Maintaining Calories

Now thats a shake!! You can stick with the ice cream if you sub it with some no/low fat low sugar stuff.
How much fat in the one you made?

You splitting that bad boy in two or is that one meal?

And no worries man, always glad to help out.

A

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
Made my first homemade shake just now. Followed AA’s recipe very close. Made a couple changes because of what I had on hand. I used Vanilla Ice Cream, I know not as clean but hey it was here. I used some chocolate whey that I had on hand, but I will buy some vanilla whey. I added a little hersheys syrup. As I did it, the shake totals came out to

1591 calories
91 grams of protein
184 carbohydrates

And it was actually tasty. You guys rock. Keep the suggestions coming.
[/quote]

Awesome!!, shit gotta go eat, I dont want you catching up to me just yet…

So far:

Meal 1:
Breakfast 1:
8oz OJ
1 animal pak

Breakfast 2 (20 minutes later)
1 big deluxe breakfast McD (cheated for today, ran out of my home made stuff)

Meal 2:
AA shake

Meal 3:
1 big bowl soup with chicken, sausage, shrimp, noodles, rice, all kinds of veggies - gotta love these chicks in my office that bring me food :slight_smile:

Meal 4 snack - currently

1 big sweet potatoe
2 bananas
2 servings mixed nuts

still to come…

Meal 5 - meaty lasagna

Train

Meal 6 - PWO shake

Meal 7:
Rice and salmon

Meal 8
AA shake

Should be 5500 plus

Todays intakes.

Breakfast

4 large eggs (300 cal, 6 carb, 25g)
Whole wheat toast(160 cal, 32 carb, 8g)
4 slices corned beef (210 cal, 23g)

Total: 670 cal, 61 carb, 56g)

2 AA shakes (1600 cal, 90g 184 carb each)

Surge Post-WO (340 cal, 46 carb, 25g)

Lunch: Baja Fresh Quesadillas (junk I know =D)

(1350 cal, 87 carb, 75g)

Totals thus far today

5560 Cal, 562 carbs, 336 g/protein

Advice is wonderful guys. Any more you can give I would love. [/quote]

Dont mean to hijack but how much of each ingrediant for the gallon shake, or do you just keep adding until it looks good? thanks in advance

Saw T-Dog on earlier, not sure if he has been on this thread. PM him, he will tell you, he is good people.
A

[quote]jogle1234 wrote:
Dont mean to hijack but how much of each ingrediant for the gallon shake, or do you just keep adding until it looks good? thanks in advance[/quote]

Doesnt the calcium in the shakes effect your nighttime ZMA? Should I try and squeeze them all in the daytime?

I drank the first about half an hour after lunch. I managed to knock it down in one sitting. Other about an hour after workout. Side effect was I was so sleepy… I guess my body needs a day or two to adapt to the solid attack of protein and carbs in one dosing.

Yeah it may take you a while to adjust. If you have the time and you are far enough out from the show, which I think you are, try to add 500 for a week or two and then add a 1000 calories. Give your body a chance to adapt on a more slower pace. That will also make it more realistic to maintain.

Doesnt the calcium in the shakes effect your nighttime ZMA? Should I try and squeeze them all in the daytime?

I drank the first about half an hour after lunch. I managed to knock it down in one sitting. Other about an hour after workout. Side effect was I was so sleepy… I guess my body needs a day or two to adapt to the solid attack of protein and carbs in one dosing. [/quote]

Easy calories = Walnuts and Dates

1/4 of a cup of walnuts = 200 calories!! And its basically only a handful. ANYONE on this board should be able to slam a full cup (800 cals) easily… Add in some dates or figs and you are looking at 1000 easssyyyy calories. It’s a good amount of fat, but eat it late at night with no carbs and you should be good to go.

Good point. But so fucking expensive dude! Any suggestions other than to rob a store or grow some trees? (tell me they grow on trees).

