Maintaining Muscle With Broken Foot

Merry Xmas all…

Quick query I have - I have a broken foot and as a result cannot really train properly. (understatement lol.) How can I train and eat to maximise the amount of muscle I keep during this time off?! I won’t be able to weight bear the broken foot for at least a month and a half I would guess…

I can however use benches etc, I am an ectomorph who has a hard time putting on any muscle at all! If anyone could advice on set/rep schemes also it would be useful, as I have no experience of training when “not” training lol. Thanks…

Hey Millasur!

Happy Holidays first off. Well as Shugs mentioned in his article posted on physique clinic, the “x-factor” in muscle gaining, if any, would have to be intensity–going to the edge of death on each rep. You get the idea. With a broken foot I would recommend simply staying off any exercise which would for now stress the injury even more.

Incorporate presses-military, bench(close-grip, wide-grip, decline, incline, etc.) and go with leg curls and other exercises which don’t involve you putting weight on your foot. The point is to stimulate every muscle you can. If you can, try chin-ups and dips. Great exercises and even greater when you add weight. Anyways go to the edge with every one of these exercises.

But remember you broke your foot meaning you must have damaged the fascia along your foot. Chad mentioned in one his articles that damaged or tight fascia can cause your body to overcompensate. So be sure to also stretch and do rehab/mobility exercises for your foot every day.

Oh and as for the diet, eat big but smart. Can’t go wrong with the protein shakes, meals during the day, carbs(pasta, breads, grains) after your workout and healthy fats(fish oil is a must) too all throughout. I hope I could be of some help to you. Good luck with the training and again happy holidays!

You broke one foot, which means you have one healthy foot. Unilateral exercises are a great way to minimize atrophy, so try some single leg squats,RDLs, leg presses, etc. Also, it has been proven that when one limb is immobilized, and the other is still trained, there is a neurological cross-over to the immobilized limb so that it will not lose as much strength when it is allowed to be mobile again.

Other than that, follow was the previous poster said about hitting upper body with a very high demand and make sure to follow any rehab given to you by medical professionals.

Happy Holidays and best of luck.

-LH

Dont worry about it, injuries happen to the best of us. Train what you can train and the whole training your other leg is true. I spent 9 weeks in a cast for my wrist, and lost very little size. however i did lose strength, but not nearly as much as i expected.

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
You broke one foot, which means you have one healthy foot. Unilateral exercises are a great way to minimize atrophy, so try some single leg squats,RDLs, leg presses, etc. Also, it has been proven that when one limb is immobilized, and the other is still trained, there is a neurological cross-over to the immobilized limb so that it will not lose as much strength when it is allowed to be mobile again.
[/quote]

definately! I totally forgot to mention lower body movements… Mike Boyle has some good articles on unilateral movements. here’s one such article:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1543621

Foot you say? Your upper body is free then. Also try doing lower body stuff in machines where your foot isn’t really working (ie. Nautilus back extensions).

Cheers for the motivational words…

In short I was drunk and somehow got my foot run over by a bus (LOL.) so yea, it’s mostly my own fault. i broke 2 toes and 2 metatarsals, so I guess I was lucky really… Had open reduction (basically wher ethey rebuild it) surgery which involves plates + pins/screws holding it together. Training etc is hard as I cannot weight bare at all, i’m not allowed to even touch the floor with my foot… Anyways

Today I got knackered lol, and all I did was 66 on the bench, 58 db deadlift on the gd leg (balancin is so hard) and obv all my psyio prescribed boring super easy leg raises + side raises for the bad leg. (was doing sets of 80 or so.)

Guna try keep up what I can… :slight_smile: