Maintaining Deadlifting Strength

Hey everyone,

I have worked up to a 3x BW deadlift in the last few months (210 kg at 70 kg BW). I’m in the military, and right now I’m in a course (don’t know if that’s the correct word?) that will go on for about 4 months.
The course in itself is not very physically demanding, but I will be doing some long slow distance running, pushups, obstacle course, rucking and the like a few times per week and for various reasons I chose to focus on some other goals of mine (lots of thaiboxing etc). The military and martial arts training doesn’t leave me a lot of time and energy for anything else, but I could make it to a good gym once a week.

I’ll also do some calisthenics and kettlebell lifting when I have the time, and do some COC gripper stuff throughout the day. From experience I can say that kettlebell overhead pressing and pushups maintain my bench niceley, but I’m concerned about my deadlift.

I’m posting in the powerlifting forum since you guys are experts for all things concerning strength, and any advice, set/rep schemes etc. for maintaining my DL with training once per week would be greatly appreciated.

Using 5/3/1 and doing only the deadlift day?

Deadlift, of all the 3, is probably the easiest to build without actually performing the movement. If I were you, I would do a lot of bodyweight stuff for the hamstrings and posterior chain (GHRs, back extensions, etc.) and train the lift directly when I had time/energy to do so. You can also do variations of the movement when you are fatigued (rack pulls, good mornings, etc.).

[quote]HatersGunaHate wrote:
Using 5/3/1 and doing only the deadlift day?[/quote]

That is correct, you must do the 5/3/1 for the deadlift as that is the optimal powerlifting program

I have done 531 in the past, and even though I like it and am a fan of Wendler’s work and his no BS approach to training, it didn’t do much for my max deadlift, I just got better at doing high reps and very sore. Thanks for the suggestion though!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Deadlift, of all the 3, is probably the easiest to build without actually performing the movement. If I were you, I would do a lot of bodyweight stuff for the hamstrings and posterior chain (GHRs, back extensions, etc.) and train the lift directly when I had time/energy to do so. You can also do variations of the movement when you are fatigued (rack pulls, good mornings, etc.).[/quote]

Good advice, thank you!

[quote]daraz wrote:

That is correct, you must do the 5/3/1 for the deadlift as that is the optimal powerlifting program[/quote]

Are you being sarcastic? I don’t really understand what you are trying to imply. I don’t think any program is optimal for everone.