Maintaining Size with 531?

Ive decided to start the boring but big 5 3 1 and wondering if i will keep my size with a good diet on this program? if i get bigger than its a bonus but just wanting to maintain

Uh, sure? I’m slightly confused. Are you trying to get stronger, but stay the same weight?

yea sorry i wanna increase my 4 big lifts, i dont mind gaining weight but wondering if ill lose any doing this program considering i come from a slight bodybuilding background and changing it up to get stronger. can i still gain the same strength from the 2 assistance program?

There is a reason it’s called “Boring But Big”… It is boring but it will make you big. If your diet is where it needs to be you will probably grow.

yea true lol so boring but, more strength gains in BBB but?

You’ll get stronger and bigger. Lift and eat.

You need to chill out and just read up on the wealth of information here. You’ve created like 5 threads in the last week asking about this program or that program and how to keep weight etc. etc. Stick to a program, eat plenty, get stronger, grow, rinse repeat.

Are you wanting to gain weight…or lose weight…You can do both on this. I’m confused at what you’re trying to do.

yea im still a begginer in powerlifting so i wanna get everything i need to know before i start so i can start a program and not change it, so i can see slow steady gains like jim says. thanks everyone for the input. much appreciated

[quote]zackysmith wrote:
yea im still a begginer in powerlifting so i wanna get everything i need to know before i start so i can start a program and not change it, so i can see slow steady gains like jim says. thanks everyone for the input. much appreciated[/quote]
As a beginner, you’ll gain size on just about any decent program as long as you eat enough. Don’t worry so much… pick something that is popular and DO IT AS WRITTEN. Don’t try to change or substitute anything.

ok thanks, quick question i havent bought the book yet but on military press day can i do dumbell rows instead of pull ups? or do i have to do pull ups cause i train at home and dont have pull up equipment yet until next few days and military press day is tomorrow

[quote]zackysmith wrote:
ok thanks, quick question i havent bought the book yet but on military press day can i do dumbell rows instead of pull ups? or do i have to do pull ups cause i train at home and dont have pull up equipment yet until next few days and military press day is tomorrow[/quote]

dumbbell rows would be just fine man

sweet. what about for the whole program? i feel my shoulders take a bit off my pull ups and would be better on bench day

[quote]zackysmith wrote:
yea im still a begginer in powerlifting so i wanna get everything i need to know before i start so i can start a program and not change it, so i can see slow steady gains like jim says. thanks everyone for the input. much appreciated[/quote]

Uh…so you want to see gains in what…strength, size, or conditioning? As Jim says best way to figure it out is put your nose to the grind stone for 10 years and unless you’re just jacking around…you should probably know how to do what you want with your body.

I am guessing you mean size? Well, do just the require reps on your main lift. Work up to higher volume assistance work (BBB) and your conditioning should be three ‘easy’ NOV workouts a week. Also…eat a lot. Sleep a lot…nap a lot. Drink some beer on the weekends. Eat chili until your insides melt…general put hair on your chest things.

[quote]zackysmith wrote:
sweet. what about for the whole program? i feel my shoulders take a bit off my pull ups and would be better on bench day[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about, now? You do shoulders on shoulder day. Pull ups aren’t a main lift, and do pull ups or rows on both bench and shoulder day. You should really fork over the 20 bucks and get the book. Simple questions like these are answered in the book.

You should do a pull set for every push set of your main lift.

Buy the book

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]zackysmith wrote:
sweet. what about for the whole program? i feel my shoulders take a bit off my pull ups and would be better on bench day[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about, now? You do shoulders on shoulder day. Pull ups aren’t a main lift, and do pull ups or rows on both bench and shoulder day. You should really fork over the 20 bucks and get the book. Simple questions like these are answered in the book.

You should do a pull set for every push set of your main lift.[/quote]
i know mate, im not stupid, it says do pull ups after military press and rows after bench, i said can i do pull ups on bench day and rows on military day. after the main lift

[quote]JonDoh wrote:
Buy the book [/quote]
i just might have too

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]zackysmith wrote:

Uh…so you want to see gains in what…strength, size, or conditioning? As Jim says best way to figure it out is put your nose to the grind stone for 10 years and unless you’re just jacking around…you should probably know how to do what you want with your body.

I am guessing you mean size? Well, do just the require reps on your main lift. Work up to higher volume assistance work (BBB) and your conditioning should be three ‘easy’ NOV workouts a week. Also…eat a lot. Sleep a lot…nap a lot. Drink some beer on the weekends. Eat chili until your insides melt…general put hair on your chest things.[/quote]
mainly strength

to make it easy for you, here is two sample templates.

mp day:
mp: 5,3,1.
a pressing movement: totalt of 50reps.
a pulling movement: totalt of 50reps.

squat day:
squat: 5,3,1.
a quad movement: a total of 50reps.
a hamstring movement: a totalt of 50reps.

bench day:
bench: 5,3,1.
a pressing movement: a total of 50reps.
a pulling movement: a total of 50reps.

deadlift day:
lowerback: a total of 50reps.
abs: a total of 50reps.

or this.

mp day:
mp: 5,3,1.
a pressing movement: a total of 30reps.
2 pulling movements: a total of 30reps each.

squat day:
squat: 5,3,1.
quads: a total of 30reps.
hamstrings: a total of 30reps.
lowerback: a total of 50reps.

bench day:
bench: 5,3,1.
a pressing movement: a total of 30reps.
2 pulling movements: a total of 30reps each.

deadlift day:
deadlift: 5,3,1.
quads: a total of 30reps.
hamstrings: a total of 30reps.
abs: a total of 50reps.

Hope that was any help.