Maintaining Gains While at Military Basic Training

I just recently met with a recruiter for the Air National Guard, and I have decided to join as a part-timer in order to help pay for grad school as well as pay off bills, which only entails that I work for them 1 weekend a month and, at some point in the year, 15 consecutive days.

As soon as I sign the papers (I haven’t yet, but I will), I have 1 year to begin basic training, which is 2 months long. After this is training for your specific job that you will perform while you serve your time, but it’s more like job hours than anything for you only work 8 hours a day then, so I could work out as well as maintain a proper diet and whatnot I am sure.

My ideal time to do the basic training would be some time next year during the summer. By that time, I will have gone through one steroid cycle. I only get 3 meals a day there (which means not very many calories or a steady flow of protein and nutrients), and there might be no actual weightlifting done while at training, just “conditioning”.

Basically I will be doing long hours of running around and doing exercises that won’t really strengthen me and .

If you’ve ever heard the phrase, that while at any military basic training, “the big guys get small and the small guys get big”, then you will understand my fear. I am afraid that I am going to lose muscle during this time because after my cycle, I could be pushing 250 - 260 at single digit BF% if all goes well.

That is an awful lot of mass to preserve when conditions are suboptimal. I was wondering if there would be any possibility of maintaining this muscle mass with a mild gear cycle that is not necessarily for gaining muscle, but preventing catabolic effects.

I am not saying that gear is a necessity, but I am wondering if it would be a viable option.

Would Clen be an option to take there? The time I would spend at basic training would be the months that I would cut, so I could use the daily grind of basic training to my advantage and get ripped while I am there.

Basically, I am looking to take an 8 week oral cycle, and if there is any steroid out there that doesn’t cause shutdown and is anti-catabolic, then that would be preferred. If it is possible to avoid shutdown, then I would prefer to go that route.

If not, I could take HCG with me and use it in the 5,000IU dosage every 5 days and reduce, etc etc at the end of those 8 weeks for PCT.

Pills would be the easiest to sneak in if they search your luggage. Do basic training camps search luggage? If they do, can I hide them or even just crotch them in a baggie. BCAA’s and supplements I am sure would help as well and if I could get by with those, then great.

Maybe if I just stuff myself while I am at basic training, then I won’t lose muscle mass. Injectables could work, but it would be much harder to sneak in all those needles, the vials and other stuff. Regardless, leave your ideas about injectable options as well so that I am not closed-minded.

Help me out guys! What do you think? Will supplements save me or will I have to grab a little bit of gear in order to make this work? Sorry for the long-winded post. It’s kinda all over the place, but you get the idea.

PS: Forgot to mention that I want to use this time to help cut for a show. I really think that I could make it on time if I do this stuff right while I am at basic training.

Well clen is a terrible idea im afraid. If we can devise a solution for maintaining your mass, then on a reduced calorie diet and a harsh cardio vascular program, you are going to lose fat anyway.

As far as an oral only cycle goes for 8 weeks it will be impossoble to do without shutdown of sorts, the mildest route would be anavar ran at 30mg a day ad i think that would be pushing it.

The other option is using anadrol and winstrol following the 2 on 2 off protocol.

100mg anadrol daily
50mg winstrol daily

Now from the postings and pms i have had with people who have partaken in this combo, an ai is not required, the class 1-2 synergy provides fantastic gains and almost blocks bad side effects.

With the two on two off, LH levels will be peaking as an on period finishes allowing for speedy recovery in the off period.
This maybe a good way to preserve some mass in your given situation.
The concern i have for you following this route is the effect the combo may have on cv output, given that hypertension is usually a common side.

Other than this i think the test decanote we are discussing in Bushys thread may be something you could look into.

Don’t be a retard: do not take illegal substances with you to basic. You are in big big trouble if they are found. Besides, it’s not like you have much privacy in basic anyway, you will get busted.

You’re joining the Air Force NG, not going to Ranger school. You physical training will not be so intense that you’ll lose all your muscle. You will do running and push ups and stuff like that, but you will also have time to hit the gym. And the food is not junk and not terrible, just choose wisely at the dining facility, and take a little extra for in between meals.

IMHO; Enjoy the drug-free 8 weeks. And congrats on your decision to join!

What do you think about Dbol? I could probably take 25mg or so a day, and although I would see a shutdown, I don’t think I would have to worry too much about losing muscle as long as I find ways to stimulate the muscle somewhat like push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

I can just take an AI with me in case gyno symptoms occur, and then maybe taper off?

Something like:

Week 1 - 8: D-bol 25mg/D
Week 1 - 8: Maybe run .25mg Adex/E3D ?
Week 1 - 8: Hit up the gyno with Nolva if needed

And then taper down 5mg every 2 weeks until dose is 0mg to allow natural test to begin.

Would I need HCG for something like this?

[quote]koots wrote:
Don’t be a retard: do not take illegal substances with you to basic. You are in big big trouble if they are found. Besides, it’s not like you have much privacy in basic anyway, you will get busted.

You’re joining the Air Force NG, not going to Ranger school. You physical training will not be so intense that you’ll lose all your muscle. You will do running and push ups and stuff like that, but you will also have time to hit the gym. And the food is not junk and not terrible, just choose wisely at the dining facility, and take a little extra for in between meals.

IMHO; Enjoy the drug-free 8 weeks. And congrats on your decision to join![/quote]

Great advice. Like I said, I am just keeping gear open as an option. I never said it was a for sure thing to take drugs with me. If I can lift while I am there, take food with me and have time to eat it, then great. I won’t need them. I did not think about this during my meeting, so I thought I would get all of my scenarios together so no matter what the recruiter would answer, I would be prepared.

You seem to know some stuff about BT. Will I be allowed to take legal supplements such as the lovely Biotest supplements? You know, creatine, protein powder, etc?

[quote]BestDaddyEver wrote:
koots wrote:

IMHO; Enjoy the drug-free 8 weeks. And congrats on your decision to join!

Great advice. Like I said, I am just keeping gear open as an option. I never said it was a for sure thing to take drugs with me. If I can lift while I am there, take food with me and have time to eat it, then great. I won’t need them.

You seem to know some stuff about BT. Will I be allowed to take legal supplements such as the lovely Biotest supplements?[/quote]

I don’t see why not. You can buy them at the BX (military version of Wal-Mart) there on base at GNC. You can take extra stuff, just not illegal stuff. For example, everyone takes individual gatorade packets or Nicoret gum or caffeine pills or whatever. Take some Spike pills and protein powder / bars and BCAA’s and creatine and the like. As long as you have room for it when you go to the field. When your in the barracks you can keep it in your lockerr. Just be smart, and leave the illegal stuff at home.

Keep in mind, too, that if you show up looking like a gorilla with backne galore, they can also test you for steroids, but only if they have some reason to suspect you. Don’t show up looking like Dianabol-saurus all bloated and zitted. You will be tested for other drugs, especially marijuana, opiates (heroin), cocaine, and meth, among others. Just be smart, think like a boy scout, not Chris Benoit.

I will have long been off gear by the time I go to basic training. If I can take my supplements, then I will be set. I took a look into google and found that they serve pretty good food.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I would be inclined to do basic before my first cycle. After all, you just don’t know how you will recover, post cycle.

It sounds from your stats as though you are pretty mesomorphic anyway (you are natually big with fairly low bf%). So I guess that just some protein, fish oil, creatine and BCAAs will see you right during basic.

Bushy[/quote]

Don’t forget the good old multi, Superfood and Beta-Alanine. :slight_smile: Out of ignorance, why would I wait until after basic training? I have at lease 3 months between the end of my taper and at least 6 months between the end of my cycle and then. What kind of problems would you see happening that would not only take all of that time to fix, but actually effect my training even if they weren’t fixed?

Some people dont recover very easily…

[quote] JJ wrote:
Some people dont recover very easily… [/quote]

Well then, I guess I will just have to keep a log then so that wonderful T-Nation members such as yourself can help me along the way so that I can avoid such long recovery time after the cycle. :slight_smile:

lol! its not that, but naturally some guys (me included) really struggle to get endo test up within the allotted time frame…

But of course.

