Maintaining Strength During Football

Hey guys, it’s been a while since I’ve posted because I haven’t really had a problem since now. But anyway August 3rd will be my second powerlifting meet. I’ll be going for a couple records in my age division. It’s USAPL. Powerlifting is my love, but football is my mistress. I kind of play football just to do it. My team needs me and I didn’t play last year due to an elbow fracture. This March I will be competing in the state high school powerlifting meet. Ive been working so hard to get my numbers to where they are today and want to preserve them by all means possible. I was hoping that you guys could give me some help and maybe suggest what I could do.

I was thinking maybe running smolov and smolov junior but over the course of three months. Having one upper body day a week and one lower body day a week. Any suggestions? Does that sound good? All I’m looking to do is lose as little strength as possible knowing that I will inevitably probably lose some. Thanks guys.

To be honest, no. It does not sound good. How about you try a routine that can actually be done properly in season, such as a form of 5/3/1 or a simple upper/lower type of split? If you really want to focus on powerlifting, one of the 3-day-a-week Sheiko programs could be effective, as the intensity is cycled well and there is room for GPP (don’t get carried away and go for a CMS one or anything though).

I don’t believe strength loss is inevitable, it’s not like you’re running marathons or anything. Keep your nutrition in check (and add more kcals to account for energy expenditure) and keep working hard! Remember, recovery capacity can be trained to quite an extent.

I think that sounds pretty solid. I’ve run 29 twice and 32 currently over the last three months. But I did do 531 for 9 nomonths so I think twice a week it could be effective for me. As far as nutrition goes I’m not afraid to gain weight or maintain so I’ll be consuming as many calories as I can to keep weight loss at a minimum, or allow me to grow a little bit.

Hey man, sheiko isn’t really what I’d recommend for an in season football program.

just go with 531, it’s foolproof and fun. Don’t stress about missing a workout right now, just make it when you can. When I played sports I lost strength only because I quit working out cause I got tired with school.

i’ve got a hockey player right now in the gym 5 days a week and on the ice 3-4 days a week.

Once the season starts we’ll lift twice, and just try to have some fun and not stress needlessly.

I’d just try a Monday/Thursday split.

Monday: Back squat 3x3
Deadlift 3x3
Assistance work 3x10

Thursday: Bench 5x2
Incline bench 3x5

[quote]squat69 wrote:

Deadlift 3x3
Assistance work 3x10

Incline bench 3x5[/quote]
Heavy doubles the day before a game…don’t do that

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

Deadlift 3x3
Assistance work 3x10

Incline bench 3x5[/quote]
Heavy doubles the day before a game…don’t do that [/quote]

It was hard to think of a program because I wasn’t sure what his schedule was, I did this split during hockey season and my strength just kept going up

Collegiate strength coach here with my two cents:

The amount of work you’ll be doing in-season (assuming you’re actually working hard) only allows for maintenance or small gains. The best way to go is to identify movements that give you the most bang for your buck and focus on those, along with prehab work to manage/prevent injuries.

I’d suggest a 2 day week where you do an Olympic lift, a squat/deadlift, a press, and a pull on day one and a complex (Dan John has good material on here about those) followed by prehab work (rotator cuff, lower back, mobility, whatever your trouble areas are) on day two. 45 minutes to an hour will be plenty.

Day one is the heavier day and I’d suggest working with around 90% of your training max for doubles and triples. Day two should be more moderate with reps in the 4-8 range (consider each movement in the complex a rep) and slightly more for the prehab work. Don’t push anything in-season. Just go in, get your work done, and get out.

You’re not trying to improve, just maintain. Obviously, since PL is the goal, make sure your movements are ones that transfer well for you. Stay on top of recovery with ice, contrast, soft tissue work if you have acces to it, and mobility work. Lots of fluids, extra calories, and as much sleep as you can get.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Lots of great ideas that I’ll put into practice here in a little over two weeks.