T Nation

Maintaining Brain Function on LCD

I love going low carb because I feel fantastic. The only thing I HATE is the fogginess I get in my head. I know all the noops and I currently have a nice stack going on, but as soon as my carbs drop below ~200 I get pretty foggy.

I know the brain can use ketones as fuel but it’s not prefered (so I’ve heard) over glucose. Does anyone have any tricks to keeping that brain power? I take plenty of Choline, other B-vits, Fish oil, etc.

[quote]duddy wrote:
I love going low carb because I feel fantastic. The only thing I HATE is the fogginess I get in my head.[/quote]

And there two statements do not seem contradictory to you?

To answer your question, the body should adapt in 3 weeks or so. After that, mental acuity will return.

No not really, everything BUT the fogginess. meaning fatloss is great energy is great mood is great etc

Ok, so some research shows brain function actually improves when running on ketones; that they are the brain’s preferred source of fuel.

Problem is, if you’re just using the <200g CHO as an arbitrary number, you’re not using ketones. There is a huge difference between <200g CHO and <50g CHO (per day).

The <50g CHO ensures ketosis is reached within 3-5 days, as the brain itself needs about 50g glucose per day, or it will seek an alternative fuel source.

As JMo pointed out, if you are in ketosis, after two weeks (sometimes sooner) you will feel great.

So basically, either bite the bullet and seek ketosis (<50g CHO per day) or don’t, and keep the carbs in.

Fat can be lost at an optimal rate, either way.

Gosh, Im hitting much lower carbs than that and i totally hate the way i feel. ( Im stimmed up) Sleep is hard to get. Honestly I recommend acid to restart your brain. It seems to turn on my mind no matter how low carb I go. Only Joking, try eating lower glycemic carbs, i feel a little better with slow digesting carbs. I flatten out if all carbs are low glycemic though. Good luck.

could be a personal thing. I’ve been on a LCD for 9 months now. I’ve worked 2 co-op terms with excellent reviews at both and a study term which I cleared with an 80% average.

[quote]Affliction wrote:
Ok, so some research shows brain function actually improves when running on ketones; that they are the brain’s preferred source of fuel.

Problem is, if you’re just using the <200g CHO as an arbitrary number, you’re not using ketones. There is a huge difference between <200g CHO and <50g CHO (per day).

The <50g CHO ensures ketosis is reached within 3-5 days, as the brain itself needs about 50g glucose per day, or it will seek an alternative fuel source.

As JMo pointed out, if you are in ketosis, after two weeks (sometimes sooner) you will feel great.

So basically, either bite the bullet and seek ketosis (<50g CHO per day) or don’t, and keep the carbs in.

Fat can be lost at an optimal rate, either way.[/quote]

x2

Also, the fogginess you’re experiencing can be from just overall low calories. If you remove a large part of a macro from your diet, you should place the calories with another macro.

My brain seems to work great in Ketosis. But I find that I need to be below 35g Carbs (only from green veggies) to be in ketosis.

A good way to track ketosis is obviously to get some Ketostix to test your urine. This way you can tell for certain whether your using glucose or not as most Ketostix test for ketones and glucose.

You state being around 200g and feeling groggy. It sounds like you have enough carbs to feed your body but not to fuel your brain to function optimally.

So you have to decide which route to take, ketosis or enough carbs, if your half way between the two, brain function will suffer.

LR