I have now got a very brutal and effective (i’m sure) pct with taper, serm, preventative and band aid measures that shoulkd ensure a full recovery for moi.

I am writing this reply to tell you how it is really going to be there.

I was in the air force for 7 years and remember the BT. Don�??t get me wrong it was very easy and I put on ten lbs of muscle there mostly because I was a stick and they didn�??t let me run enough to keep the weight down.

You will NOT be able to bring the stuff in there because they will search your bags. You can try sneaking the stuff in but if you get caught your ass gets thrown out after being processed through the medical flight more than likely, which is like hell I have heard. In the medical flight you just walk around to stupid appointments doing yard work, picking up trash and crap like that, ooo and talk to psych doctors as well sound like fun yet. Then there is the possibility of some form of disciplinary action as well.

You will not workout with weights there think about it there are hundreds of people going through this one course at any given time and they only go to one base so there will not be enough gyms/weights to accommodate everyone. So the instructors primarily stick to some form of bodyweight exercise. You will not do that many push-ups unless you are a screw up and even then you only get like 10 at a time. You will be walking around everywhere you go in the Texas heat (got to love it)so you will be burning tons of calories just doing that, and you will be running a lot so again more calories. As far as chow goes there is a potential to eat alot there if you can scarf down food like there is no tomorrow and quickly. It’s all luck of the draw who gets to eat the longest. You could be sitting down and then the instructors can tell you get up your done and you could have only put two bites in your mouth so it�??s important that you eat as fast as you can don�??t bother chewing, if you take a swig of water with every bite that helps food go down quicker as well.

Hmm what else you will get a piss test within the first 1-2 weeks of getting there now normally they only give drug test not steroid tests because the latter is more costly but if they believe someone is on the juice or just too big for their liking they will order a steroid test as well so keep that in mind. You will not be allowed to purchase protein, Creatine, or any other supplements because you cannot store them. They want everyone�??s wall locker to look exactly the same so if you have a bottle of something that the other person does not have they will not allow it. I�??ve seen it happen. Shit I saw them not allow an entire bay of 65 women not have purses because 1 person did not have one. Those are just some of the things to think of before you head down to BT.

If you want to be in great shape and cut some weight and are adamant about going into the service I have a friend that joined the Combat Controllers as an air national guardsman so it is possible. Or even Pararescueman I don�??t know about the Combat Weatherman, but they are the Air Forces Special Forces. They all work out all day and are in superb shape, just as good as shape as other services Special Forces. Just some more food for thought before you leave.

Good luck and have a blast peace.

I really want to help and comment, but don’t have the time before I go to work. I will try to post up when I get back from work tomorrow.

[quote]chongtxtx wrote:
I am writing this reply to tell you how it is really going to be there.

I was in the air force for 7 years and remember the BT. Don�??t get me wrong it was very easy and I put on ten lbs of muscle there mostly because I was a stick and they didn�??t let me run enough to keep the weight down.

You will NOT be able to bring the stuff in there because they will search your bags. You can try sneaking the stuff in but if you get caught your ass gets thrown out after being processed through the medical flight more than likely, which is like hell I have heard. In the medical flight you just walk around to stupid appointments doing yard work, picking up trash and crap like that, ooo and talk to psych doctors as well sound like fun yet. Then there is the possibility of some form of disciplinary action as well.

You will not workout with weights there think about it there are hundreds of people going through this one course at any given time and they only go to one base so there will not be enough gyms/weights to accommodate everyone. So the instructors primarily stick to some form of bodyweight exercise. You will not do that many push-ups unless you are a screw up and even then you only get like 10 at a time. You will be walking around everywhere you go in the Texas heat (got to love it)so you will be burning tons of calories just doing that, and you will be running a lot so again more calories. As far as chow goes there is a potential to eat alot there if you can scarf down food like there is no tomorrow and quickly. It’s all luck of the draw who gets to eat the longest. You could be sitting down and then the instructors can tell you get up your done and you could have only put two bites in your mouth so it�??s important that you eat as fast as you can don�??t bother chewing, if you take a swig of water with every bite that helps food go down quicker as well.