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

1/4 of a cup of walnuts = 200 calories!! And its basically only a handful. ANYONE on this board should be able to slam a full cup (800 cals) easily… Add in some dates or figs and you are looking at 1000 easssyyyy calories. It’s a good amount of fat, but eat it late at night with no carbs and you should be good to go.[/quote]

Could we possibly get a thread in physique and performance photos or a continued thread here leading up to the show with pics and any other specifics?

It’s always great following the progress one makes when competing.

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
Good point. But so fucking expensive dude! Any suggestions other than to rob a store or grow some trees? (tell me they grow on trees).

Lonnie123 wrote:

1/4 of a cup of walnuts = 200 calories!! And its basically only a handful. ANYONE on this board should be able to slam a full cup (800 cals) easily… Add in some dates or figs and you are looking at 1000 easssyyyy calories. It’s a good amount of fat, but eat it late at night with no carbs and you should be good to go.
[/quote]

They grow on trees =) and make a big fucking mess of the yard, street, sidewalk, and lawnmower…

I’m the same way in that it’s hard for me to get in a lot of calories. Eating enough is harder than putting the time in the gym for me. At least for working out, you put in your 1 hour and you’re done, but with eating, it’s like every minute you’re either preparing food, going somewhere to get food, eating food, or wondering when you’re supposed to eat next and what you’re going to eat.

The shakes are always a good suggestion. But I find that when I’m trying to really pack on mass, it’s better for me to eat more solid food. I prefer more shakes when cutting. Anyways, here’s some suggestions from my experience:

1. Get a loaf of whole wheat bread. Finish the loaf before the end of the day. You can also keep some peanut butter handy, too, if you’re really trying to up your calories. You can also substitute whole-wheat bagels.

2. Eat food that doesn’t weigh you down. Fast food and most restaurant food, although high in calories, just sits in my stomach and makes me full for hours. It makes it difficult for me to want to eat again. Foods like soups, bread, pasta, rice, stuff like that seems to fill me up, but makes me hungry again in a few hours. Find out what foods work best for you in this regards.

3. Drink more calories. Bulking is the only time when I drink fruit juices, gatorade, and stuff like that. Any other time it’s just water for me.

4. Trail mix and nuts are good things to snack on throughout the day. Peanut butter is good to just eat scoops of at night before sleep, along with some cottage cheese or other protein.

5. Meal-replacement bars are good if you’re constantly on the go – probably not the best food choice, but sometimes it’s just a case of something is better than nothing. I try to minimize them because, although they’re not filling, they just seem to kill my hunger and desire to eat.

6. Avoid foods that give you gas. Gas just makes you feel full and keeps you from wanting to eat. Plus your loved ones will be thankful for avoiding gas-causing foods. You just pay attention to what things give you gas. For me yogurt drinks, low-quality whey shakes, too much oatmeal, and other things give me gas, so I avoid.

7. Never skip the big breakfast. Getting started early is key to getting your calories in for the day.

Since you’re doing a clean bulk and trying to keep fat down, some of this stuff might not be best (like #1, #3, and #4 are things I only do when doing an all-out bulk and am not too worried about fat gain). But thought I’d throw out my thoughts for future reference, or to help out anyone else reading this topic who has trouble getting the calories needed.

Haha, I am such a foreigner!! I hate mowing the lawn already so there goes that idea.

[quote]Snoop wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:

Lonnie123 wrote:

They grow on trees =) and make a big fucking mess of the yard, street, sidewalk, and lawnmower…[/quote]

For increase in calorie intake, try the Anabolic Diet :slight_smile:

I can EASILY get in 4,000 calories. I think I could get more, but I’m just at the “maintenance” stage right now.

Also, I don’t drink any meal replacement shakes. I try and keep my protein powder intake to 1 scoop per meal, if that. Most of my protein comes from eggs, some yolks, cheese, and chicken.

