T Nation

Maintaining Muscle Proportion

Hey all,

So it has been about a month or more since I have started my Rippetoe's Starting Strength workout routine (http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide) and the people around me and myself have started seeing growth in muscle size as well as strength. So my question now is how have some of you maintained an even muscle proportion between the left side of your body and your right?

Using myself as an example, I am left handed, so therefore the left side of my body is stronger than my right. It seems to me my left arm is bigger than my right, so how do I keep things even so that my body portions remain neutral?

From what I’ve seen on here so far, In corporate DB work…along with squats and milk :stuck_out_tongue:

there are so many articles on this site about fixing your shit up.

read them

Honestly when doing starting strength i wouldnt worry about things like this, if youre this new to it you should begin to even out a bit over the next few months. Im the same way, my right arm is 15 1/4" and left is an even 15" due to being right handed my whole life, and the difference is definitely noticeable both in size and shape due to me having long arms, even for a 6’3" tall frame. It is evening out though, slowly but surely

[quote]Avic7 wrote:
Hey all,

So it has been about a month or more since I have started my Rippetoe’s Starting Strength workout routine (http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide) and the people around me and myself have started seeing growth in muscle size as well as strength. So my question now is how have some of you maintained an even muscle proportion between the left side of your body and your right?

Using myself as an example, I am left handed, so therefore the left side of my body is stronger than my right. It seems to me my left arm is bigger than my right, so how do I keep things even so that my body portions remain neutral?[/quote]

If you are doing SS, proportion should be the last thing on your mind. This program is not designed with that in mind.

And there is no arm work in SS, so using your arms as a measuring stick as to whether you are growing proportionally may not be the best idea either.

If you are doing SS, do it and stop worrying about the little things until you run the program into the ground. If you are worried about your arm size, SS may not be for you.

If you’re a noob and doing SS, don’t worry about it, it would make Rippetoe cry.

Eventually, you can do unilateral exercises (dumbbells, single-leg stuff) which are useful. Eventually.