Hmm what else you will get a piss test within the first 1-2 weeks of getting there now normally they only give drug test not steroid tests because the latter is more costly but if they believe someone is on the juice or just too big for their liking they will order a steroid test as well so keep that in mind. You will not be allowed to purchase protein, Creatine, or any other supplements because you cannot store them. They want everyone�??s wall locker to look exactly the same so if you have a bottle of something that the other person does not have they will not allow it. I�??ve seen it happen. Shit I saw them not allow an entire bay of 65 women not have purses because 1 person did not have one. Those are just some of the things to think of before you head down to BT.

If you want to be in great shape and cut some weight and are adamant about going into the service I have a friend that joined the Combat Controllers as an air national guardsman so it is possible. Or even Pararescueman I don�??t know about the Combat Weatherman, but they are the Air Forces Special Forces. They all work out all day and are in superb shape, just as good as shape as other services Special Forces. Just some more food for thought before you leave.

Good luck and have a blast peace.[/quote]

Hmmm… I am getting mixed results about allowing supplements there and whatnot. I really hope that they allow supplements. It is for my health after all. Regardless, I just don’t want this basic training to ruin my chances of going into my next competition.

As for eating, I have won several eating contests as well as have been able to finish the gallon challenge successfully. I can eat very fast.

Do they allow you to take food with you that isn’t candy?

if you have powder, you could easily hid something like winstrol mixed with water in a sample shampoo bottle. No, you will not be allowed to take any supplements with you or keep them in your possession.

I dont know much about them but paper anabolics would probally seem ideal for this scenario…?

Best Daddy Ever…Chill out bro, firt of all its eight weeks, At the worst you will come out of basic leaner ready to gain some massive strength and size. I went to Basic training for the Marine Corps which is 13 weeks long and I am sure requires much more running and intensive aerobic exercising that are going to do nothing but burn calories. I entered weighing 208 and came out 201. Just take in as many calories as you can when ever chow comes around. You will be able to choose what you want to eat at each meal…the trick is load up on milk, peanut butter, cottage cheese etc. now…sneaking protien in and protien laced with gear…Go ahead and log back on here when you get kicked the hell out and let us know how that worked for ya. there will be no sneaking shit in that they dont issue you, you are going to get there and all of your belongings will be put in a box and you will not see them till the day you leave.

Also, get off the gear and stay off, the military will catch you. Although the “random” piss tets dont test for roids they will know, and will nail your ass…then see how far you get in life with an unhonorable discharge from the military. Dont be an idiot. Get through it, then get out ready to rock and roll, and ready to rock and roll naturally.

[quote]bearcat1485 wrote:
Best Daddy Ever…Chill out bro, firt of all its eight weeks, At the worst you will come out of basic leaner ready to gain some massive strength and size. I went to Basic training for the Marine Corps which is 13 weeks long and I am sure requires much more running and intensive aerobic exercising that are going to do nothing but burn calories. I entered weighing 208 and came out 201. Just take in as many calories as you can when ever chow comes around. You will be able to choose what you want to eat at each meal…the trick is load up on milk, peanut butter, cottage cheese etc. now…sneaking protien in and protien laced with gear…Go ahead and log back on here when you get kicked the hell out and let us know how that worked for ya. there will be no sneaking shit in that they dont issue you, you are going to get there and all of your belongings will be put in a box and you will not see them till the day you leave. Also, get off the gear and stay off, the military will catch you. Although the “random” piss tets dont test for roids they will know, and will nail your ass…then see how far you get in life with an unhonorable discharge from the military. Dont be an idiot. Get through it, then get out ready to rock and roll, and ready to rock and roll naturally.[/quote]

Don’t worry. Pretty much by the third post in the thread, I had decided to not take any gear to the basic training.

However, I will not run natural. I have my cycle set up so that the gear will be completely out of my system by the time I show up at basic training. I will be fine.

So from the looks of it, there will be no weighted training or supplements. I suppose I will just have to eat large meals very quickly.

I suppose I can just skip my next contest. It would have been only about 2 weeks after my training would be over anyway. To look on the bright side, it will give me the opportunity to really work on my physique. Bodybuilding is only a hobby after all.

If its allowed chef jay’s trioplex bars. As many as u can possibly take