lot water during your workout. see the results. if it’s fine - you should see much more veins, red eyes (yep!) and very nice pummmpppp. If toooo much… just a shitty toilet :slight_smile:

Cheers all. Ill give the arginine and ill grab some glycerine and see how that goes.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]Tom240 wrote:

[quote]siberian wrote:

[quote]sexyxe wrote:

[/quote]

S
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks S

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Pump and stretch that fascia…[/quote]

Yes totally agree. Pumping the muscle full of blood then fascial stretching, aka doggcrapp is painfully good and seems to make the pump last a bit longer.

[quote]siberian wrote:

1 scoop of Whey protein
1 cup of 100% orange juice/grapefruit
1 cup of water
4-5 g of Arginine

+pure glycerin (yes) in cold water during workout. [/quote]

I was just thinking about these supps. High doses or arginine will give you the shits. Glycerine will give you the shits, OJ will give you the shits. Is this just s recipe for a code brown when straining under a load?