If you think about it, 1 Tablespoon of good peanut butter (organic or natural), 1 tablespoon of flax seed, 2 egg yolks, and 1/4 cup of almonds is about 50 grams of fat (almost all of it is good). That is 450 calories total. Also, it isn’t that hard to eat at all.

I used to be on a high carb diet, but after going on the AD, I will never go back. Trying to eat all those carbs (good carbs), getting full, and getting the “afternoon crash” isn’t what I’m after.

Just my .02 :slight_smile:

If your a good cook (not saying your not) and you dont care about the extra carbs,you can get some whole wheat flour and all the ingredients to make a healthy pizza crust and make you a healthy pizza.

On the pizza crust youc an put a Tablespoon of olive oil before the sauce and load it with chicken anything you like.

Keep in mind that .25 cup of WW Flour is 100 calories and it takes AT LEAST .75 to a cup of flour to make a nice indiviualized pizza dough…

Then the cals will add up.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
For increase in calorie intake, try the Anabolic Diet :slight_smile:

I can EASILY get in 4,000 calories. I think I could get more, but I’m just at the “maintenance” stage right now.

Also, I don’t drink any meal replacement shakes. I try and keep my protein powder intake to 1 scoop per meal, if that. Most of my protein comes from eggs, some yolks, cheese, and chicken.

If you think about it, 1 Tablespoon of good peanut butter (organic or natural), 1 tablespoon of flax seed, 2 egg yolks, and 1/4 cup of almonds is about 50 grams of fat (almost all of it is good). That is 450 calories total. Also, it isn’t that hard to eat at all.

I used to be on a high carb diet, but after going on the AD, I will never go back. Trying to eat all those carbs (good carbs), getting full, and getting the “afternoon crash” isn’t what I’m after.

Just my .02 :)[/quote]

I have the anabolic diet, and I was going to use it for my cutting phase rather than my bulking phase. I can eat protein all day and lose weight, it takes me carbs to gain. Also I dont feel I will be able to take in 6000 calories a day on anabolic diet. For the cutting 3500 - 4000, I should definitely be able to.

As far as the progress and pictures, I will have some pictures taken tomorrow when my gf gets back from new york. (I send her away every now and then =D)

Im trying for a healthy mix of solid food, and shakes. The shakes don’t seem to fill me that badly, so that is definitely working in my favor. Personally, if I dont eat enough solid food, I feel like im starving, or haven’t eaten.

Totally unrelated question. Do any of you think NO2/Arginine or any versions of it is worth anything in a supplement routine?

Totally unrelated question. Do any of you think NO2/Arginine or any versions of it is worth anything in a supplement routine?[/quote]

Nope, stick to the basics.

Totally unrelated question. Do any of you think NO2/Arginine or any versions of it is worth anything in a supplement routine?[/quote]

I think its better than a lot of other products out there. I’ve tried a coule NO products and loved them. Even though the “pump” doesn’t mean anything, you get crazy pumps and your arms will be bigger than ever. And I know its not a placebo effect. The tape doesn’t lie :wink:

But, once you get off of them, you are back to normal. So, for that matter, the basic supplements (solid food, fish/flax oil, multi) and maybe AAS if you ever want to go down that road.

Have done arginine by itself, did not notice much difference

Basics for me bro:

Multi - Animal Pak
Liver Tabs
Creatine
Glutamine
Protein powder
Fish Oil

Glucosamine - if my shoulder hurts for a prolonged period I take it for a few months

Yesterday and today I hit between 5000 and 6000 clean. I have been trying to knock out the bulk of the calories during the day, leaving me the evenings to workout with not too full of a stomach. I’m making 2 20 ounce AA shakes a day, equalling 3000 calories and about 200g of protein. Basically half my daily totals work off in those two shakes. I went to the Nationals game last night, they got blown out, no beer, no soda, water and a sausage, took the bun off.

I’ve been adding olive oil to a lot of things, and packing extra meals in anytime I think my stomach will let me. Anything else I can do to make this more useful?