T Nation

Maintaining Size with 531?

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]zackysmith wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]zackysmith wrote:
sweet. what about for the whole program? i feel my shoulders take a bit off my pull ups and would be better on bench day[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about, now? You do shoulders on shoulder day. Pull ups aren’t a main lift, and do pull ups or rows on both bench and shoulder day. You should really fork over the 20 bucks and get the book. Simple questions like these are answered in the book.

You should do a pull set for every push set of your main lift.[/quote]
i know mate, im not stupid, it says do pull ups after military press and rows after bench, i said can i do pull ups on bench day and rows on military day. after the main lift[/quote]

Actually you can do pull ups or rows on both days.[/quote]
what do you mean?? i can do pull ups and rows twice a week?

Why wouldnt you be able to do that?

[quote]GhostOD wrote:
Why wouldnt you be able to do that?[/quote]
I mean if i do pull ups and rows on bench day and pull and rows on M press day, so 2 pulling movements on each press day?

Ive been doing this routine for a few months and have got thicker, and a little leaner.

Love this routine.

[quote]jmurp1111 wrote:
Ive been doing this routine for a few months and have got thicker, and a little leaner.

Love this routine. [/quote]
on which template

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Just gonna throw this pic out there and let you figure out for yourself how humorous your post is…[/quote]

Jim Wendler is overly buff for his strength.

Don’t post someone whom we don’t really aspire to be.

Jesus. Just read some damn articles, go through the four gigantic 5/3/1 threads here, and go lift some damn weights. Quit asking every tiny question that pops up in your head. Go train, you’ll figure it out on your own.

Quit majoring in the minors.

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
Jesus. Just read some damn articles, go through the four gigantic 5/3/1 threads here, and go lift some damn weights. Quit asking every tiny question that pops up in your head. Go train, you’ll figure it out on your own.

Quit majoring in the minors.[/quote]
I have been lifting weights. have u?

i just dont see how you can gain weight off BBB even eating a lot

[quote]zackysmith wrote:
i just dont see how you can gain weight off BBB even eating a lot[/quote]

Uhh… I don’t see how you could not see that. If you lift a lot of weights and eat a lot of food, what do you think is gonna happen?

you tell me, i could lift a lot of random weights and eat lots of food but will that make me grow too? probably not

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Buy the book. Its worth it. I notice gains come a bit slower than Starrs 5x5, but I wasnt able to do other training really at all on starrs program, I am able to do martial arts and conditioning at a high frequency on Wendlers. I have also made consistant gains and have not stalled out since I started the program in November.

FWIW, I now LOVE high rep dumbell rows. They really put some size on my upper back and increased my grip strength quite a bit.[/quote]
Can u do high rep dumbell rows on deadlift day as the BBB 5x10 exercise, the one after the main lift?

It’s either you’re a weak troll or you are stubborn.

Trust me, you’re only going to be annoying people from this point on.

The answer to all your questions is to either:

A. Buy the book and follow what is outlined.

B. Look up a 5/3/1 program with the template that you prefer (it’s on stronglifts) and do what is written.

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
[/quote]

Wow, that sounds familiar.

Luke

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:

Trust me, you’re only going to be annoying people from this point on.

The answer to all your questions is to either:

A. Buy the book and follow what is outlined.

B. Look up a 5/3/1 program with the template that you prefer (it’s on stronglifts) and do what is written.[/quote]
Just stubborn mate

[quote]zackysmith wrote:

Assuming that this is not trolling or that others who are actually concerned might read it, I personally have had no problem gaining muscle on the BBB template and just considering what you are doing it should be clear how. You are doing 11 total sets of squats, deadlifts, bench, press, rows and chinups, and whatever other assistance on the squat and deadlift days (make it something awesome). If you are not finding the 5x10 sufficiently exhausting then consider upping the weight a bit and/or slow down the tempo and/or reduce the rest for those sets. You should be able to get a pump from them and doms/soreness the next day if that is what you are going for.

Keep in mind that Wendler says to do the 5/3/1 set working the movement, but the 5x10 sets to work the muscle.

The routine is not made to be optimal for gaining size (not having 20 drop sets or whatever), but using the heavy compound lifts in a controlled fashion for that volume should be more than sufficient to maintain size for you. And, if you try it for a while and for some reason find that you are shrinking you can modify the program then to provide more total volume or whatever you need.

[quote]revchad wrote:

[quote]zackysmith wrote:

Assuming that this is not trolling or that others who are actually concerned might read it, I personally have had no problem gaining muscle on the BBB template and just considering what you are doing it should be clear how. You are doing 11 total sets of squats, deadlifts, bench, press, rows and chinups, and whatever other assistance on the squat and deadlift days (make it something awesome). If you are not finding the 5x10 sufficiently exhausting then consider upping the weight a bit and/or slow down the tempo and/or reduce the rest for those sets. You should be able to get a pump from them and doms/soreness the next day if that is what you are going for.

Keep in mind that Wendler says to do the 5/3/1 set working the movement, but the 5x10 sets to work the muscle.

The routine is not made to be optimal for gaining size (not having 20 drop sets or whatever), but using the heavy compound lifts in a controlled fashion for that volume should be more than sufficient to maintain size for you. And, if you try it for a while and for some reason find that you are shrinking you can modify the program then to provide more total volume or whatever you need.[/quote]

sweet, thanks dude. yesterday was bench day for me and i feel that the volume is enough and it was hard getting through those sets and it felt good so hopefully i can be stronger and same size/bigger. if this program is more exhausting than my last one does that mean i should eat more? even though i eat more than enough now but i guess thats for my old program.

Is this really you in vid on the bottom of the page? How can you know nothing about training when you are pulling 600lbs for reps?

[quote]JCrisp91 wrote:

Is this really you in vid on the bottom of the page? How can you know nothing about training when you are pulling 600lbs for reps?[/quote]
yes it is, i do know a lot about training lol ive said that before, but i didnt know anything about the 5 3 1 system or westside, only what im told to do

I’ve been doing the program on and off for about a year. When I get bored with it, I take a break. Just take this approach: if you’re getting stronger at the 4 lifts, you’re doing it right. If you’re not, you’re not. Just don’t sweat the other stuff. If you wanna use BBB, do it. You’ll get bigger, but as you might guess from the name, it’s boring. If you wanna do pull-ups on bench and military press day, you can. If you wanna do rows on both days, you can. I probably wouldn’t do them both for 50 reps each, but you may be able to get away with it. Just relax on all the minor deatails, hit the gym with a purpose, and kick butt.